1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

how do you budget for disney?

Discussion in 'Tickets, Offers and Discounts' started by jojo, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jojo

jojo Imagineer

How does everyone budget? do you save a certain amount and then you just blow it all at Disney or do you allow yourself a certain amount on a credit card?

Do you plan every meal and approximate cost or what?

We have a certain amount saved but its the extras I know will blow the budget and its how to stay sensible whilst not spoiling the holiday by penny pinching

2. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

We generally budget a certain amount per day and try and stick to that, whether it be for food, drinks, souvenirs, etc....

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Everyone is different. I don't like to use credit or debit cards for general expenses, as it's easy to lose track. I reserve them for paying for the room, tickets, rental car or other large expenditures. Occasionally a meal, if it's for a larger group and at an upscale venue. But I usually know that I'll be doing that in advance. And I carry my debit card for emergencies. Real emergencies--medical, transportation snafus, etc. Shopping doesn't qualify as an emergency for me, unless it's a prescription or someting similar! :lol:

You can use the menus on this site to get a general idea of the cost of on-site meals. Off site meals typically are a bit less expensive for the similar types of meals on WDW property. If you plan to dine at WDW TS (table service) restaurants, you will need to make ADRs in advance--I think it's 90 days out for most locations, with exceptions for dinner shows at CRT.

That gives you a good idea of food/snack costs for budgeting. Shopping? We're back to everyone being different! I'm not much of a shopper, so my shopping budget tends to be bare bones, unless someone has asked me to pick up something for them. Others set a total budget for the trip, or per person for the trip or daily. If you have children, you'll need to consider how you want to handle that, depending on their ages. Adults buying something periodically for the very young, reminding toddlers that they can buy something (with a little steering to appropriate price range by adults) at the end of the day or before leaving the park, or giving older children a budget or allowing them to earn some money with extra chores before the trip. I sound like a broken record: everyone is different! :lol:

4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Well.. lets see...

We paid the holiday by CC. planes/resort/park tickets.... but it is all paid off before we actually go.

We take some cash (aobut 1000usd) for general expenses: tips/snacks/some souvenirs/meals

And we take our CCs for shopping, but with a set amount.... that way I know how much I can spend without getting into debt, but I dont have to carry all the money around

5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

we just save up as much as pos, simple as that really. pay for tix, flights etc on the card as and when we have it so pay it off right away. then scrimp and scrape to get as much spends as we can :D

6. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

i'll be living on beans on toast for the next 3and half weeks :donald:

7. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

:point: You just made me spit my water

8. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: This is one reason we usually get the DDp, so we don't have to worry about the cost of meals! Breakfast we pay oop but since none of us are big breakfast eaters $20. per day is more than enough to budget for all 3 of us. We're not big into shopping, something for each grandchild, Ty saves his money and brings about $25 a day to spend and usually he comes home with the majority of it! i swear he's been taking the same cash for the past 4 years! usually we bring about $600. in cash. We have our debit for emergencys'

9. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

We eat air... I have some good recipes for air!

10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We pay as much in advance as possible - car, tickets, etc.

Then we don't eat for 6 months prior to going. :lol:

We are off site eaters so that cuts the food budget a lot. We have a very loose daily budget that seems to balance itself by the end of the holiday and carry a credit card for emergencies of that ican'tgohomewithoutthat purchase.

11. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

We also pay for everything we can before we go, then we try and save about £2000 for the 2 weeks and the boys have they own money. we set a loose budget for each day but it's swings and roundabouts as some days we will spend more than others.

We do take a CC but we have never used it. I must say that on our last visit we didn't spend as mush as we already had a lot of the disney items that you would normal bring home, I brought a red DS on my last visit and DF brought a lot of blu-ray films home.

12. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

:laugh:

13. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Mostly the same as what everyone else said. We try to pay as much as we can before we go so we don't have to worry about the large amounts of money. Another plus for the dining plan is you don't have to worry about much money for food either :yes: So other than that we usually take half in cash of what we have saved and take a credit card. (we don't use them often and we make sure we pay the balance off right away if we do.) So we know how much we have to spend and we try to keep within that range. We know how much money we have at home so we can pay the card off when the bill comes. I just hate carrying tons of cash around. We don't budget for each day, we just keep a running total in our heads. The kids will have a bit of their own money this next trip , so that will be fun.