1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by mom-of-3, Oct 5, 2013.

1. mom-of-3

mom-of-3 Earning my ears

I am convinced there is some secret out there that I do not know about. How do people afford Disney all of the time?! Seriously?! We have 3 girls (8, 10, 17) and Disney is a fortune! Because I don't have 'little' kids, we stayed in a one bedroom villa, giving us 2 bedrooms and a washer and dryer. We also had a full kitchen, but that is not a necessity.
    We would love to come to Disney more often, but I really have no idea how people afford it!! Is there some magical secret I do not know about? We were lucky enough to get a free dining plan while we were here (it happened to be a special they were running at the time), but our room and park tickets were EXPENSIVE!

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice you have!!
  2. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I think it depends massively on the time of year, where you stay and for how long. For us, we go every 3 years or so, we can't afford to do it more often than that as we're limited to the expensive summer holidays - but that's because we stay for three weeks usually :D
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We don't have kids, we have Disney instead :D it IS very expensive though, I wince every time I click buy on our Annual passes. It's even more expensive if you include the Dining <gulp>
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We have been every year up until now, we always go at a quieter time of the year and I have always used air miles to pay for our flights, so that's been a huge help.

After this year though, I don't know if we will be able to afford to go next year, my miles are almost gone and with costs going up all the time, it might finally be the straw that broke the camel's back :sigh: :(
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

so you're basically saying the camel's got the hump? :p
  6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We only go every 3 years. :sigh:
  7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I live in the US so flights are much cheaper. I can also drive which is what we are doing in Nov. There are usually only 2 of us traveling and I think that makes a huge difference.
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Priorities in life come into play. Expendable income has many other priorities when children (or pets!) and other family responsibilities are involved. It's a matter of how much you can devote to an expensive vacation. Disney is very costly from my perspective.

I like Dawn's every three year cycle. That gives you the opportunity to explore other options that aren't so costly and perhaps closer to home.
  9. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Hmmmmm....never thought about our cycle...let's see, we went BC (before children) then when DD was 6, 10, 13, 16, and 21. What really seems to help us is using our Disney Visa card for EVERYTHING. We get 1% back and it adds up quick (especially when you use it for house renovations). We don't carry a balance, pay it off every month. I guess it goes that we go about every 3 or 4 years using the money from the card to pay for the Disney stay. We have only stayed on site and used the "Disney Dollars" for lodging, tickets, and most meals (especially with the DDP). It will be about another year and we will have enough to cover our stay. Then again we don't stay as long as many UK friends. Can't imagine staying there a few weeks! Holy cats that must be awesome.
  10. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Growing up in a family of four from Chicago we would go every 2 years and drove each time.

As an adult my wife and I (no kids) would go about once a year when we lived in Chicago and Minneapolis.

Now that we live in Florida we had been going 2-3 times a year but not always staying on property. We have a timeshare we would exchange with Marriott near by. We also get discounts being FL residents.

Even for us now with prices continuing to go up we have taken a bit of a break from Disney trying to do other vacations we have wanted to do.
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, same here. With the increasing prices at WDW and the current impossibility of obtaining a walk up full service meal, we have taken to spending our extra pennies elsewhere. We still go to WDW, and do love our DVC, but we almost never dine with WDW any more. :sigh: We cook in our villa, and bring our own snacks. I guess that's one of the ways we conserve money and make it possible to go when we can. We would like to go to the FWF this year, but not sure if we are going to be able to make it.
  12. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

We have been going every two years. We try to book as far in advance as possible and then break down the cost of the holiday to a manageable monthly saving budget. We tend to book when the dining plan is available and always get two companies to battle for our custom by going back and forth with prices until we get the lowest we can. It always pays to build a relationship with your local travel agent. We are now known as the 'Florida boys' in our local agents! :)
    The best thing to remember is that you have the power to walk away from an agent and go elsewhere and they will normally bend over backwards to get your custom.
    Dorothy likes this.
  13. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Growing up, I remember my Dad making our next reservation at the same time we were checking out during the current trip so we knew we were officially coming back before we even left.
    Watchinherskip likes this.
  14. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

When I was working full time we were able to every couple of years for 2 trips. It's been 4/5 years since we last went and this is mostly because my mum and dad are very kindly paying for our flights and tickets and we are staying in their timeshares so all we have needed is spending money.
    Our next planned trip (I know i know we haven't even gone on this one yet lol) will be in about 5 years. I plan on keeping an eye on flight prices and try to get a rough idea of costs.
    I wish we could go every year but unfortunately flights and ticket prices are a little too expensive.