1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How do you get to WDW?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by foreverducky, May 15, 2011.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

In past I have had to fly to WDW, however, during my two years in Tampa I was able to drive there. That little tidbit was the best thing about Tampa.

With the way airports are going, I really dislike like flying nowadays. It seems like such a hassle. I have thought about amtrak, but there isn't a direct route from my new location.

I was thinking about driving, but geez, the route is about 15.5 hours long.

Just curious as to how others travel there.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Not much choice for me but to fly from the UK :lol: but if it was a 15.5hr drive, I'd do that and make the drive an event :) stop at some cool little places and make that a bit of fun in itself.

3. foreverducky

Yeah, unless you plan on swimming there isn't much of a choice for you.

I have a love/hate relationship with driving. I like the control that driving gives me, but 15 hours is a long time to drive.

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

We drive. For us it's about a 7 1/2 hour drive down to Orlando. But I'm with Keith on this one. If it's 15 1/2 hours, I'd make a 2 or 3 day trip out of it. Maybe drive down to Nashville or the Great Smokey Mountains. Perhaps spend a day in Gatlinburg or Cherokee, NC. Then drive on down through Georgia down to Florida.

When my DW and I took our first Disney Cruise, even though it's only an days drive for us, we took our time with it. Drove the first day down to St. Augustine, FL (about 5 hours). Stayed there a day or two. Then, the day before the cruise, took a leisurely drive down A1A to Port Canaveral. It was probably the most enjoyable vacation we've ever taken! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... slow down and smell the roses!)

5. foreverducky

I have heard great things about St Augustine. :yes:

Sounds like I really need to change my mind set. It doesn't look like it's a bad drive.

6. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I am going to ST AUGUSTINE on 26th of august for 4 days really looking forward to it. Went for the day 2 years ago well worth a trip

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Like Keith, we have no choice but to fly, but I'd drive though and stop half way :)

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

With air fare and car rental up in the stupid category we normally choose to drive or take the auto train. We planned to do that in November. But the one way fare for us and the Durango was almost $600. :surrender::insane::insane:

9. catrancher

:jawdrop: :thud:

Tom :)macwave:... not riding the train at those prices!)

10. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Growing up in Chicago we always used to drive...I294 to I65 to I24 to I75 to Florida Turnpike.

When my wife and I moved to Minneapolis we would fly. Hated it because there almost always was a connecting flight (Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Dallas, Tallahassee).

Now since moving to Fort Myers we drive. I75 north to I4. Usually takes around 2.5-3 hours and almost exactly 200 miles from our front door.

11. foreverducky

I guess if I drived then I could buy as much as I want to bring back! :yes:

Oh, a 3 hour drive would be nice. Connecting flights really are annoying.

12. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Bob and I like to drive, but we take at least 3 days to get there/back. We like to stop along the way to see/do stuff and usually take a round about way there and back so it's something different each time.

If I am going by myself then I fly since I just want to get there and start having fun :yes:

13. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We have no choice like many others being in the UK.

If we lived in the States we would probably drive as jai does like a 'roadtrip'.

Last year while staying at the villa we visited New Orleans which was around 10 hours drive. We stopped off at Tallahassee (big mistake - it was a ghost town) as it was about half way, just for one night then drove on the next morning but on the way back we did a straight run and just stopped off for lunch.

Sandra

14. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Another UK person here and I would love to be able to drive to WDW, it's so much easier driving over in the states. One day hopefully if we ever get the chance to move over to the US :thumbsup:
    If we were there already we probably would drive and make a road trip out of it.
    :wiggle:

15. foreverducky

I am in awe of how many people actually enjoy road trips.

16. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

We live in New York City and we have driven back and forth about 10 times. Its about 17-18 hours of driving, we usually leave NY about 4 am drive to Savannah or Jacksonville and crash for the night. We get back up early in the morning and finish the drive. The anticipation of getting there is exciting. The kids watch movies and play video games while my wife reads or annoys me with her chattering :tongue:. I only stop for gas and bathroom breaks. The last time we drove was 2009 and I drove straight through from NYC to Orlando. The drive home is usually a sad one and it seems like it will never end and I usually say "this is the last time I am driving to Disney" :surrender: then the summer comes and I cant wait to take the ride again.:tongue:

17. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

We usually fly, but this trip we are taking the leap and driving :yes: With the cost of flights and all the crazy things they are doing these days we thought it would just be easier. Plus we can stop whenever we need to and let the kids run a bit and we can take much more of our own things, which is going to make everyone more comfortable, I think. It is about a 21 hour drive, but we are going to take a few days to do it. :wiggle:

18. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

haha you got the driving bug now eh!! id love to do that too if i was say going for 3 weeks or more

19. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I used to LOVE driving. When I was younger (late teens, early 20's) I was living in Illinois (USAF) and would drive to VA on a long weekend. I drove from IL to Wichita Falls, TX when the AF sent me there for training and then again to Keesler AFB, MS for more training and from Keesler to Hanscom AFB, MA before I got sent to Germany. When I came home from Germany I drove to Omaha, NE, from there to Dayton, OH. Now, though we normally end up making several long drives over the course of the year I am really hating having to do all that driving. But it is the cheapest alternative right now.

20. catrancher

Ewww.... Sheppard Airplane Patch. Been there. Done that. Got the scars to prove it! :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... thanks for the memory John!)