1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How do you save for disney?

Discussion in 'Tickets, Offers and Discounts' started by goofygal, Mar 5, 2009.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

I need some tips :( with the exchange rate being so awful I cant believe how few dollars we'll have if I change what we've saved so far :((

How do you all save for disney? :hug2:
  2. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Budgeting, for the most part. I maintain a spreadsheet for income and basic expenses (mortgage, property taxes, maintenance, utilities, expected vehicle maintenance & operation, etc.), and anything that remains goes into discretionary spending. I include food in that category. I know the minimum amount for food, so that's deducted next--plus additional if restocking freezer or pantry. A small amount goes to wardrobe & entertainment.

Then I allocate for serious maintenance and repairs on the house, vehicle replacement and travel. I used to have one savings account--which makes more sense financially if dealing with compounded interest--but added a separate savings account for travel to be sure I reach my goals. Most years. :rolleyes:

Beyond that, the change jar. Usually about $100 to $300 per year. It goes directly into the travel fund. I used to sell on e-Bay, but really don't have the time or interest any more. I was just eliminating stuff that I didn't need or want.

This year I'm also subcontracting service work from a group of CPAs during tax season. I'd love to say it's going into the travel fund, but the house is having a mid-life crisis, so I'm afraid it's going toward that. :sigh: I'm thinking I might get back into tax preparation for next season--we'll see how that goes when classes begin in the fall!

Oh! And if I have more than $50 remaining from my travel funds for a trip, it goes back into the travel fund! Gives me a head start on the next trip, but I don't feel deprived--I can spend $50 if I choose! :lol:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

have you got anything to ebay? that's what i'm doing at the moment
  4. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

I save up the spending money by having a holiday accout and:

1- saving all loose change e.g 1p,2p,5p,10p,20p and paying it into the account every month.

2 - DH gives me £5 each day and I bank that, then buy premium bonds each time I reach £100.

It's amazing how quickly it mounts up. :thumbsup:
  5. Britchick

have you had much success with the premium bonds?
  6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I buy a lottery ticket every week without fail.
  7. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

:yes: Nothing big but a couple of £50's, which still made it an impressive return on the savings. :thumbsup:
  8. Britchick

cool :thumbsup:
  9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I save all my copper and 5 pence's. I also save £2 coins, it's surprising how quickly they add up.

I also use my Virgin CC to pay for everything (I pay it off each month) that way I earn flying club miles and get a companion flight and upgrade vouchers every year. Another good thing to do is offer to buy things for people and then you earn extra miles as well :lol:

I then buy my ticket and use the companion for Chris (he only pays the tax) or I use the miles to get two economy flights and then use the upgrade vouchers to go PE. All we pay then is the tax :thumbsup: I am lucky though I can go whenever there are seats available as I'm not tied to school holidays when there aren't any seats available.

Chris works as much overtime as he can, but that's dried up now unfortunately.

We also ask for money for birthdays and Christmas which we put towards our holiday fund.
  10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I save change. It adds up quick. I also put money each payday into my ING account. Any rebates, etc go to the vacation fund. I also buy our AP's when I get my tax refund.
  11. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

This is a great quesiton

and Im loving all the tips!!

Im taking them into account!