1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question how easy is driving in floida ?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by orbsuk, May 16, 2014.

1. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

hi guys been looking at the costs of getting around & this time were thinking of hiring a car as it will work out cheaper :confused: i hope .also would like really want to vist other places like clearwater & miami are on the list can anyone put my mind at ease never driven aboard before but every where i look its saying its so easy:oops:

2. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

I'm not a brilliant driver either. And actually driving from Cardiff to heathrow is about the the limit for me. But I'll push and go to gatwick for the BA Flights.

When in Florida i actually quite enjoy driving there. The roads are wide and easy to get around. Definitely get a satnav. A good one. I use a tomtom app on my iphone and a window mount. Without that I wouldn't be able to navigate.

Just remember. If it rains turn your light on. You can turn right as long as there is no sign saying no right turn when red and there's no traffic coming.

There isn't any roundabouts.

The exits on the motorway can be on either side of the motorway.

In all honesty Florida is full of retired people and holiday makers and they have a lot of patience so drive slow take it easy and enjoy yourself.

orbsuk likes this.
  3. Coolape

Oh don't pass a school bus if he has his sign out. Even if it's on the other-side of the road.

4. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

thanks coolape i've got to man up & just do it lol but if the wife thinks im going on rollercosters she best think again thats one fear i cant over come :mad:

Coolape likes this.
  5. Coolape

Oh I won't mention the big swing in old town Kissimmee. I did that on the eve of my wedding.

6. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Driving in Florida is one of the highlights of my trip!

The roads are lovely and wide, everyone's so laid back, you just get the chance to take it all in. At some point during the trip, I always end up smiling to myself in the car!

Coolape's right, get a satnav, if you're nervous, it takes finding your way out of the equation, then you just concentrate on staying on the road.

When I first started, I found myself saying to myself 'they drive on the right' three times before setting off. You will initially want to straddle lanes, as your mind wants to be in the same position in the lane as you would in a right-hand drive car. Doesn't last long though.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Driving in Florida makes me grit my teeth and say colorful words. Collectively, this state cannot MERGE, so be prepared for that. The driver ahead of you is as likely to come to a dead stop at the end of the entrance ramp to a major highway as s/he is to keep going. Also, the majority of drivers are quite slow and that makes me bonkers too.

Never, ever for any reason take a chance on driving after you've had a drink. Being arrested for DUI here is not a pleasant thing.

Mind the buses as you've been warned. Some roads allow you to pass if the bus is on the other side of a four (or more) lane highway with a median.

If you have little ones, you'll need a car seat, or booster seat depending upon age. Everyone, regardless of location in the car/vehicle wears a seatbelt.

Lights on for safety during rain, fog, 1/2 hr before sundown and 1/2 hour after sun up...

Does that help at all? You'll be fine!

orbsuk likes this.
  8. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

thanks for info Tink would i need seat for 8 year old & if so do u buy or rent them ?

9. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

You don't need a seat for an 8 year old. And I find driving in Florida easier than driving in England.

orbsuk likes this.
  10. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We made sure we ask the basic controls too.

orbsuk likes this.
  11. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

I love driving in the states. Last year we went with my parents and I did all the driving except for 2 occasions.
    We managed without a sat nav but if you are nervous it's best to get one. I went on google maps street view a few times before we went to see where we went from the airport to our hotel. It made the first part of driving after that long flight a bit less stressful.
    If you need to be somewhere at a certain time give yourself time for wrong turns etc lol.

orbsuk likes this.
  12. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

all very good info guys thank u to u all :cool:

13. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

another question :mad: sorry .whats the parking costs in the parks ?are they quite high wifes asking this one :eek:.i wanna go with car idea so u dont have to leave parks early to get buses & so on . we looked up taxis & its like $40-45 for i-drive where we are staying to the parks each way :(

14. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

shes telling me now u have to pay toll charge & then parking on top she doin my head in lol :confused:

15. Coolape

Which parks are you going to? Universal or Disney?

I can't really remember about costs but if you pay at one Disney car park and decide to go to another Disney park, you can use the same ticket.

17 dollars seems to ring a bell. I'm sure someone will answer soon.

You definitely need a car for Florida I think for the freedom.

16. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Yeah it's about 17 I think, you don't have to take any toll roads in Orlando. Remember that that you'll need to tip the taxi driver too, that adds to the cost.

I find driving in Orlando more difficult than in other parts of the US as it can get quite busy at times. Having said that it's much nicer than driving in the UK, a lot fewer cars.

17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The only issue with driving in Orlando are mostly tourists who don't know where they are going.

FL has one of the most lax laws concerning car and booster seats.

Parking at the parks at WDW is about $18 a day. You can go to another park that day and not have to pay the charge.

We stay offsite frequently and I've only gone down the toll roads to get to and from the airport.

18. Coolape

I've only used a few toll roads during my stay. The total only came to 12£ at most. But that was going through them quite a bit. As we had family staying in a villa nearer Disney. Whilst we stayed at universal.

19. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Parking in the parks is currently $17.

20. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I have driven in Florida for many year going to places like St Augustine ,Miami ,Key West ,gulf coast.Before you leave the car hire lot find out about the controls especially the lights and wipers