1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question how easy is driving in floida ?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by orbsuk, May 16, 2014.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

On I-4 there's 2 toll booths between the airport and the tourist area - about $1 each I think. No tolls around the Disney/Universal areas. If you drive out to Kennedy Space Center it's about $4-5 each way in tolls. And $17 a day for the theme parks. No parking fee at Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.

orbsuk and Tony G like this.
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Unless they have added them since December there are no tolls on I-4. Getting to I-4 maybe depending on how you go. And from the airport you don't even have to get on I-4 to get to Disney. There are tolls on 417 however and they may not be manned so you'll want to pick up some quarters at the airport

3. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

I just drove through using the Florida pass thing. Alamos cars are all tagged.

4. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

thank u all great feed back

5. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

been looking at prices today & best i can find for suv type car is £680 for 3 weeks incs satnav & full tank of gas is it worth taking my own tomtom what im used to & putting usa maps on it for £40 ? just incase .

6. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

Definitely take your own sat nav. It's a money pit renting one. You'll save money too by buying your own maps.

orbsuk likes this.
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I would definitely take your own sat nav.

Have you looked at carhire3000 or Brits Alamo. Their prices are normally good.

We always pre-pay for fuel because it saves the hassle of finding a garage on the way to the airport, but you do pay over the top for the luxury. I know the majority of people just make sure the tank is full when they take it back.

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

The tolls are actually on the 528, there are definitely no tolls to pay on I-4 at any point.

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Right. No tolls on I-4. 528/turnpike/408/417/429... those are some of the toll roads in the greater Orlando area.

Here is a helpful site for some safety laws (including carseats) in Florida. Not having your child in a carseat will result in a fine, and if there is an accident with the child injured, it gets stickier because Child Protective Services will be called in. A distraught mother recently committed suicide by driving head on at a high rate of speed into a concrete embankment (about 9 months ago). Florida State Troopers have cracked down a lot since then, as she had also released her four children from their car seats prior to the crash, which resulted in three of them being killed.

Not being seatbelted, not having children in proper seats/boosters, passing stopped school bus and blowing intoxicated on a breathalizer are the most common (and quite serious) infractions.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/safety-laws.php

Oh, and be sure to pull immediately to the right if at all possible (if not, pull left, or stop) while signaling your intent when an emergency vehicle with sirens and lights comes toward you from the front, or behind.

10. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

thanks tink looks like i just need a booster seat for the 8 year old my other daughter will be 14 the day after we fly out .i found a pdf booklet on line telling u all about how to drive on floida roads downloaded it to my phone .

Tink likes this.
  11. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

wife just told me we land at night time so in at the deep end for me lol .

Tink likes this.