1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

how hard is it to drive in orlando?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by wishonastar, Jun 29, 2009.

1. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

ok for a first time how hard would it be to drive over there? I think Id just get lost and panicked in the airport but everyone seems to be fine so its making me feel like an idiot for worrying

2. Mark_W

Mark_W Earning my ears

Honestly it really is quite easy. The roads are big, a minimum of a dual carriageway over here. If you do miss a turn then it is usually very easy to do a u-turn at the next set of lights or if you are on the I-4 (motorway) then the junctions in and around Disney are only a mile or so apart so you can turn back. Once you are in Disney then the signs for each individual park are everywhere and very clear.

As long as you have a rough idea where you are going and you know your North from your South and West from your East then should have very little problem.

3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i much prefer to drive over there than here, its so easy, but there are a few rules you have to know

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Well, I thought it was ok but a situation has come up where I would be driving myself (no DH in the car) and I haven't got the confidence to travel any distance alone, especially in the dark and part of the journey is in quite a remote area.

I'm trying to get some taxi quotes :anxious:

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's not bad really. :yes: You'll want to be on the lookout for school buses (if you are here when school is in session). If they stop you are required to stop regardless of whether you are behind it or oncoming. (Unless you are six lanes over).

Be on the lookout for school zone signs and lights. If the lights are flashing you'll have to drop to the posted speed. Sometimes there are no lights, just signs with times of day that you have to reduce your speed.

Lights on when it rains. Buckle up always. Children under four (?) in a car seat. If there is a police or other emergency vehicle (and Road Rangers are emergency vehicles) on the side of the road, you MUST move over a lane, or reduce your speed 20 miles per hour BELOW the posted limit. You'll get a ticket if you don't.

On roads of more than two lanes (in one direction) you can and will be overtaken on either side. It's not necessarily legal, but happens all the time.

Motorcyclists do not have to wear a helmet if they have a certain amount of insurance.

You can turn right on red after coming to a full and complete stop. You can turn LEFT on red if you are going from a one way to a one way street.

There are some round abouts, but not nearly as many as in the UK.

Drinking any alcohol at all and driving will run the risk of a severe penalty and heavy fines. If you are going to have even one drink, plan on NOT driving.

Some toll booths are not manned so you'll need exact change. It's a good idea to keep a roll of quarters handy. :yes:

In the greater Orlando area, although I 4 is an east-west road, I 4 runs north and south. It's enough to disorient you if you are not aware of it!

Stay OUT Of west Orlando at night. (West of Division Street, Gore Street, Central Ave, Hughey, etc.). Staying off the OBT (Orange Blossom Trail) at night is a good idea too. :yes: Unless of course you are looking for those folks who do funny things for money. :eek: :mental:

If you take Sand Lake to the airport you won't have to pay any tolls. :D

If you inadvertently "run" a tollbooth, it could cost you $100 in fines (or more). There used to be an informal "free pass" for the first time someone ran a tollbooth. No more. They've really started to crack down on this.

Cops drive all sorts of unmarked cars and pickup trucks. :yes:

6. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

I'll never drive again Tink!!

7. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

After reading Tink's comprehensive post, I'll stick to taxis. DH refuses to give it a go (he had driven for 30 years, no accidents but does a lot of business mileage with work so says he wants the break) I have been tempted butthink for what we would use it may as well get cabs.

8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That's how we feel too!

We do spend a lot on cabs but I generally discount the first x hundred as money I'd have spent on hiring a car, insurance, petrol anyway.

We can drink whenever we fancy then and not worry about it.

9. Tink

Oh geez. :( I didn't mean for it to upset anyone or put anyone off driving. I was just giving some info on the main laws and things that may catch out a driver who is new to the area.

It's really not all that bad. :sorry:

10. keith

no no, you havent honestly! everyone says it's easy but it's very important to know the often unspoken rules to avoid getting tickets whilst on holiday

It's just that I think for those of us who are not convinced that we should drive on holiday anyway, it just re-enforces that feeling.

I KNOW I'd get lost even though everyone says it's signed and easy. To be honest, I just don't really want the stress

11. Tink

OK. :sigh:

I would find it stressful to not be able to come and go as I pleased! LOL. I must admit though, watching the cars zip around in Dublin did give me pause. :unsure:

I'll drive when we next go over, but I'm sure it won't be a stress free experience! :lol:

12. keith

Just give it a miss if you go to Paris, that's all I'll say :lol:

Thing is, we do come and go as we please by calling a cab :lol: No, I do know what you mean and every so often I do wish we could just get in a car and go but since there really is usually an alcoholic drink waiting for us at the other end, it probably wouldnt work out anyway.

13. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

No you haven't upset me at all - it was a really interesting post and I learned a lot from it. I agree with Keith and just see cabs as part of the cost of the holiday. It doesn't deter us from venturing out of WDW and it means we can both have a drink without tossing a coin for whose turn it is to drive.

I'm sure we will give it a go one day :)

14. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

That was a great post Tink. Infact l think it should be made into a sticky. I can't drive but my DH has always driven on our previous trips.

15. DisneyDreamer

DisneyDreamer Earning my ears

Once you get over the initial shock in culture it's a breeze.
    Just relax and if youre lost pull over somewhere safe at the earliest opportunity, the orlando folks are in my experience only too pleased to put you back on the right route if needed.
    The biggest thing for me on my first time was getting used to being able to turn right on red once I had checked it was safe, I soon got used to the idea once I had a few local drivers reminding me :sorry:
    Enjoy !

16. Tink

I think if someone is going to do a bit of travel, like to KSC, or visit the other non-Disney parks, it might be a good idea to rent a car for those days. Condense those travels/visits into one time period so that you would only need the car for a few days of the holiday instead of all of it. :yes:

Oh, another thing that you'll want to be super alert to. When it first begins to rain, the roads become VERY slick. Drive with extreme caution. The heat of the pavement melts bits of tyre, plus oil is on the pavement from any number of sources all which create a nasty surface at the beginning of any rain. It's something I had to learn when I came down here. I didn't understand at all why people drove "differently" in the rain. It's a bit like driving on thin ice, not quite as severe, but if you use that mindset you'll be ok. :yes:

17. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i find it quite scary being a passenger around the busier roads but then i don't go on the busy roads here as i'm a country bumpkin!

18. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We always hire a car as we tend to do a few days road trip and go other places than the main parks. DH has no problems driving over there....I'm the wimp!
    In the past, when DH was in the pool, I did take the car out by myself.....once.....and couldn't pluck up the courage to go beyond the local villas :lol: