1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How long for New York - any hints/tips/advice

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Isafari, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Next summer, we're thinking of either going to New York on the way to Orlando or taking a few days in the middle of our holiday and getting a return flight to Orlando.

What would you say is the minimum amount of days we would need to see the major attractions?

Any tips on flights?
    Any suggestions for hotels?

Any info at all will be gratefully received as it's all totally new to me.

2. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We stayed in July for 4 nights at the Affinia Manhattan, booked through Hotels.com

It was right opposite Madison square gardens and we walked everywhere - I absolutely loved Ny and can't wait to go back

We booked Virgin to JFK and then homebound from MCO toGatwick.

We booked our internal flight separately to Orlando and used JetBlue, the flight was $81... bargain

Sandra

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We spent 5 days in New York a few years ago as a package trip to see Eric Clapton at Madison Square Gdns. [No surprise there then! :lol:]
    I reckon that you would be able to see most of the "touristy" parts in around 3 days at a fairly leisurely pace [Empire State Bldg., Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Macy`s etc.etc....maybe a show on Broadway?]

4. Isafari

Thank you so much guys :)
    I think I'm going to need a lot of help with organising this little trip so I'll probably have lots of questions.
    Sandra - great tip on using the internal flight from JFK to MCO :thumbsup:

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Remember that VA fly to NY Diane so maybe you could get a good deal on your FC miles.
    I`m told that there are more reward seats to NY than to MCO so they should be easier to come by. :thumbsup:

6. Isafari

Thanks - all tips greatly appreciated :lol:

7. Isafari

I have no idea of the scale of things in New York. The idea of being able to walk to each attraction from a hotel sounds great.

Places I can think of that we would like to see are
    Empire State Building
    Statue of Liberty
    Central Park
    Times Square
    Ground Zero
    Watch a broadway show

Am I missing anything? Any of the above not worth it?

8. arkvilla

We did Rockefellar Centre too and St Patricks Church which is right opposite it so I would add those to your list too.

Sandra

9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

It is a lot of walking - we stayed on West 35st - 1 street away from the Empire State Building about a 10 minute walk to Times Square. We had 9 days and had very long days with lots of walking and still there was a fair bit we didn't see.

An idea of timings - we spent a whole day in Central Park and we only got around just over half of it (including The Central Park zoo).
    Statue of Liberty Day we were on the first ferry at 9am (you need to arrive quite a bit earlier than that to clear the airport style security) we did Liberty, Ellis Island and we were back 'on the mainland' at about 1pm. The queue for the ferry at that time was probably a couple of hours long!! So top tip get there early! :lol: Oh and if you want Crown access you need to book in advance.

Also I much preferred the Top of the Rock (rockerfeller centre) over the Empire State Building. We did the Top of the Rock again first thing as it opened and we had it pretty much to ourselves - the view of Central Park from there is amazing!! You also get to see The Empire State Building which obviously you don't from the ESB itself! :lol: The ESB we did late at night to get a different perspective and it was just one big push and shove to get a space to see! Nothing like the romantic image I had of it! :rolleyes:

DD and I saw Wicked! DH and DS went to a Yankees game.

Other things we really enjoyed were the circle line boat trip around manhatten, we did tours of both Madison Square Gardens, Radio City Music Hall and NBC studios - all were excellent! Loved an evening bus tour we did over to Brooklyn to view the NY skyline at night too.

We bought a New York pass which gave us admission to all those places, they sell them for varying amounts of days.

10. Isafari

Thanks Sandra :thumbsup:

Lisa......
    I have so many questions :unsure:
    Did the time you mentioned at CPZ include your visit to CPZoo?
    What time of year did you go for the queues to be so long?
    What is Crown access?
    Any links for the tours?
    More info on the New York pass please.

11. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We were there last August, it was extremely hot!!

Yes we got to the zoo as it was opening did that first and then hit the park - if you think how big you may think CP is then multiply it by 1000 you may just have some idea of the scale of the place. We did most of the sites in the park - Bethesda terrace (in the film Enchanted), Strawberry Fields, the boating Lake, Alice in Wonderland statue, the baseball/softball fields, and Belvedere Castle which is a bit further north in the park but definitely work a visit as its very pretty with some fantastic views.

Crown access allows you to go up into Liberty's crown, they only allow so many a day to go up and they were sold out before the day when we were there so if you want to do that you need to book in advance. Our tickets were monument tickets which allowed access to the top of the plinth on which she stands - you can look up inside the statue from the top of there and there again are great views from outside.

Not sure if I can put a link to the place I got my pass from so I'll PM you :)

12. arkvilla

Butterhead on secrets lives in NY and sometimes drinks in the bar of the hotel we stayed in so he knows Manhattan really well. He sent me some details of restaurants and I'm sure he'll help you too Di.

I forgot to say we also did Greenwich Village

So much to see so little time.....

Sooooo jealous - I absolutley LOVED NY

Sandra

13. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Another vote for the pass you can get- it was really good value for money :yes:

14. Isafari

Thanks for the links Lisa - they are very useful to me :hug2:

Thanks Josh - any do's and don'ts from your point of view?

I had thought of him - hopefully he'll be around shortly and will give me some ideas too

15. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I shall be watching this closely as this may be part of a bigger road trip next summer if all goes to plan :thumbsup:

16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Love NYC! I just said the other day that I need to go purse shopping lol

17. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I was born and raised in Manhattan and still live here. I can help you with restaurant and entertainment recommendations and things like that however I have never needed a hotel so I dont have any to suggest and have no idea how to get good rates(sorry).
    My favorite things to do here are:the Museums, Broadway plays,Shopping, Bronx Zoo,Yankee Games,bar hopping and of course dining. There is so much to do and see here that you could spend 43 years here and not do everything :biggrin:... I havent been to the statue of Liberty since I was kid. I have never been to the top of the Empire state building or the Rock. I love Times square although my wife cant stand going there, she complains that is way too crowded for her and it makes her neervous. I love Central Park and could spend all day there however the central park zoo is very small and can be done in an hour or two. The Bronx Zoo is super cool and extremely large and in my opinion is a cant miss.
    It is a great city and a lot safer than people think, with that being said you still have to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. If you have any questions just ask and if I dont know the answer I will do my best to find out for you.

18. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Are you available for being a tour guide? LOL

I've been trying to convince my DW that New York is a great place to visit.

19. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

John it really is a great place to visit and it is very safe, I believe that Donna would love it here. I am a NYPD detective and have been with the department for over 19 years. The city has made a huge turn around in regards to crime over that same time period. Times Square was a scary place back in 1980's and even in the early 90's and the subways were dangerous, but now I would have no problem allowing my 15 year old son to go to times sq. with his friends.
    There are so many great restaurants here and there is nothing like a Broadway play. My least favorite season in NY is the summer and I wouldn't really recommend coming here during July & August. The Spring is nice and the fall is great too but there is something about NY during the Christmas season that is magical. A nice dinner,a broadway play and a horse and carriage ride through Central Park during a light snow and Donna will fall in love with New York, now if I can only get you to root for the Yankees.

20. Isafari

Thanks for all the great help and advice so far Butterhead - I'll be sure to get back to you as I have absolutely loads of enquiries/questions about New York.

Oh dear - that is the only time we can go! :unsure: