1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How long for New York - any hints/tips/advice

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Isafari, Feb 21, 2011.

1. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We went 24th July for 4 days and it was absolutely lovely. If you are used to the Florida heat and crowds then NY will be a doddle :)

I can't wait to go back

Sandra

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Yeah, right, figure the odds on that one. :tongue:

3. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: Lucky you, I haven't been in years! Don't forget to take in some of the museums in Ny, they are outstanding and well worth it. There are many places you can walk to but not all, You will have a fabulous time. There are many small places to eat that are well wrth it and not as pricey as the well known steak houses and The Russian Tea Room.

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Be SURE to do the Village, and stroll through Soho. :yes: Dean and Deluca (the original one in the Village) is my all time favorite "grocery" shop. :yes: :mental: Stop in just for a browse, but I KNOW you'll have to buy something.

Poke in every shop you see. There are wonders that you'll find no where else. Unfortunately, you'll not be able to buy some of the best things you'll see (food items)! :D

The Brooklyn Bridge is stunning. South St. Seaport is a bit fun, if a little boring (but nice enough for a rest). Battery Park is another great place to visit.

The Intrepid... is it still there. :unsure: I thought I'd read that it was being moved? :unsure:

Just simply BEING in Manhattan is wonderful. NYC is truly the greatest city on earth. The Yankees are the BEST ball team and even if you don't think you'll understand the game, GO TO A YANKEES GAME!!!! It's the quintessential, "perfect" American experience.

If you get the change do a bit of a tour of the Bronx and Brooklyn.

Oh and Chelsea!

Seriously, the more time you can spend there the better. It's a huge city and has so much to offer, you'll never see and do it all, but give the first time a good go! :yes:

Oh, and I'm as jealous as all get out. :sigh:

5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

A big recommendation from me would be breakfast at The Clinton Street Baking Co - it was the best breakfast I have ever had! It is only tiny and there is a queue outside before it opens every morning so it fills straight away and stays that way! It's all good fresh food and their muffins are fantastic - we had to wait a while (well not long at all in our eyes!) for breakfast so they bought round a selection of muffins straight from the oven - they were the best I have ever tasted and then we were too full for breakfast! :lol:

After breakfast we then walked across town - through the village (stopping at Dean and Deluca because Tink told me I had to ;) It is well worth a visit - gorgeous shop!) to Magnolia Bakery. Lets just say that walk was a lot further in real life than it looked on a map, especially in 95 degrees!

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OH! I'm so glad you had a chance to stop at Dean and Deluca! Isn't it wonderful? I LOVE that shop. (Gee, there's some news). :embarassed:

7. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I can't think of anything I didn't like :unsure: I have to say though that if I only chose one art gallery to visit it would be the Guggenheim. It's fantastic if you're into art. I'm not really a major fan but I still enjoyed the museum. If you're limited on time and not a lover of art I would give them all a miss :yes:

Something we LOVED was the deli's available all over NY. The food is great and ultra cheap. It feels typically 'New York' to eat in one of those and is a great way to save a bit of money on the cost. That being said, if your budget allows there are some amazing restaurants in New York :yes:

The Disney store is great and you can even meet some characters on the top floor :yes:

8. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

I completely agree with Lisa on the Clinton street bakery, the pancakes are the best ever. Try going during the week and try the maple butter :yes:.

I would say do not forget Grand Central Station and remember to go down to the food court, they have juniors and magnolia bakery. To be honest there is not much to be seen at ground zero as it's all boarded up. Our best meal was at the boating lake central park. People say dress up but there was a mixture of people dressing up and in everyday clothes.

9. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Hey Josh they closed the World of Disney on 55th and 5th a while back. They have since opened a Disney Store in the heart of Times Square. The new store is nice but there arent any characters in the new store.

10. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Lisa i have their cookbook that i bought from Amazon. I made the pancakes yesterday and they tasted as good as in the restaurant

11. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I'll have to check that out - thanks! :)

12. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Recommendation: travel guide "Eyewitness Travel's Top 10 New York City" by Elenor Berman. Published by DK Publishing (I bought it at Barnes & Noble). There are "Top 10's" for every borough/neighborhood, plus other tips & tricks, plus a pull-out map. I memorized it before I went.

Looooooved NYC! Was there last September for a couple of my BFF's wedding so we were on a tight schedule but saw as much as possible. Amazingly enough, Manhattan is very walkable and you can do quite a bit in one day.

If you're worried about how to get around, the subway system was VERY easy for me to navigate. Let me preface this by saying, it's incredibly hard for me to get lost but...There are maps in every terminal and the stop is announced before every stop, either by conductor or electronically on the train, depending on what line you're on.
    I think we bought a week pass for around $25 for unlimited service. And the subway is NOT scary (I was worried, as I am kind of a country mouse). We stayed with friends in Brooklyn (Bayridge) so we were on the train quite a bit.

A few highlights:

Ground Zero - As an American, this was at the top of my list to visit. No words can describe.

Battery Park - you can catch a ferry to the Statue of Liberty, which we did not have time to do, but you can still see it from the park.

Wall Street/NYSE/South Street Seaport - Pretty cool area to see. And the bull sculpture is literally in the middle of the Avenue of the Americas on the way to Battery Park. The seaport area is on the river, you can see the Brooklyn Bridge. There is a good pub down there called the Heartland Brewery.

City Hall area - I can't even describe how cool it was when I got to see Manhattan's City Hall (I'm a nerdy city planner, myself). And my friends got married in a building nearby and one of the buildings they use for the show Law & Order was there. In general it was awesome to see buildings that I've seen used in movies & tv shows.

Central Park - walked all around from the south end up to the Museum. Incredible public space. God bless Fredrick Law Olmstead.

Tiffany & Co. (bought a souvenier there - and it's right by Central Park & the Apple Store which is cool to see. And the Plaza Hotel is right there, too.)

Chinatown/Little Italy - The San Genarro festival was going on while we were there and we ate in Chinatown (I wish we would've eaten in Little Italy, haha!)

Rockefeller Plaza - My friend and I decided to do The Top of The Rock. I'm glad we did. It was only ~$20 and totally worth every penny of the views of the Empire State building, Central Park, and the surrounding area. Incredible. Incredible. Incredible.

Times Square - Heart of the city. Lots to take in. I suggest going in to M&M world for a delicious experience.

Macy's - We walked from Macy's to Times Square no problems. Go to the back of Macy's to see the world's oldest working wooden escalator (fun to say you've rode it).

Bryant Park/NYC Library - I wanted to go in the library and reenact Ghostbusters but we didn't have time. Bryant Park is a great outdoor space to witness. And if you're a fan of Project Runway, well...then...it's legendary. I almost wet my pants when I saw Parsons and I kept my eyes peeled for "Mood" (never saw it).

Much, much more. I want to go back soooo badly.