1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

how many dvc points is useful?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Eeyorerocks, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Eeyorerocks

Eeyorerocks Earning my ears

Ive always wondered this when I hear people talk about dvc

How many points is a useful amount? I mean for say a 2 week stay each year at a decent hotel?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

It really depends on what time of year you plan to go :unsure:
  3. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We have 160 points and that gets us 18 nights every other year in a studio in August. So about 9 nights in August every year in a studio - obviously other times of the year are more points per night (August is quite low in points per night) and larger accommodations are more points per night. :)
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

DVC points are best used at DVC resorts. There are several choices of those resorts at WDW (and elsewhere but thats another feature of DVC).

How many points you want or "need" will depend upon the accommodation you want. Studios take less points than other forms, but one bedrooms (and up) have so many additional features that some folks decide they "need" that over the studio. Also, of course it will depend upon how many people in your party. Studios hold four adults and one child under three (in a port-a-crib). That's pretty crowded by my standards, but many, many people are ok with it.

It also depends upon where you want to stay. Old Key West takes the least amount of points, for the same accommodation as other DVC resorts. We find OKW to be one of the very nicest DVC resorts, but will gladly admit our bias. :D

It also depends, as already stated, on when you want to be at WDW. The year is divided up into four categories with each category requiring more points than the next.

For example, a studio at OKW will take less point in value season than it will Christmas Week (the highest point usage).

If you use your points to stay in a non-DVC resort room, such at Grand Floridian, you will use more points than it would have taken to stay in a DVC accommodation for the same time period at the same time of year.

Hope that helps a bit?

We have 310 points (since 1996) and still wish we'd bought more when we bought in! :yes:

I believe the minimum is now 160 (where is used to be 150) points. There is a maximum allowed points too, but I don't remember such lofty numbers. :D (The maximum was put into place so there wouldn't be any instances of retiring at WDW, or so the story goes).
  5. Missus T

Missus T Imagineer

We just bought into DVC in may and we bought the 100 point a year package, which looked like the minimum, tink, but i don't know for sure. we can't quite stay for two weeks a year, but it's definitely worth calling them for some info. they'll send an email link that shows the point system and how much a stay costs, at which resort, for what time of year. we prefer disney in the off season, so that works out even better for us. good luck!
  6. Tink

100 points! That's less for a minimum than when we bought in. :yes: It was 150 minimum points then.
  7. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Ooo..does anyone have that email link? I would love to have that information to really get an idea of what we would be looking at cost wise :unsure:
  8. disneyeater

disneyeater Earning my ears

The number of points you should get is basically dependant on 5 things:

1. Number of people or size of room
    2. Time of year (although you may find this changes over the years)
    3. The resort you plan to stay in
    4. How long or often you plan to stay
    5. Your budget

With that information you can better assess how many points are optimal for your situation. If you want to post some of the info above, I can offer some suggestions.
  9. Shellyamc

1. I would say 4 adults and 2 kids. We like to have some room to spread out.
    2. We usually go in October. We would try other times of year, but we like Fall best.
    3. Not sure of this one. I really don't know what is available right now.
    4. We would like 2 weeks I think.
    5. Budget..hmmm. Hard to say. With as expensive as the DVC is I think the budget is already blown.. :lol:

Thanks! I would love to have an idea of what we are shooting for :D
  10. Tink

4 adults and 2 kids would need a two bedroom villa or two studios.

OKW is the least expensive, points wise. By that I mean it takes less points to stay in OKW than it does in the other DVCs.

Kidani Village is a GREAT DVC for kids! (And adults who love animals).

Buy where you want to stay the most, is the general concept for DVC. It's not as huge a deal when talking about the on property WDW DVCs, because let's face it, you are on property! :D

It does matter if you are considering buying into Vero Beach or Hilton Head (and "old" way to get into DVC for a bit less, not sure if that is still the case). In the early years, people bought into Vero Beach, for instance, because it was less comparatively than the other DVCs. However, with the growth of DVC, it's trickier and trickier to book stays at other than your home resort, so buy where you most want to stay.

I checked HH and VB for any availability this entire summer (long weekends, not during the week) and there is NO availability! :eek:
  11. disneyeater

Based on this information, I think you would be looking at a 2BR villa for your number of people.

September, October, and early November are some of the cheapest times to go, point wise, so that works well.

I would highly recommend visiting the resorts if possible before you buy. I was set on buying Boardwalk until we went to visit Old Key West and fell in love. Remember, all resorts are available on the resale market so you can get whatever you want if you don't mind the resale restrictions.

So, for 2 weeks in October in a 2BR you are looking at anywhere from 464 points at Old Key West up to 760 points in a Magic Kingdom view room at Bay Lake Tower. That is certainly a lot of points.

A few options are, just do a week and cut those points in half. Just go every other year and cut those points in half. Rent two studios instead of a two bedroom and knock it down to 312 points for Old Key West and 584 for BLT.

The best advice I would give is to look into resale. You can get points at 50% or less of what Disney is selling them for if you like Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, or even Boardwalk.
  12. Shellyamc

Thank you so much for the information!! :thumbsup: Good to know what we are looking at. I honestly would never to the resale. We have a friend who just bought in that way and with the restrictions on where they can stay and the reduced years (only 45 I think) it really doesn't seem worth it. They also wanted to stay at HH and needed to go back and buy a whole new set of points to be able to do it. Doesn't seem like much of a savings to me. :unsure:
  13. disneyeater

I think you need to look more closely at the resale restrictions. You can stay at any DVC resort, including Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. The number of years you own is based on the resort you choose. It has nothing to do with resale vs. direct purchase. The ending years for each resort follows:

Resort Opening Date Contract End
    OKW Fall 1991 Jan 2042 or 2057
    VB Fall 1995 Jan 2042
    HHI Mar 1996 Jan 2042
    BWV July 1996 Jan 2042
    VWL Nov 2000 Jan 2042
    BCV July 2002 Jan 2042
    SSR May 2004 Jan 2054
    AKV July 2007 Jan 2057
    BLT Aug 2009 Jan 2060
    VGC Sep 2009 Jan 2060
    AKO Aug 2011 Jan 2061

Not trying to tell you what to buy, but want to make sure you understand the restrictions correctly. You basically cannot use your points for a cruise, a adventure by Disney collection, or the Disney hotel rooms that are not Disney Vacation Club resorts. Most members find these options to not be a good value for their points anyway and choose to rent their points and pay for the vacation with cash if they want to do one of these options.
  14. Shellyamc

Interesting. I do know that what my friends purchased was the DVC- less what the original purchaser had already used. I also know that they wanted to visit HH and had to purchase another set of points in order to do it. Really it doesn't make much difference though, it isn't something I would do. Dh and I figure that if we are spending that kind of money then we want the full package direct from the company. It isn't something we want to fool around with. :yes:
  15. disneyeater

Well, obviously it is your money and your decision, but I think if you are going to spend the kind of money you are looking at for 2 weeks in a 2 BR every year, 50% savings is a significant amount.

Again, your decision, but I think you are doing yourself a dis-service by not at least looking into resale a little further.
  16. Shellyamc

Thank you.

I was really just looking to see the amount of point that would work for us.
  17. disneyeater

I hope I was able to help you out with that.