1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How much to tip

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by jojo, Feb 25, 2011.

1. jojo

jojo Imagineer

seriously here, how much is it permissable to tip in orlando

I know that they always say 20% and now some of the cards apparently say 25% and I know that we should tip properly but last night some friends of ours were over from washington and they laughed when we said how awkward we were with 25% tip as we really cant afford that much

Our friends said that no one local tips anywhere near 20 or 25% unless theyve had an amazing experience

So whats the truth? is this another tourist tax or do locals really tip that high?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I normally work on around the 20% mark for tips at restaurants [maybe up to 25% if the service was exceptional] and this has been accepted gladly in all the places we`ve been.
    I never tip anyone at a counter service restaurant though and this is not expected.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The key word in your question is the word "permissible". You could tip 100% if your heart desired as there is no real limit to what is permissible. The generally accepted norm is 18-20% for a full table service meal. 10-15% for counter service (Not what Disney calls counter service and NOT Fast Food). By counter service I mean places like diners where you sit at a counter as opposed to a table. However, if the service is lousy feel free to tip less. And please don't necessarily blame your server for everything. For example, if your meal is overcooked or under cooked it is NOT your server's fault. If you have a major problem at a sit down dinner please feel free to discuss the problem with a manager.

4. Springs1

Springs1 Earning my ears

This is not always true.

Your server can put in your order wrong, meaning that let's say you order a steak medium rare, but your server actually puts into the computer "medium WELL", so YES, it IS TRULY your server's fault.

Also, if it's something that's OBVIOUS to the EYES like overdone fries that were specifically ordered "not overdone, lightly cooked", if your server brings out your food that IS your server's fault since it's obvious to the EYES without touching the food to notice it's wrong.

If there's anything burnt that wasn't ordered that way that isn't covered up by anything, but you choose to serve it to the customer anyway, IS your fault the customer receives the mistake.

5. Cinderella94

Cinderella94 Earning my ears

I guess I'm wrong in a way because I tip on overall enjoyment of the meal and if it was rubbish then the tip is rubbish too. I didn't realise that in Orlando I was tipping just on the bringing out of the food which provides me with another problem. If all I'm tipping someone for is taking a simple order and bringing out a plate then heck, thats not a hard job and I'm not sure I Want to tip loads for that anyway :lol:

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, here we go! Everyone KNOWS how much old Tink likes the subject of tipping! :lol:

Regardless of what preprinted cards and tourist area restaurant staff may tell you, the standard is 15% for full service, and 12% for buffets, adjusting upward for better service.

A server will be automatically taxed on 10% of the total bill, so not tipping is really egregious and should have involved a discussion with the manager.

Servers can control a lot in their position, so yes it is acceptable to question them about the quality of the food, however if the food you order is not served to order, then again ask for the manager directly. It's the standard and expected way to deal efficiently with problems.

However, when I go out to dinner I do not want to have to deal with talking to managers, cold food, improperly cooked steak, food served out of sequence, ect. so I don't usually ask to see a manager. I may mention something to the server, or not as my mood fits.

I usually tip at the 20% mark to start and adjust upward (or downward) from there. I tend to tip the same at Disney buffets as I do at full service because the servers there really are working to clear the tables, serve drinks ect.

I don't tip at any counter service, ever even when there is the "tip jar" prominently displayed. The people working at counter service get paid a fair hourly wage and do not rely on tips to make up their wages as do servers.

7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We noticed last year that Disney full service restaurants have started "advising" you what 18% of the total bill would be. :nono:

We usually double the tax and leave that as a tip for full service, a bit less at buffets and nothing at counter service or places where the server throws your change at you in a huff. :rotfl:

8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Everyone knows how much I love Charley's steakhouse but last time we had a guy who was perhaps new, I hadn't seen him there before, and he said "shall I just add the standard 25% gratuity?" I said um no? he looked miffed and walked off... then he brought the bill with 25% gratuity on it - circled in pen with "thanks" scrawled next to it. I called him over and had a moan, he said oh the back room staff must have done it. then he went away, brought it back without the tip on but had written on it "25% = 30% = "

I've always tipped 25% + at charleys anyway because everything is so good, but I made sure he didnt get anything close to that this time.

9. Tink

Yep, that's the sort of stuff I LOATHE!!!! If the server assumes I'm too stupid to know how to tip, I'll educate him on manners, and then his manager on staff training. :hopmad:

I really, really, REALLY hate it when you've left cash and the server says, "Do you need change?" Quickest way for me to drop that tip to the standard 15%.

Another serious peeve is when the server has been a grump through the whole experience and suddenly turns on false charm and smiles when it's time for the tip... ummmm... no. I tip on the overall experience.

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Funny you should say that Keith as the same thing happened to me at Charleys on our last visit....maybe the same server? :unsure:
    In my case however I never noticed that the server had indeed added his tip onto the bill and I therefore added a tip onto the total!!!!
    He sure got a good tip out of me that evening!!!
    [Must remember to carry my reading spectacles at all times when we dine out in future!]

I personally think that this arrangement of automatically adding the tip is not playing the game fairly.

11. Tink

I agree one hundred percent, Slowhand. It's not fair, in fact it's in the "dirty trick" category. :(

I wonder if Charley's has changed its policy and now does it as a matter of course? 25% is pretty darn outrageous. :nono: