1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

how old were you on your first trip?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disneymom, Sep 18, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

some friends and I were talking about this, how old were you when you first went to Disney? What are your earliest memories of it and what do you miss most when you go back?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Old. :D :lol: My very first trip was not something I'd like to remember. It was a day trip only to MK and I was not with folks who made it anything but stressful. (They thought EPCOT was only for drunks, if that gives you any indicaiton of what sort they were). :rolleyes2:

So, my first "real" trip, where we stayed over and did all the parks came on a spring break when I was nearly done with Uni (non-traditional student here [another way of saying old :D ] ). It was an offsite stay, for about three weeks. We had a wonderful time and I fell in love with Disney! Discovered EPCOT, and it became my favorite park. :yes: I remember having a very close budget so we did a lot of things like carry our lunch, snacks, ate at the suite, those sorts of things. :yes: We did have a wonderful dinner at the French Cafe (it was open air back then) and watched some of the fireworks. :yes: We went to Firecrackers at PI. It was a fun place. Had some nice snacks. Shared cheese plates and sips of wine... that sort of stuff.

We had a ball at MK running around like kids (there were four of us, the other two were quite young and kept us lively). :yes:

Those early days were such fun. We didn't have much money at all (we all shared a turkey leg :lol: ) but we enjoyed every minute of our stay! :yes:

3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I was 21 and on my Honeymoon :lol: I remember it all.

I miss everything about it. I miss the magic and the feeling that you really do leave the "real world" behind when you go to Disney. It feels like home when we are there. :p015:

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i was 43 and fell in love with the place and orlando as a whole. wish i could live here

5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I was 24 on on our honeymoon in 1995 - DH had been once before with his family - I remember just wanting to get the wedding out of the way so i could get to Disney! :lol:

We stayed at a villa in Davenport - we were living in a tiny 2 bedroomed house at the time so it was complete luxury having this enormous villa with pool all to ourselves :D

We had a 4 day hopper ticket for Disney, we did BG, SW and US, Gatorland and KSC.

I burst into tears when I walked into Town Square for the first time (still do now tbh :D) it was somewhere i had dreamed of visiting since i was little.

I remember eating at Tony's in MK which had a character meal at the time and being completely blown away by the fireworks and parades.

How we managed with only 4 days at Disney - we will have 21 days next year and that still won't be enough for me :lol:

6. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

31 first trip to DLRP and 36 first time to WDW :)

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

First trip to Disneyland 1984, age 36

First trip to WDW 1987.

8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

I was 38 when I first saw the castle for real. :yes:

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I was 24 and took Alysia for her 5th birthday.

10. Tink

OK, so maybe I wasn't so very old. :D

11. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

I was 30 years old. I loved it at first meeting. Had the sinking feeling after leaving it on that first drip of PDD...post Disney Depression. Had a similar feeling after seeing the NY World's Fair as a boy. I knew I could never go back to the World's Fair...but I could go back to Disney and have. BTW..my daughter has that same gene...she gets depressed after leaving every time. Her first trip was at the age of 6.

12. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

My first visit to Disneyland was in 1955--two weeks after it opened! I was three years old!

Based on age, my memories are a bit sketchy. I do remember that my cousin, DC, was 12 years old and "did not want to go to a kid's park!." He sulked about it the first week of their visit--strange thing to remember, isn't it? :lol: Disneyland and theme parks were a new concept, so no one knew what to expect.

I remember riding the tram from the parking lot to the park entrance and being afraid I would slide of the seat while the tram was in motion! Not likely to happen--my father had me securely anchored! Then there was the interminable wait while he purchased admission and ride ticket books.

Dumbo! I was far too young to ride alone and my mother didn't do heights. Ever. Period. If she couldn't reach it from the ground, she didn't do it. So my father had the honor. He was fine with heights, but hated going in circles! Let's just say we had the lowest flying Dumbo!

The carousel! I loved it! The sight, the sounds! And slow speed! :D DC fell in love with the Autopia--that saved the entire trip for him! :lol: I vaguely remember hanging out around the area for some time, but my mother and aunt took my cousin JC (age 9 at the time) and I on the teacups and something else--can't remember what--while my uncle and father waited for DC.

The fireworks. Absolutely incredible. No music or narration at the time, but the display was huge! At that time, everyone still had their own Independence Day fireworks. If there were community fireworks, we weren't aware of them, so this was stupendous!

The last thing we did was ride the train around the park. I was terrified of the diorama--what can I say? All those dinosaurs just waiting to devour me! :lol: That became our family tradition--last attraction of the day was to ride the train around the park, then leave. :sigh:

First visit to WDW: 1981 as an adult. You can do the math! :D I was there Labor Day weekend--Saturday through Monday, returning home on Tuesday. It was tagged onto the end of an east coast business trip. :)

MK was the only park--it was Walt Disney World. The Magic Kingdom was still Disneyland at that time! :lol: EPCOT was under construction and I was able to take the monorail to a platform built near the geodesic sphere that became Spaceship Earth. Had no clue what it was going to be at the time!

Quite honestly, I was a bit disappointed in MK compared to Disneyland at the time. It was much larger, but seemed rather two-dimensional in comparison. Very spread out with a lot of space between attractions. Still, there was a lot to do and I had a wonderful time.

I think my favourite was River Country, as I had been to only one other water park (Big Surf), and it was strictly a wave pool with a beach. River Country was a lot of fun! :lol:

Nothing really stands out, other than WDW transportation. That was a novelty--Disneyland had the Main Street vehicles and monorail, all of which actually were attractions rather than strictly transportation. Everything was well within walking distance at Disneyland.

13. Tink

Wow! That's a lot of memories for a three year old! :D Interesting that the spaces at WDW's MK are interpreted in that manner. :yes: I always enjoy reading another persons' perspective!

14. disneywishmom

disneywishmom Earning my ears

Me too!!! I always wanted to go as a child. I grew up watching all the Disney Sunday night specials. Disney also liked to torture me with "backstage" highlights of new rides. I remember watching a whole clip about the Haunted Mansion. I begggeeedd my parents to take me. We have never gone on a family vaca. So during my senior year of college I saved money and took myself to disney for spring break (with another disney friend). So, I am taking my parents for the first time this year. My parents are in their 60's. This will be our first family vaca (with my parents). My kids are thrilled!:minnie::sigs-tv-010::smiley4::smiley3::sigs-cartoon-005:

15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

DWM,
    I could have written your post! I always wanted to go to WDW. My parents said it was "too expensive" so we never went. I have always loved all things Disney and watched all of the tv shows, etc. I took myself as an adult. I didn't get back to WDW after that first trip in 1996 until 2002. I took my dad in 2003. I took my sister in 2005. I took my mom and my sister in 2006. My sister came with us again in 2007. It would be so awesome if we could all go at the same time.

16. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

It was in 1990 and i was 19. I had been desperate to go since being a little girl. My parents were not bothered. In my first job i saved and saved. I went with my BF (who is now my Husband). I was so excited to see the castle and Mickey. Bought every single plush i could find. We came back and booked to go again in 1991 but had to cancel as we decided to get married instead. So we went back in 1992 for our honeymoon. Had 2 weeks in Orlando and a week at clearwater. My parents who weren't bothered about Disney went in 1991 because i had gone on and on , about how good it was.
    We didn't get back to WDW until 2003 and then 2006. We went wto DLRP in 1998 but haven't been back again as it seems so expensive in comparision to WDW.

17. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

I was 33, went with 2 other families, we stayed at FW. I had the oldest child at 15, the youngest was 3. What a great family time, will always be my favorite.

18. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

You notice most of them were fear or awe! The mundane pretty much escaped me--except for DC's fascination with Autopia! I mainly remember having to hang around waiting for him--he used two of his tickets (I think it was a C), and two each from my uncle and father--six rides! :eek: :lol:

Remember, in 1981 MK still had a lot of open space. It still has open space, just not as much as it did then. It felt as though someone had taken Disneyland and spread it out--a lot! :lol:

These days I prefer WDW to Disneyland/CA, for the most part. It's become more of a destination then a day or two in the parks. Serious down time! :D

19. susanm

susanm Imagineer

i have been a disney fan since a kid...grew up with Mickey Mouse club etc...first trip was when my oldest niece was in a dance group that was chosen to dance in the magic kingdom...and i was 42 years old....i loved it so much i was there last summer for my 60th birthday....and it was my 25th trip...

funny part--i always looked at the travel brochures and thought the trip would be too expensive....but then i found the all star resorts......and always pricing my next trip....no overtime right now at work...no hours at the part time job :nono: so this year is not looking to promising :shrug1: but want to retire next year....so that can be my retirement gift to me :yes:

20. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

What a nice retirement gift to give yourself Susan :hug2: