1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How safe to book airlines in advance?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by dvcjane, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dvcjane

dvcjane Imagineer

with http://www.flyzoom.com/ going bankrupt and leaving people stranded, Im feeling worried about booking expensive flights with other airlines to orlando now especially since the flights will be in a year! thats a lot of time for them to have problems. Am i just being stupid?

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I think it's just a risk you have to take, especially with the smaller airlines. Mind you Pan Am weren't that small. :eek:

Just make sure you have all the relevant insurance and stuff and try not to worry, you've probably more chance of your car breaking down on the way to the airport.

Oh no, now you're worried about that. :rofl:

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

We've been dealing with that for nearly a year on domestic flights. Even if the airlines survive, they are constantly changing their flight schedules--frequently without notifying passengers of the changes! :eek: Granted, we're looking at lower costs depending on our point of origin and destination, but the $200 fares from PHX to MCO and return are long gone. Decent fares are $400+. Mostly significantly plus! :lol:

If you book well in advance, definitely recommend purchasing travel insurance. Be sure it covers the airline you're booking. Some US policies have eliminated certain carriers.

4. Val

Val Disney Secrets

when booking a flight directly on a website, use a credit card, it will help protect your money. when booking through a TA (in the UK) or a consolidator, make sure there is Airline Failure Insurance protection included in your quote.

Some charge extra for this, some will offer it as part of their service.

5. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

thanks val thats useful information Im worried about this too

6. Val

Val Disney Secrets

no problems at all. Our company has an independantly held trust account and has Airline Failure Insurance cover included free of charge, so these are all things you should be looking for, when booking. Ensuring that whoever you entrust your money with, has it well protected from loss is the key in the current climate.

7. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

We paid an extra pound on our travel insurance in case the airline fold. I would hope AA would not but you never know.

8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive always booked in advance, mostly 18 months out and now only use Virgin, went chartered once, never again tho

9. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Some travel agents i spoke to are only taking short date bookings if dealing with one Tour Operator that has canceld one of its major destination programs and as this TO does a lot of holidays to Florida there is concern in the market about them. So as Val said ensure you use CC when booking flights and package deals

10. Val

Val Disney Secrets

Some companies, we will just not deal with, if there is sufficient evidence that things are not adding up.... we stop sell them. Rather that than deal with the fallout from shattered dream holidays thanks all the same ;)

11. Poohtle

Poohtle Imagineer

I've been looking round for travel insurance companies who offer something like this. Who are you with?

12. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Id appreciate knowing that too, I note that some simply won't offer this protection at all (and its certainly not standard)

13. Poohtle

Poohtle Imagineer

Well, I really wouldn't blame insurance companies for not offering this.

14. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I do :angry-smiley-053: ive just checked and found out ours doesnt. whats insurance for if not to protect us against unforeseen things like this

i'll definitely only book with one that has this in future :(

15. Val

Val Disney Secrets

the agent or retailer selling the flights should be offering this.... either as I say included free (as we do) or for a nominal fee.