1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How scary is the haunted mansion please?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by buzzchamp, Jan 4, 2009.

1. buzzchamp

buzzchamp Imagineer

We have a little one who is already scared, is it too scary for little ones?

Is it actually worth the time to ride?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

if they are already scared then i wouldn't let them ride. I think it's definitely worth a ride- it's one of my favourites :thumbsup:
  3. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

It's not scary at all, it's not pitch black and nothing tickly touches your face, it's not that kind of ride where you are scared out of your wits.
  4. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

OMG ITs not scary well not anymore than its supposed to be :point:

Its meant to be family friendly and Ive never seen any problems or heard any crying

it's the best ride at Disneyworld and you just cant miss it :worship:
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We have a six year old in our family who is afraid of Haunted Mansion. She will go on it though. She buries her face in her Da's shoulder during the opening bit (that part can be scary). Not sure how she does on the doombuggy bit, as she always rides with him, but I'm guessing she hides her face.

I've seen young children cry, and shriek (in the opening bit) and end up having to be taken out. Some little ones just aren't happy with this attraction.

All you can do is explain what the attraction holds to the child and take it from there. It may work out ok, and it may end up being a no go.
  6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Mine were scared the first time they went on it (I think they were 4 and 7 at the time) - they were scared of what they thought might happen rather than anything that did actually happen. They went on it again though and realised it was fine they loved it. :yes:
  7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We traumatised 3 kids in one go on this ride so if your little one is already scared then I would give it a miss.
  8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Okay.. I have to butt in here.... If you really want to do the ride and see for yourself, because only you know your children best, then one of you do the ride to see what it's like first. However... it IS Disney and you may want to tell your child that nothing in Disney will actually hurt them. Seriously it wont XXXXXXX I think what freaks the kiddies out is the actual word Haunted?..... maybe just say.. let's go on the Mansion ride?
  9. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I think its actually quite scary for little ones - but you know your kids better than anyone - one year we went and they were fine the next they had gone through that stage they all go through of being apprehensive. Its Disney and the last thing you want to do is spoil a holiday for the sake of a ride.

FWIW I think the preshow will scare the willies out of them - it did me first time I rode but thats just my 2 pennies
  10. nattyk

nattyk Earning my ears

we took our 3 on it (8, 5, 4) this year and asked not do the pre-room as that is the bits that scares them - so they took us thur so we could by-pass the room - then the kids were fine, well abit afraid of the dark, but held their hands tight!!

x
  11. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

That's good to know Nathalie :thumbsup: I agree that is the scariest part and I would never have thought to ask if you could bypass it.