1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How scary is the tower of terror?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disneymom, Jan 13, 2009.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

It's something I've always wanted to try but been too chicken to, so how bad is it really? Is it really just a lift up then a drop and are the drops violent at the end?
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I love this attraction and even my DW who is not a "white knuckle rider" has been known to go on it too!
    There are several "drops" and they are randomly chosen so that seldom do you get the same experience twice. [In fact, you don`t "drop", instead the mechanism pulls you down at a greater rate than gravity!!!] :unsure:
    Yes you do get that "stomach in your mouth" sensation but you are well strapped in and totally safe. :thumbsup:
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

None of the drops are what I would call violent. I absolutely love this ride. In fact it is my favorite at WDW. However, my DW won't ride it. She doesn't even like regular elevators.
  4. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

this was my experince and you may not feel the same but i went on it against my better judgement and was on the verge of wailing like a baby!

DH and the boys who were 10 and 5 at the time found that quite amusing and laughed at me....lots!

they had a fabulous time :yes:

oh, and i had to tell people ALL about it when i got home.....it was that therapy which aided my recovery!
  5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

The build up is the scariest part to it - the atmosphere is what makes this ride so special - my 3 year old rode it and loved it :D
  6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Definitely the 'ride' part at the beginning and the anticipation is much scarier than the actual drops - the drops feel quite 'controlled' iykwim.
  7. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

how sad is it that i have never seen this written before but I knew instantly what it was
  8. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

:lol:

Scarier still I find myself speaking in abbreviations , I am always referring to Colin as my DH :lol:
  9. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Years ago when my DW and I took our first trip together to the Studios, I had heard of the Tower of Terror but never ridden it. Of course, it was high on my "must do" list. However, that was NOT the case for my DW. She is definitely not a thrill type person.

After much begging, pleading, cajoling and wheedling, I finally convinced her to give it a go. So, into the queue we go and all the time we're waiting, her anxiety is building... and building... and building... By the time we got to the actual ride, I wasn't sure she was actually going to go through with it. However, trooper that she is, she did indeed board the elevator and sat next to me (of course).

At this point, she insisted that I put my arm around her, she buried her face in my chest, clutched onto my arm, and, I believe, held her breath and didn't look up again from that position until the ride had "come to a full and complete stop"!

As we were exiting the ride (with her still shaking like a leaf and still slightly blue from holding her breath), she turned to me and literally shouted the following for all and sundry to hear (unusual, if you know my wife);

"That was great! Let's go do it again!"

Ever since then, it's been her favorite ride and is at the top of her "must do" list every time we go. :laugh2:

Tom (imagine if you will, a post. A seemingly innocuous post in an otherwise normal thread.)
  10. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Uh-uh, no way, no how!

I do not like the feeling of being dropped. I know it's controlled. I know it's safe.

I rode it once.

And my equilibrium still can't deal with it. :sigh:
  11. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

I have a friend who says she hates it because falling on accident is enough for her....forget about falling on purpose..

Half the time you dont know if you are going up or down!

I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this ride and I too have taken a 3 year old on it...and they cried..but then asked to go on it again...well at Disneyland
  12. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

we got denise on it on our first trip just said to her its pretty tame, she came off white as a ghost :lol:
  13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Completely agree with this. This is my favorite ride in all of WDW.
  14. Tink in Pink

Tink in Pink Earning my ears

I was mega scared when i went on it in October as hadnt been on it for 5 years, but when you actually get passed the first drop you realise it isnt that high, my 7 year old sister had her arms up. The build up is the scariest bit. Disney is all based around kids so dont think they can make it overly scary.
  15. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Not for me! :eek: I've been on it twice (slow learner) and won't be doing it again thanks. Don't like the sensation AT ALL!!!

The second time we were on it, Herself's 70+ year old Mom was with us. She's yelling, "Whoooohooooooo!" on the drops and I'm hanging on for dear life doing Lamaze coaching breaths! LOLOLOLOL.

Nope. Not a drop down fast person tatall! :D
  16. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Lol Tink! Imagine you being scared and your Mom going Whoooooo! Personally it is my favourite ride in any theme park anywhere. I am proud to say I have kept a personal count and have ridden ToT 47 times. :yes:

Margaret
  17. Tink

Oh. My. GOSH!!!! :bugeye:

I can do Splash Mountain (and enjoy it) does that count? :D :D
  18. Tink in Pink

Ha ha, i think the scariest thing about the rides in disney are the gift shops at the end, we had 4 year old triplets and a 7 year old so had to march them through sharpish so they didnt have chance to say "I want that" after ever ride, lol.
  19. Tink

Four year old triplets! :eek: HOLY COW!! You are one brave lady! :D :D Four children under 8 overwhelms me just to think about it!
  20. Tink in Pink

There was 6 adults, it was good fun, they were good as gold but a little excited which was nice