1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How to choose a villa?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by chipndale, Jul 15, 2009.

1. chipndale

chipndale Imagineer

With so many villas around, how do you all choose where to stay? I just read a bad story on another site how people were blamed for causing damage which they didnt do so making sure the owners are reputable must be important.

Is it better to go through one of those companies that manage lots of villas?

sorry I just dont know anything about it having always booked hotels
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I don't really know, but I would say first for me, it would be word of mouth. Recommendations from people I know would matter a great deal.

Also, we have villa owner adverts through this site. You could check that route and see if there is anything that appeals to you. For example, Malcolm has a lovely villa (I've seen photos only) and I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss selection with you (and from a knowledgeable perspective). :yes:
  3. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

Hi
    I would try and book a villa privately through the owner. The reason for this?? When you book a villa through a travel agent the villas are still owned privately but the travel agent take a large chunk of the money for the rental, which leaves the owner with very little to maintain the property to a good standard. Booking with the owner means that you can build up a two way rapport with them and you get to see all the facilities and photos of the villa before you book, this also means you get to choose the area you want, ie: Close to Disney, 192, 27, etc. If you are a little uncertain about parting with your hard earned cash before you book there are ways of checking that the villa is owned and licenced by the person you are booking with and for just a few pounds you can also take out an insurance called "supplier failure cover" which covers your holiday when booking DIY.

Have fun choosing and if we can be of any help give us a shout :wave:
  4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

as linda said its good to go thru the villa owner, ive book thru a TA as well and last trip i stayed at our own malcolms 5 bed villa

one thing that doesnt bother me is how far away the villa is, it may look miles away but only takes 15mins
  5. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I remember when we first stayed in a villa and we booked through an agent - I wanted to see pictures of the villa and the agent couldn't send them to me as they didn't have a particular one, the villa was allocated upon arrival.

This led to lots of anxiety on my part but to be fair the villa was fine. Not too up to date but clean and comfortable.

As Linda says the problem with Travel Agent villas is they take a large commission and therefore the owners don't have the money to keep their home looking lovely.

I try really hard to ensure that all of our guests have a wonderful stay and I keep in contact all the way through - even after arrival just to make sure they are happy. This customer service means we get lots of repeat bookings and referals.

Make a list of what you think you would like in the villa you stay in and have a look here on the advertsiers section or speak to friends who have stayed in a villa and I'm sure you'll find a lovely villa for your holiday.

Let me know if I can help at all

Sandra
  6. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Wise words given by fellow owners above and kind words from Tink and Mick.

I helped set up the villa owners/advertising section on here with Keith as he wanted to ensure that reputable owners only can advertise on this site and that he has the powers to check owners credability.

The owners advertising on here (hope i fall in this bracket too)so far are well known and respected and will give you good honest advice irespective of you choosing there villas or not so pick there brains they will not be offended.

It can most often be better to choose a villa advertised on a forum as you can put out a general request if anyone has stayed there and can give you there opinion as remember former guests have nothing to loose but owners do if they mislead you in any way.
    Picking a villa on a travel agents website can be a good thing but often you will not get the villa you pick but a simular one and also not always on the estate you like as they may not be avaliable for your dates so the travel agent will find one that is and often this can be the day before you travel and they call this Allocation on Arival you may see the abreviation AoA.
  7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

:yes: as Malcolm says, we do try and check out as many details as we can for villa advertisers here.

It's pretty well known that someone who chooses to advertise on a Disney forum is going to be very much more credible and responsive to questions/problems than some random travel company or owner off a wanted ad. The reason is that bad press on a Disney forum, well you can imagine can't you! So to be up for advertising on here in the first place, you're looking at owners who are very secure in what they're offering.

I'm positive that if you asked any of the villa sponsors on here, you'll get excellent advice
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yepper! We have the best villa folks right here! :yes:
  9. ukwdwnut

well just let me say

i was a bit sceptical aboput staying at our malcolms villa at first, but after a few conversations with him and looking at the villa location which is very nice i might add right behind an orange grove in a gated community. it took us only about 15-20mins tops to get to the main gate as the villa is 100-150yds to I4 and id recomend it to anyone :)
  10. premier travel

premier travel Forum Advertiser

To be honest it is not the travel agent like us that make the money it is the tour op or the management co as the management co sell them whole sale to a wholesaler who in turn sells them to a UK broker who then sells them to us. I havd had many arguements about this as the poor home owner ends up with next to nothing and still has the bills, upkeep etc to pay for.

There was a big thing about Virgin hols over in florida brow beating Mc to buy in cheape villas. Look what they charge!
  11. ukwdwnut

your right kim VH are way over the top for villa prices as are anything they sell i cant ever get a decent price from them so i stopped trying
  12. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

not just in Florida but I usually book with the owners,
  13. Mark_W

Mark_W Earning my ears

Deal directly with the villa owner. They should give you every scrap of information you will need along with pictures and recommendations. You should always be able to talk to them on the phone to make sure you get exactly what you need.
  14. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Just wanted to say Im nosey and checked ALL of your villas pictures

Guys... you have some really nice villas!!!

lovely!!! :)
  15. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

LOL Mari................................. i'm nosey too and had checked out your profile pics - Tatiana is soooooo cute :hug2:
  16. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

:hug2: Thank you Linda!
  17. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I like looking at the profile pictures - if you go to the members list is shows you the profile pictues on there.

Tatiana is gorgeous - beautiful eyes and sooo cute

Sandra
  18. karen2

karen2 Earning my ears

The villas really look wonderful, are they a lot more expensive than staying in a disney resort?

Are there better areas than others you know ones closer to disney ?
  19. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Hi... best i can realy advise is to price up your stay at Disney resoert and ensure you check with Travel Agent that no extras will be incured then once you have the price then contact us owners with your dates and see what we come back to you with, contact Val on here as she can get you flight and car hire prices then you can see which best suits your vacation needs. With owners there are no hidden or extra charges you would get a quote with and without pool/spa heat and that is it.
    If a villa on here does tick your boxes then contact the owner and have a chat with them as they can tell you all you need to know about the villa and local shops/restraunts/pubs etc, or just contact any owner and have a chat anyway..we wont mind.