1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

how to get a nice sun tan

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by mickey10, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mickey10

mickey10 Earning my ears

I know it's almost frowned upon these days but we like a bit of color :)

Any suggestions on how to get a safe sun tan out there?
  2. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Sorry, no such thing as a safe tan :sorry:

If you are looking for a bit of color you may want to look into a self tanner or a spray tan, but in the hot FL sun sunscreen is a must! :yes:
  3. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Sunlight is still very important to get (Vitamin D is essential to our health) but you must still wear sunscreen. Avoid sunburn, not sunlight. If you are here during the summer months (May-Sept) I highly recommend at least an SPF 50 and make sure it's sweat and water proof. Reapply at least a couple times during the day if you are out for long periods of time. Even with this you will end up with some color.
  4. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

I have been told this before as well. Apparently the SPF doesn't mean that you will not get colour it just means it blocks the more harmful parts of the sun and stops you from burning.
    :wiggle:
  5. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I learned the hard way to use sunscreen while at WDW. I knew that I should use sunscreen, but never did. I was "ok" with the occasional shoulder burn. Yes, I was very stupid at the time.

Anyway, during one trip I got so burned that I was absolutely miserable. I could not leave the hotel until the evening as any other exposure to the sun made me instantly sick to my stomach. I was running a fever and had the chills. I was very, very sick.

I have learned. I use sunscreen!:yes:
  6. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

wow is that true??
  7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yes, it is. What SPF in sunscreen will do is slow the tanning process down dramatically by limiting the amount of UVA and UVB getting to your skin.

The best way to get some color is to have short but frequent exposure to the sun. And always, always, use sunscreen. Growing up in Florida, I've personally know several people who overdid it and got sun poisoning. It's not a pretty sight. From the description, that's what happened to foreverducky.

Tom :)macwave:... not currently as tan as he used to be!)
  8. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

This happened to me on holiday to tenerife - we was at a water park one day and I got burnt everywhere. Couldn't sleep, couldnt walk too well, couldn't sit easily it was a nightmare and completely ruined the rest of the holiday. 2 days later coming home in a cramped economy seat is not much fun when you can't bend your limbs very well. Have learned a very hard lesson and try to always but sun screen on.
    :wiggle: