1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How to start collecting Disney pins?

Discussion in 'Collections including Pin Trading' started by disneymom, Aug 9, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I think this would be a great hobby and reminder

I saw starter lanyards last time with a few pins on but they were duplicates so I suppose Im supposed to trade them ?

Whats the best way to start ?
  2. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

That's it...just buy a lanyard and trade one of the duplicates with CMs or guests.

Beware it's addictive, you will end up buying lots. I have 4 lanyards of them and wear alternate days with the kids. When I was at DLRP last week someone wanted to buy them all from me. I politely declined as I have collected them for the past 8 years and all have special meanings to us.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep! That's how easy it is! Starter sets are quite popular. :yes:
  4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

It might be an idea to set a theme (parks, a character, rides etc) it might make it more managable to start with, as it is easy to get carried away :D
  5. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

A few questions from me. How much are the pins? where are the best places to go to see huge selections?

If you walk around with them on a lanyard do people come up and demand to swap?
  6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

They range from around $8 to $15. The starter kits are great and the one my DS got was $28 and as was said before you can trade the duplicates. I only let my kids trade with CM's who I think will cover any they don't want to trade. We don't tend to walk around with the lanyards on as I worry about them falling off.

You can decline if anyone asks you to trade and you don't want to. :)

They have pins everywhere but there is a large selection in the designated shop at DTD marketplace. They also have collectors events scheduled.
  7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

You'll find a good selection of pins for sale at all of the resorts, parks and DTD. Not sure about water parks, as I've never visited them. But knowing the Disney marketing machine, I tend to think they also are available at the water parks! :lol:

How to start? The starter sets are nice, particularly if you plan to trade. Beyond that, establish a theme.

I don't plan to trade pins, so I purchase the ones with meaning for me. I have them for each of the resorts I've stayed in, each special event attended (MNSSHP, MVMCP) and a couple of AP pins (available to annual passholders). And one for each of the four main WDW parks, as well as DTD. I tend to stick to classic Mickey/Minnie charactes for the parks to avoid buying a gazillion pins, but that varies a bit. I also bought one for each park at Disneyland/CA and the Grand Californian resort.

Since my collection is small and probably will remain that way, I display them on a removable board in a shadow box. Others display them on lanyards, ribbons and pillows.
  8. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Don't Do It !!! LOL It is a very addicting hobby . I got around 1500 disney pins now . I go to the pin event in September . It was my third . Buy a lanyard and pins on ebay . Much cheaper ! And put in lot of Disney pins . I bought 40 for $65.00 with free shipping . Much cheaper than $7.95 a pin at WDW or DL . Then start trading with your cast members, managers have the best pins . Look for little hidden mickeys on pins, these are the pins that you cannot buy . They are only given to CM's .
  9. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

oooo this sounds fun for my next visit :D do disney have aguide to the pins and how to start
  10. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

:lol:dh threatened to divorce me if i started collecting them...........that was about 5 years ago lol:lol:
  11. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

:lol: it may be the same for me but the pins look so nice it may be a deal im willing to accept :gy:
  12. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

he's still here............and i have a snowglobe now too, although he has my stuff contained to one room in the house:p015:
  13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It can be a very expensive hobby. I buy pins I like. I especially like ones with Walt on them.

Now, I do have a very expensive snowglobe collection.......
  14. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears