1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Disney & Orlando Secrets Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community...
    It's easy, fast, totally free (and always will be) and you'll be able to start chatting immediately :)

How to start collecting Disney pins?

Discussion in 'Collections including Pin Trading' started by disneymom, Aug 9, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I think this would be a great hobby and reminder

I saw starter lanyards last time with a few pins on but they were duplicates so I suppose Im supposed to trade them ?

Whats the best way to start ?

2. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

That's it...just buy a lanyard and trade one of the duplicates with CMs or guests.

Beware it's addictive, you will end up buying lots. I have 4 lanyards of them and wear alternate days with the kids. When I was at DLRP last week someone wanted to buy them all from me. I politely declined as I have collected them for the past 8 years and all have special meanings to us.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep! That's how easy it is! Starter sets are quite popular. :yes:

4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

It might be an idea to set a theme (parks, a character, rides etc) it might make it more managable to start with, as it is easy to get carried away :D

5. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

A few questions from me. How much are the pins? where are the best places to go to see huge selections?

If you walk around with them on a lanyard do people come up and demand to swap?

6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

They range from around $8 to $15. The starter kits are great and the one my DS got was $28 and as was said before you can trade the duplicates. I only let my kids trade with CM's who I think will cover any they don't want to trade. We don't tend to walk around with the lanyards on as I worry about them falling off.

You can decline if anyone asks you to trade and you don't want to. :)

They have pins everywhere but there is a large selection in the designated shop at DTD marketplace. They also have collectors events scheduled.

7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

You'll find a good selection of pins for sale at all of the resorts, parks and DTD. Not sure about water parks, as I've never visited them. But knowing the Disney marketing machine, I tend to think they also are available at the water parks! :lol:

How to start? The starter sets are nice, particularly if you plan to trade. Beyond that, establish a theme.

I don't plan to trade pins, so I purchase the ones with meaning for me. I have them for each of the resorts I've stayed in, each special event attended (MNSSHP, MVMCP) and a couple of AP pins (available to annual passholders). And one for each of the four main WDW parks, as well as DTD. I tend to stick to classic Mickey/Minnie charactes for the parks to avoid buying a gazillion pins, but that varies a bit. I also bought one for each park at Disneyland/CA and the Grand Californian resort.

Since my collection is small and probably will remain that way, I display them on a removable board in a shadow box. Others display them on lanyards, ribbons and pillows.

8. Tinker

Tinker Addicted to Mickey

Don't Do It !!! LOL It is a very addicting hobby . I got around 1500 disney pins now . I go to the pin event in September . It was my third . Buy a lanyard and pins on ebay . Much cheaper ! And put in lot of Disney pins . I bought 40 for $65.00 with free shipping . Much cheaper than $7.95 a pin at WDW or DL . Then start trading with your cast members, managers have the best pins . Look for little hidden mickeys on pins, these are the pins that you cannot buy . They are only given to CM's .

9. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

oooo this sounds fun for my next visit :D do disney have aguide to the pins and how to start

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

:lol:dh threatened to divorce me if i started collecting them...........that was about 5 years ago lol:lol:

11. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

:lol: it may be the same for me but the pins look so nice it may be a deal im willing to accept :gy:

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

he's still here............and i have a snowglobe now too, although he has my stuff contained to one room in the house:p015:

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It can be a very expensive hobby. I buy pins I like. I especially like ones with Walt on them.

Now, I do have a very expensive snowglobe collection.......

14. Tinker

Tinker Addicted to Mickey