1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

how to start planning?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by goofygal, Apr 17, 2013.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

I was wondering how you all start planning your trips?

Do you have folders full of info from the last ones or do you do everything online or a spreadsheet?

And when you come home, how do save the memories? Im thinking of maybe doing a scrapbook per visit

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

First of all I wait for Mr Branson to tell us when we can go by allowing us to fly UC using our FC miles! :lol:
    Now that the dates are cast in stone we then decide upon how many days we will stay in our villa/use our DVC points to fund a few days at the GF or spend time elsewhere in Florida eg the Keys etc.

I then prepare a spreadsheet showing where we will be staying each day and a seperate columb on the sheet shows our dinner reservations along with the ADR numbers. [We tend to only have on site dinners when we are at the GF]

Apart from that we tend to take each day as it comes and visit whatever park or attraction takes our fancy at the time.

We don`t prepare any scrapbook etc. [although we did make one following our DCL Med Cruise] but I do meticulously store our photos in folders on my pc for future reference.

3. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

I first start by slotting in what parks I want to do and when. I try to plan to visit a park when the crowds are meant to be at their lightest.
    The rest of my planning is all over the place, there is no logic to it and I get myself confused most the time lol :eek:

:wiggle:

4. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We print out a calendar with boxes for each day and add things we'd like to do but it's just a guide not a definite plan (so to speak)

We do lots of research online as to where to go and what to do (we don't do any parks at all any more)

We really enjoy our planning and looking forward to seeing new things and going to new places in Florida :yes:

Sandra

5. susanm

susanm Imagineer

WHEN I START PLANNING, I FIRST ALLOW 2 WEEKS. I FIGURE FIRST AND LAST DAYS ARE TRAVEL...WASTED TIME...IF I GET AN EARLY FLIGHT, AND HAVE TIME TO DO SOMETHING, IT IS A BONUS.

THEN I ALLOW 3 DAYS FOR MAGIC KINGDOM 3 DAYS FOR EPCOT 2 FOR STUDIOS AND 2 FOR ANIMAL KINGDOM

NOW, YOU DONT REALLY NEED THAT BUT THAT IS WHAT I ALLOW AT THE START. THEN I BOOK MY ROOM, GET A PRICE AND MAKE A DEPOSIT. I MAKE PAYMENTS AS I GO BUT KEEP WATCHING FOR DISCOUNTS AND CHECKING MY AIR. WHEN THE AIR GETS TO A REASONABLE PRICE FOR DAYS I HAVE BOOKED THEN I ADJUST MY RESERVATION. SOMETIMES ARRIVING ON A MONDAY AND DEPARTING ON A SATURDAY ARE CHEAPER AIR FARES.

THEN I LOOK AT THE EARLY MORNING SCHEDULES. I LIKE MK MY FIRST DAY NO MATTER WHAT TIME THEY OPEN. USUALLY EARLY MORNINGS AT MK ARE NOT BAD. I GUESS PEOPLE WHO WERE IN THE PARKS FOR PARADES AND FIREWORKS LAST NIGHT ARE NOT AS LIKELY TO BE AT THE PARK AT 8AM. I FIND YOU CAN GET TONS OF GOOD RIDES IN BETWEEN 8AM AND 11AM. ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WITH SEVERAL LITTLE ONES. TO GET THEM UP DRESSED FED AND TO THE BUS BY 7-730A DOESNT ALWAYS WORK FOR THEM.
    THEN I JUST PICK WHAT PARK ON WHAT DAY MAINLY FOR DINING SO I CAN MAKE RESERVATIONS.

AS FOR A DAY IN THE PARK I JUST START AT THE BEGINING AND CIRCLE THE PARKS. USUALLY START WITH A FAVORITE OR HARD TO GET ON ATTRACTION...SUCH AS STUDIOS...GO RIGHT TO TOY STORY MANIA, GET ON, GET A FAST PASS, THEN GO BACK TO ANIMATION COURT AND START THERE. ONLY DETOUR FOR SHOWS THAT HAVE LIMITED TIMES ETC. BASICALLY NOW (AFTER 25 VISITS) I WING IT. ANYTHING REALLY CROWDED I PASS ON THE FIRST DAY IN THAT PARK, THE GO THERE FIRST THE NEXT TIME.

GOOD LUCK PLANNING THATS HALF THE FUN

6. susanm

susanm Imagineer

OH YEA....I TAKE TONS OF PIX....EVEN MORE NOW SINCE I WENT DIGITAL (1200 LAST SUMMER) AND JUST PUT THEM ON CD'S - ACCORDING TO PARKS....BUT AFTER 25 VISITS I HAVE ABOUT 50 ALBUMS OF PICTURES :surrender: AND RUNNING OUT OF PLACES TO KEEP THEM :rotfl:

7. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Since we only spend a few days on the vacation we begin by looking for the extended magial hours for each park. We always stay on site and take advantage of the perk. That usually determines our plan of attack for the three or four days that we can stay.:yes:

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We usually start out by figuring what dates we want to be there. Then we decide where we want to stay. Next we decide plane, train or automobile, or train/automobile (Auto Train). Then we decide where we would like to eat. The only time we plan a specific park for a specific day is if it coincides with one of our planned places to dine or there is a special event we are attending (MVMCP, MNSSHP, Party for the Senses, etc. )