1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

hurricane season?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disney1sttimer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

hi all, well I was thinking I had most things ready but now people are telling me that florida hurricane season could mean we're not allowed out of the hotel ??? is that true? is it really that bad?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

only if there is a hurricane imminent! hurricane season runs from June 1st to 30th November. Hurricanes are serious things but please don't let people frighten you unduly:hug2:

can i say the 'hunker' word:gy:
  3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Hurricane season is from June to November. The worst months are August and September.

Chances are pretty slim that a hurricane is going to affect Orlando dramtically but it CAN and HAS happened. If that is the case, they will make you stay in your room/at the resort. I think there were several hurricanes that affected the Orlando area in 2004 (or maybe it was 2005).
  4. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Thanks britchick and johnie, just when I think i have everything sorted out people tell me something new. Im glad its not as bad as I thought
  5. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

Ya know, if I'm going to be forced to stay in a hotel room during a hurricane, I have no problem with it being a Disney one!!
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

NO!!! You may NOT say the "h" word! :eek:

Hurricanes give you enough warning to prepare. The trick is, getting to the information when you are vacationing. If you don't watch the news daily you could easily miss the warnings. Disney doesn't like to cause panic, so they don't say much until it's pretty well involved.

It was 2004. Every three weeks we were preparing for another hurricane. :( My kitchen in my new house sustained $50,000 worth of damage. :sigh; I would be quite happy to never have to deal with another hurricane again, ever, not once, never. :(
  7. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We got caught up in Hurricane Wilma in 2005, it mainly all happened overnight and there were lots of warnings on the radios etc. The parks were all closed the following morning and it was extremely windy, the resort (ASMo) was fantastic, providing basic breakfast platters to get people through quickly, we had characters at the resort and the CMs sorted out colouring packs for the kids and had disney movies playing in the televisions in the rooms. MK and Epcot opened in the afternoon for resort guests only and by the evening you wouldn't have even known anything had happened.:)

Just our experience and I know that we had it lightly - South Florida took the brunt of Wilma sadly and there were calls in the weeks afterwards for people to send aid down there. But that is how Disney handled the storm.
  8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

sorry Tink i didn't realise:(
  9. Rosie0610

Rosie0610 Imagineer

I was there during Wilma also and I must say Disney may not have given away a ton of info but the CMs sure did. They were telling us the night before what was happening and in EPCOT @ San Angel Inn they hurried us through dinner telling us they wanted to get home to board up thier houses. (I don't have a complaint there. I totally understand)
    If you sense something's up I'd say talk to the CMs!

The worst part was just people everywhere. The dining areas were mobbed in the resorts and the arcades. People brought pillows in there and blankets.

At no point did we lose power and the roads all stayed open. Wilma was not bad by the time it hit Orlando. But that was as bad as I ever want to see!