1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

I am back - roll on 2011!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by lisaw, Sep 1, 2009.

1. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Got home this morning, coming home never gets any easier :sigh:

Had a fantastic time - so glad I can cope with the heat and August crowds other wise that would have been us done for a few years :lol:

Loved Kidani Village - the pool area is fantastic and Saana was fab - DH's new fave restaurant.

Kidani is very quiet compared to Jambo House - kind of feels like you are walking into someone's front room when you enter the lobby :lol: But still as beautiful. The covered carparking area is very welcome in the heat. Our room was probably as close to Jambo lobby as Kidani - 5/6 minute walk to each. Kidani definitely needs some kind of quick service area though although we did eat breakfast off site a fair amount when we didn't have ADR's due to the limited choices at the Mara - well it gets limited after 3 weeks and we are used to the larger food courts for breakfast at ASMo and POR. We discovered Bob Evans this time and was nicely surprised compared to a lot of our offsite breakfast experiences on previous trips :eek:

We will eat offsite a lot more in the future - the dining plan has definitely limited food choices at Disney when you are there a while, everything starts to taste the same and there are less interesting choices now as things have to fit into the dining plan - if you wanted to grab a snack most places had the same choices - brownie, carrot cake, chocolate cake.

Also paying for an adult for Daniel (11) at buffets really pushed the prices up and next time we go Caitlin will be 10 so buffets (especially dinner ones) will be out..

Our favourite disney restaurants this time were Saana, Boma as always (especially breakfast), Tusker House for breakfast and dinner was very good, Kona Cafe, Raglan Road and Biergarten.

Had our worst experience at California Grill - never again, snooty server and overpriced not great food - I wasn't even impressed with the observation decks - a concrete service area covered in bird poop :sorry::lol: - we will be back to Citricos next time :yes:

Off site we really liked Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze and Texas de Brazil, and our old favourite Sweet Tomatoes :D

Highlights - The Pirate and Pals Firework Voyage - fantastic very well done, just glad I wasn't celebrating an anniversary :eek: :lol:

Hoop de Doo review - as always, love it! :D

The characters in Flight Balloon at DTD - was a bit of a mission to find it flying when we were available to do it but it was great when we finally managed - awesome views :yes:

The Wishes dessert party was good - even though we had to be rolledout of there at the end :lol:

Boggy Creek airboat ride was fab - highly recommend :D

Standing in the carpark at POR watching the shuttle go up at midnight last Friday night - even though it was just a long orange streak in the sky it was still an amazing sight :yes:

It was great meeting up with Teresa, Robyn and Jack for a few things TRex was very funny, even buying the dessert just so the kids could clap as it arrived at our table :laugh: - feels quite surreal meeting up with somebody at Disney you know from England and met through a disney site :yes:

We visited most of the DVC resorts this time and know the ones we want to stay at now are VWL, OKW, BWV and AKV - possibly SS.

Oh and it's probably an age thing but I think I visited every single disneyworld restroom :laugh: I am quite an expert on what doors have the biggest gaps - the ones at the start of DHS I don't even know why they bother with cubicles! You can actually hold conversations with the people either side of you under the partitions :rotfl:
  2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Great FIRST trip report Lisa!

Seems like you had a FANTASTIC TIME!!!!!
  3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Horray!! A report!! Sounds wonderful so far :yes:
  4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Will we get a full restroom report? :lol:
  5. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for the trippie - love the comments re the toilets. Perhaps we could have a seperate toilet trippie so you could tell us which ones have the smallest gaps, that really would be handy.

Welcome home :hug2:
  6. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

welcome back glad you had fun :)
  7. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Welcome back! :wave:
  8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Welcome home. Sounds like you had a great time. Must have been fascinating watching that shuttle go up.
  9. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: Glad you had a wonderful time, it does get pricey when the kids become " adults". I get sick of eating vacation food by the 4th day so I can't imagine it after 3 weeks :sorry:
  10. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Welcome home Lisa, l can't wait to read more. I love reading a quick highs and lows.
  11. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Sounds like you had a fantastic holiday
  12. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Welcome home. You're not the first person to comment on Cali Grill - yikes I have 2 ADRs there later this month !
  13. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I'm sure you will be fine Debbie - we had a particularly not very friendly server, didn't like the fact that I wanted water to drink and Colin had just one glass of wine (over $20 for that one glass but thats beside the point :lol:) and I don't think she was very impressed that we had a TIW card so 'only' an 18% tip for her then :rolleyes:

I think the tipping thing got me more than anything in there, this server did nothing more than any server at say IHOP etc (she wasn't even friendly :lol:), all her recommendations were for the most expensive items on the menu and because of the percentage tipping she got a massive amount for bringing a few plates of food to our table. :shrug:
  14. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Our server(s) will well and truly earn their tip - we are a party of 18 :yes:
  15. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Welcome back home Lisa. Sorry about the Cali Grill. We had the best meal of our holiday there when we went in 2007, so that's a bit scary if we book it next year.