1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

I got a new gadget for my Macbook...

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by catrancher, May 18, 2011.

1. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

As many of you know, I got a new Macbook Pro not long ago. The default pointing device on these is the track pad.

I've never really been a fan of track pads. Always preferred my good old mouse.

But now, with the iPhone and iPad using touch screens and the convergence of Mac OS with iOS, it appears that a touch style interface is becoming more important. When you consider that the upcoming Mac OS X release called Lion is going to rely much more on gesture based input, a touch style interface gains even more significance.

For whatever reason, I don't care for the placement of the touch pad on my Macbook Pro. It's down between my hands and to use it, I've got to take both hands off the keyboard. For me, it's a little inconvenient.

So, I went and bought myself a new toy. One of these:

[​IMG]

The juries still out on how much I like it. It's definitely taking some getting used to. For instance, with a mouse, if I want to go to the previous web page I was looking at, I'd just hit the back button in my web browser. With this, I can just use three fingers and a quick swipe to the left does the same thing. It's going to take a while to get used to it.

Time will tell....

Tom :)macwave:... he's changing? Unheard of!)

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I havent used mine much at all, cant get used to it but like you I suspect that with LION we'll start needing a trackpad more and more

3. catrancher

I'm working on it. It's definitely a learning curve. I forget how many fingers I'm supposed to use to do what. One, two, three? Where's my nose go? Does it work better if I hold my mouth just so? Things like that. :unsure:

I did pop for a copy of "MagicPrefs". Actually had that for my Magic Mouse. It definitely helps! It's pretty flexible in how I can configure what gesture to do what function. It'll be interesting to see how it plays once Lion is out.

Tom :)macwave:... your trackpad? She's a goer then? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Say no more!)

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Wendy realises she's strolled into the wrong thread and quietly leaves :unsure: :exit:

5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

interesting - do update this thread Tom when you have had a good play - I still absolutely love the magic mouse :yes:

6. catrancher

I will Chris. :yes:

I love my Magic Mouse also but have put it aside for now in favor of trying to get used to the Magic Trackpad. So far, I have successfully proven the old adage that "old habits die hard". But, I persevere.

There are some things that, if I can just get used to doing it that way, I like really well. I'll stick with it for a couple of weeks and see how I get on.

Tom :)macwave:... still trying...)

7. catrancher

Hmmm....

things have not improved.

Still trying to stay the course but haven't not developed a love affair with this thing yet. :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... sigh... miss my mouse!)

8. keith

I feel the same way :/ yet I keep it on the desk and keep thinking I SHOULD be able to use it

9. catrancher

Have you played with the "tap to click" versus the actual "push the silly thing down until it goes click" click? I'm messing with that right now. Truth be told, mine was a bit difficult to actually get to push down so until now, I didn't really know that there was a real, tactile switch in it. I thought it was strictly touch sensitive. Currently switching back and forth to see which I like better.

Tom :)macwave:... I need more fingers!)

10. keith

yep :yes: I have tap to click on everything, really hate having to actually press the thing down as you say, it requires too much pressure because of the surface area

11. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I have to say whilst the technology in this thing is great I too don't 'get' it :unsure: I much prefer a mouse or my macbook trackpad :yes:

12. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I got one when they first came out as i thought it would help with my carpuntunnel. It actually made my wrists hurt so i took it back. Will stick with my trusty mouse :yes:

13. catrancher

:surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:

:giveup:

Back to my Magic Mouse. At least for the time being.

BTW - If you have a Magic Mouse (or even use a Trackpad) on your Mac, you need a copy of MagicPrefs. This is a free download that provides a new System Preferences pane that let's you set all kinds of taps, gestures, and swipes for your mouse. Way more stuff than Apple provides. Additionally, you can configure it so that it's always in the menu bar and even has a battery indicator that it can put up there so you always know how much battery is left.

Tom :)macwave:... what? Ok, so I'm stuck in a rut. So what?)