1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

I may be out of a job with this gadget!

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Watchinherskip, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

There seems to be a lot of interest in astronomy in this forum. We can thank Skywatcher for keeping up the interest. His interest and enthusiasm is evident in his posts and his images. If you would like to know more about the heavens you might be interested in this device mySky plus.

For about $250 USD you can get this hand held device that will after initializing the time, date and magnetic field, identify objects in the night sky, let you find a particular object (star, planet, constellation) and also give you a guided tour of the sky for that evening.

You can see the demo online..pretty cool comes with multimedia stuff packed inside. Just did a professional development in my school district with it.. FYI...if your are a good shot with a pistol you will have a good shot at identifying objects!:p015:

http://www.meade.com/mysky/index.html
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh wow. Oh WOW! This is amazing! :yes: Thanks for the info!
  3. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Then I could spot something besides just the big dipper when the sky is clear :D:D
  4. Watchinherskip

It is pretty neat. It is really sensitive to metal objects so you must initialize it on a flat surface away form anything metal, like your car.
  5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

They are very cool - but there as soo many better ways to spend the money ;)
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

really really REALLY though? because they look like they'd be such a great thing to have when starting out?
  7. Skywatcher

really really REALLY! - they would be great for a night or 2 or for showing your mates, then you will wish you spent the extra money on your scope and spent £5 on a starchart or a magazine.
  8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

mmmm interesting thought for sure. I guess they make sense for people perhaps wanting to show their kids without having to buy a scope and really get into it.

ok food for thought thanks :D
  9. Watchinherskip

To be honest Chris, most families aren't into it as much as we are, so for the masses, it is money well spent. They could spend an extra $100 for a good pair of binoculars if they didn't have them and really spend more time looking at the sky. If you are to really get into the hobby, yes, get a chart (free on the internet) and start looking up.

It is pretty good with the movies that come with the mySky. Plug in the headphones and listen and watch as a nice multimedia show comes on with everything from planets to stars to constellations, meteor showers, and even comets (it comes with a xd card to get the latest downloads.) I haven't tried it but it will even give info on the ISS and Hubble. So for the most part, the average Joe will see something in the sky. Normally he will call the planetarium and I will try to figure out what he saw or he would be able to point at the object and find out a lot about it. So money well spent in my opinion. I have a lot of friends who have bought a telescope, nice ones Orions, Clestrons, Meades, and they sit an collect dust. This device can be taken outside into the back yard at a momments notice and give the user a lot of information, may enough to go and get their heavy scope out and actually use it.
  10. Tink

Why after purchasing a "good" scope do people not use them? Is it because it is hard to identify what you are looking at? :unsure:
  11. Watchinherskip

Think it is the same reason while people buy expensive guitars or a piano and it just sits there.:p015:
  12. Tink

Oh. I find the "sky" so incredibly fascinating, but simply don't know where to begin. That's why I love Skywatcher's photos so much. I get to live vicariously through his experiences. :yes:

Now that you are here with us, I'll be able to have two people to show me the galaxies! :9:
  13. Skywatcher

problem is Dan most sites in the UK are very light polluted and what you would be doing is pointing the mysky at what is essentially a blank piece of orange sky. From my back garden I can only just pick out pegasus and no extra stars in Orion other than the main 7.

Tis just a thought - and FVI it is priced at £292 in the uK - more than double the cost in dollars
  14. Watchinherskip

Yikes!!! Not worth that much. Wonder why we get it so cheap? We have a light pollution problem here on the east coast too. Best sky I ever saw here was when we lost power for a week after a hurricane...gulp better get some batteries....here comes Hannah.