1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

i need a apple mac

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by tb2830, May 4, 2010.

1. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

ive have totally gave up on windows now and am looking at buying a mac thou it must have firewire where is the best place.

ive just had another laptop die on me and will cost 250 to mend .........i dont think so

all help appreciated

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It really is a good call :yes: more modern system and nicer all round

Are you thinking desktop or laptop?

3. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

[youtube]vNZWBwNWAAg[/youtube]
    :macwave:

4. josh.p.

Oh and before Mick gets in and convinces you otherwise, I'd go with an iMac if you're looking for a desktop :yes: The iMac comes with firewire 800 but starts at just under 1k :sigh:

5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

another one are you getting crud makes, there are laptops and there are laptops trace

6. josh.p.

There are laptops and there are macbooks :wink:

7. ukwdwnut

sure is...but you cant expect an acer or naff makes like that to be the same as a tosh for instance lol and sometimes they cost the same....but ppl dont know what they are buying :(

8. josh.p.

I've had a range of laptops over the past 6/7 years. :yes: Started off with a low-end Acer which was rubbish, then got an advent through insurance which was also rubbish. Bought myself a toshiba. The build quality was absolutely fantastic :yes: I couldn't fault it :yes: However, I still feel that the windows OS is nowhere near that of the mac one and that is what puts me off them. A laptop can be fantastic hardware wise but if there are such faults with the OS on them, then how can they perform to the best standards that are in their hardware.

It sounds a bit mac-bigoted to say "it's the best thing I've ever bought" but seriously, I cannot fault this laptop. It's fantastic and really sturdy. The only problem I've had was when Niamh spilt juice on it and the keypad stopped working. Had that been a toshiba laptop I would have basically had to replace it :yes: However, I walked into the genius bar, got it looked at there and then, got it fixed on site and had it back within 5 days. If I had a problem/question with the OS, I could just walk into the genius bar and get one of them to help me out :yes:

I'm yet to come across a windows-based machine that comes with that sort of support, and I doubt I will for a loonnng time :yes:

P.s... I only use windows once in a blue moon now, and it really does make such a difference. I'm used to having a mac desktop but a windows laptop so still used it regularly, but since recently I don't use windows at all, whenever I use it in college or the odd time I go on Dad's laptop I find myself frustrated!

9. ukwdwnut

its not bigoted josh its your preference....i tell you what tho windows 7 is a huge advance on the other OS i would never go back to vista, even tho i didnt mind it. its hugely fast even on a slowish pc/laptop. for instance in school we have 20 dell laptops in the maths dept running vista bus ed, celeron based 512mb ram....i know its a dell never my choice :(. had to change them from xp as there were huge probs logging onto the network wirelessly with the student accounts etc....vista solved that but they take 5mins to boot :lol: so im trialing win 7 on one and 30 secs even on that pig of a spec and workable, just cant get a graphics driver for it but its good enough. all the new laptops now run win 7 and they fly

i would like to get a mac but i just cant warrant the money for a 17" one

10. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Yep Macs aren't cheap, but that is their only drawback to my mind - I was resistant for many years and I'm sure Win 7 is a massive leap in the right direction.

I didn't have naff makes I had a Sony Vaio a Tosh and then a naff one and they all died - plus I was having problems using them for my astronomy as the USB ports were so poorly powered.

Not having to install virus software saves me quite a bit each year - it also means I don't have to download updates every 30 seconds as well.

We are now a windows free household and I never thought that day would come - was sure I'd be running windows off the iMac but its not even onthere now. Mac users are like those insufferable people who stop smoking they get all preachy and 'born again' :lol: Anyway everytime I do something new on the Mac it just seems so easy and I find myself saying ' well that makes sense' over and over again.

I believe most come with firewire ports as its macs preffered connection :unsure:

If you need any help hun I'm sure there will be 1 or2 around to help :D

11. ukwdwnut

insufferable people, who give up smoking!!!! tut tut :nono: not me :D

12. Skywatcher

Well my Dad was :lol: , and you know what I mean I was having a dig at myself mate :D

13. tb2830

mick dont always assume its because ive bought a cheap make........infact one of them cost just under a 1000

they are pants the lot of them and i dont think windows 7 is much different either

im sick of paying for rubbish now and by buying a mac i will be saving lots more money in the future

14. Skywatcher

Well that was my excuse as well and so far they all look bulletproof.

My Macbook pro is secondhand and still going strong - best lappy I've ever owned - so if cost is a major issue then second hand from a reliable source is a good way onto the mac ladder

15. tb2830

just seems no competition really, annoying when people just assume cos its a cheap make or it hasnt got a good spec

to be honest i had one with a magificent spec and still ran rubbish ....nothing but trouble

there was one on argos but there is no stock anywhere(sums it up)

also looking at the refurb ones on apple

16. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i hate windows 7 and IE keeps crashing. nuff said. Still the battle of good over evil goes on in this house.:starwars: :starwars:

good will always triumph:thumbsup:

17. tb2830

omg omg omg

ive just ordered a macbook pro :worship:

18. keith

I've had just about every make of laptop going. IBM, Toshiba since they started making them!, sony vaios etc. I've been pretty lucky with them mixed with the ability to fix them myself when they go wrong.

All that being said, in every way from looks, through performance, to reliability the macbook pros have been the best laptops I've ever owned :yes:

You'll LOVE it :yes:

19. tb2830

i already love it :worship: and its not even here yet :donald:

20. keith

which one did you order then, come on, tell all :D