1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

I need to know

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort and California Adventure' started by Mandy, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

Is there anything you can think of that you think I should know before we go to Disneyland or the Anaheim area?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Have you ever been to California before? Will you be driving yourselves at all? TRAFFIC is serious! :eek: There are strict rules about what lane you can be in too, they have commuter lanes, etc. :yes:

The area immediately surrounding DL is congested with hotels, restaurants, and criminals. :sorry: Be hyper alert.

If you get the chance, drive the Pacific Coast Highway. If you have even more time, take one of the canyon roads out of Malibu... Mulholland Drive will wend you through some glorious country... just don't do it on a weekend.

I'm not a huge fan of California, but did love the Santa Monica area. :yes:

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

What type of information? I grew up there, but moved away about thirty years ago. Well, technically, longer than that, but formally it was 30 years ago! :lol:

Tink gave you some good general pointers.

The traffic in Los Angeles/Orange County is horrendous. Expect it to take double the time you would think to allow to go from point A to point B if driving. If you use MapQuest, GPS or similar information, the expected travel time tends to be on the very low side.

As Tink said, watch the freeways for carpool lanes--you need two or more people in a vehicle to use them. And sometimes it's difficult to get from the carpool lane to an exit, so allow extra time and patience. Know you exits and plan to get over in advance, based on traffic. The freeways frequently resemble a car park more than a motorway!

PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) can be a lovely drive, but keep an ear out for road closures due to fires or other issues. Watch the local news periodically for a few days before heading out on one of those drives, and be sure to check the news the day you plan your drive.

Above all, have fun and be safe!

4. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

Yes! We have been twice before and yes my DH will be driving! :)

5. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

Thanks! We will do our very best to have fun and be safe. :hug2::yes: