1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

I phones are cool

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Skywatcher, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

2. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Oh for crying out loud....

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Jon's got that one too :yes: have you tried the one to get the beer to the end of the bar without spilling?

4. Skywatcher

indeed :lol:

cool astronomy apps as well

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

which one? is there one i can have for my touch?

6. Skywatcher

there are loads - search for , astronomy, planets and moon - I have moonmap lite and there are ones with all the constellations

frankly I am gobsmacked by all the apps - I love the spirit level one

7. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

I love Tweetie!

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Knowing nothing about iPhones... when you download all those many apps to your phone, does it slow it down at all? :unsure: If so, in what way?

9. Skywatcher

no the phone is 16gb and these apps are usualy just a few kb or mg and only operate when you click on them - much like a pc

10. Tink

Ah. How is it at multi tasking? I ask because the pocket PC (from Verizon) that I use for work does not multi task well. It ends up needing to have the battery removed, etc. when it gets too overloaded (receiving emails, making calls, at the same time...).

11. Skywatcher

it seems pretty good , can open several webpages at once as well

12. Tink

Hmmmmm...Herself is looking for a more elaborate phone... we didn't like the Blackberry. But here for an iPhone I think we need to switch to AT&T. :unsure: We had terrible trouble with them as a carrier in the past. That's why we switched to Verizon. :sigh:

13. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

The iPhone isn't really designed for multi tasking per se. While it gives that appearance, it isn't really doing it. According to Apple's iPhone developer center, the iPhone applications are designed for fast launch and short use. From a users perspective, this means that the application launches every time you touch it's icon on the home screen. You then use that application to do whatever and when you're done, return to the home screen. Returning to the home screen terminates the application that's currently running. However, it does maintain the applications state so that when you launch the application the next time, it resumes right where you left off before.

Also, the applications are quite tightly integrated. If you receive an email with a link to a web page in it, clicking on that link will launch the Safari web browser instantly.

The net result of all this is that applications running on the iPhone give a user experience very similar to what you'd have on a PocketPC without the growing application overhead.

I know this is probably more information than you require but, hey, you asked! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... and yes, you can have my iPhone when you pry my cold, dead fingers off it!)

14. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

indeed this is true and is, (covers Tom's ears), a shortcoming on the iphone even if it's cleverly worked around :yes:

The actual working memory on an iphone is about 128Meg, still easily large enough for one app or heck a few apps, but not as capacious as the 16GB would have one believe. The 16GB flash is more like a hard disk which stores the apps.

Apple have done all sorts to stop people wanting to multitask. I got a bit fed up of them telling me why I shouldnt need to do it but the fact is that sometimes it's really useful to have an app running in the background whilst you do something else.

The most obvious example being Instant chat. You may want to chat on msn to someone then go look something up in your diary/contacts and come back to them without signing in again. Equally you may want to leave your MSN running and do other stuff then be alerted when someone messages you.

apple WERE going to address that specific need but have since got far less enthusiastic about their proposed solution (one man's solution, another man's hack etc.)

Soooooooooooooooo my thought is stand by for the next revision of the iphone to have more memory and multitasking. I think they're going to retreat on this one.

should be remembered in all this that Apple code executes at a more privileged level in the iphone and CAN stay in the background ;)

:geekon:

15. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Rotary phones. Had one until I moved to Arizona in 1978! :lol: Still have a traditional push-button phone that looks like a rotary--just has buttons instead of a dial. It's a great back-up if there's a storm and power goes out--it works without electricity. :thumbsup:

Yep! Leu still has a wall-mounted one in her kitchen. It was installed when they bought the house around 1973 and it's outlasted every other telephone they've ever had--and it's used a lot! :D

Tink, I recently read an article indicating there may be some law suits in the US regarding extended exclusive rights to phones in the US. I don't think we'll see anything soon, but many cell phone users are up in arms because they can't--or won't--use the carriers with manufacturer exclusive contracts and they are locked out of the market.

Best guess is we'll eventually see limited exclusive rights--probably 6 months to a year. But that also is likely to increase the cost of the phones--or length of contracts. Trade-offs.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  16. catrancher

No need to cover my ears, Keith. You're absolutely correct. However, as you say, the workaround is clever... it works well... and, in my case anyway, satisfies my "multi processing" needs. From my perspective, we need to remember that these are, in actuality, phones. If you want a multi-core, fully threaded, processor to do a fast Fourier transform, a cell phone is probably not what you need. :tongue:

Or perhaps the next rev of the iPhone OS (Mac OS X). I've got the original iPhone and I've noticed that with each succeeding software rev, capabilities grow. For instance, the address book app was integrated with the phone app in the original software revs. I hated that. The latest revision has broken the address book app out into a separate entity. To the applause of the user community. Apple occasionally seems to actually listen.

Tom :)macwave:... yes, tis true, a fanatic)

17. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

GASP! :lol:

if my phone can't do ffts whilst playing tetris, making a call and being a light sabre, honestly, what use is it ;)

In fairness, they have indeed continued to improve it :yes: and I think if they do come out with multitasking on the user level, it probably will be present in upgrades for existing phones. Probably more memory in the next revs to take more advantage but yep, it's my hope we're not left out in the single tasking cold

Now if I could only get them to listen to me about the macosx GUI

18. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

And how much will this iphone cost me?

19. catrancher

You got something against the Terminal? :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... grep, awk, sed, whoami?)

20. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Millions it sounds like....