1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

If a recipe calls for...

Discussion in 'Other Recipes' started by Beccaberry, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

..."English Mustard" what should I be using? Powder? Prepared mustard? :confused:

Trying out a new recipe :)

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

What does the recipe say?

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Becca you might be able to find a small jar of Coleman's mustard in a specialty shop or a Wegman's if you have any in CT. Coleman's also makes a powdered mustard.

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Depends what it's in, what are u making?

5. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

It is possibly the prepared mustard from a jar. When it calls for dry English mustard it usually states that.

Margaret

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep, the recipe means, Coleman's English Mustard. You can replace it with dijon if you don't have Coleman's, or you can mix some dry mustard with water and a touch of white wine, or in a pinch, white wine vinegar until it is a smooth paste (mustard consistency).

It's just a purer taste of mustard than French's. :yes:

7. Beccaberry

Hi all!

Thanks so much for the advice, sorry I didn't have more of a chance to respond last night...I was in a rush trying to get things ready for company. We celebrated Jon's birthday last night with a few family and friends as we will be traveling on his "proper" birthday next week.

Anyway...this is what I made...we started with a lovely tray of olives (kalamata, bleu cheese stuffed, marinated) as well as some prosciutto and parmesan stuffed cherry peppers. Then we had this salad:

Scallops with Rocket and Pancetta
    Ingredients
    12 queen scallops
    2 small handfuls of rocket leaves (I used Arugula which I assume is comparable)
    50g pancetta cubes (HA! You should have seen Jon and I trying to do THIS math in the market! Not only did we have to convert the grams measurement, then we had to sort out the math for going from 2 servings to 10!)
    1 tsp english mustard (I did manage to find a jar of Colman's as suggested and it was perfect! They had both the powdered and the prepared, so on your suggestions I used prepared.)
    5 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to
    drizzle
    1 tsp lemon juice
    salt

Method
    1. In a bowl, add the mustard. Gradually whisk in 3 tbsp of olive oil and then whisk in the lemon juice.
    2. Place a small handful of rocket leaves in the centre of two plates. Drizzle over a little olive oil.
    3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add the pancetta and fry until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and sprinkle the pancetta over the rocket leaves. Wipe the frying pan clean.I didn't wipe the pan clean, instead of adding more olive oil, I used a fraction of what was left in the pan to cook the scallops, I think it gave them a much nicer flavor)
    4. Add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to the frying pan and heat over a medium-high
    heat. Season the scallops with salt and then fry in the pan for 1-2 minutes on each side, until cooked through and golden.
    5. Surround the rocket leaves with the scallops and serve.

It was DELICIOUS!

For the main course, we had filet mignon steak with roasted potatoes and for dessert (because he prefers them to cake) I made chocolate ganache cupcakes.

And wine. Lots of wine.

OMG. YUMMY FOOD.

I will SOOOOOOOOOOO be back in the gym this morning though!

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Our invitation must have been held up in the mail with all the snow we have gotten. LOL

9. Beccaberry

LOL!!! Indeed it was John, because you KNOW I would have LOVED to see you guys!!!