1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

If Apple are so brilliant ...

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by ieuanr, May 20, 2009.

1. ieuanr

ieuanr Earning my ears

Why can't they make the iphone battery last more than one day.

Bought the iphone 3g to use for email - hey I'm a sucker for a pretty boxes.

I've had it for about six months - it has sat in it's cradle for most of the time.

Had cause to take it on the road yesterday (to listen to Microsoft tell me how great Windows 7 is gonna be!)

Anyway the useless lump of plastic was telling me the battery was about to run out - after about 18 hours on standby and ten minutes of calls.

Searching on the internet it appears this is the same for everyone. Not really a very useful business product - what a poor show. Looks great - works for a day then it's useless. :thumbsdown:
  2. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who is sick to the back teeth with having to keep charging my IPhone. I do use it a lot to check my emails but apart from that I will use it for the odd call and text message. I also read on a forums about the poor battery life.
  3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i was looking at one when my contract runs out, doubt i'll bother now tbh....thats a rubbish battery life
  4. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

Don't get me wrong the phone is great but if you use it for what it is meant for which is emails, internet etc then the battery isn't great. Also if you use it as an Ipod then the battery wont last long. I think that is one of the reasons it came with a USB charger so people can charge it at work on their computers etc.
  5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

pretty useless piece of kit then
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well far be it for me to defend Apple, but here goes anyway :D

The useless lump of plastic is being used by millions of people worldwide in all sorts of roles. I've had one since the day they came out, my wife has had hers for the same amount of time. Best phones we've ever used and looking around the Internet, THAT appears the same for everyone :)

Not a useful business product? oh I have to take issue my friend :) I have it checking 4 IMAP email accounts, it has full sync to my company's exchange server. It has everything synced up to really useful email, calendar, contacts apps not like the rubbish you normally see on phones.

The web browser actually works like your desktop one. It's actually usable and indeed I use it all the time for personal stuff and sometimes in the heat of something going wrong at work and needing to fix it remotely. It's saved my life on numerous occasions.

It seemlessly connects to various wifi stations whenever it can and then back to GPRS/3g if not. It has probably the world's best portable song device, the ipod, built in as a little extra.

It has the appstore. If there's an easier way of getting an app for any occasion onto your phone, I haven't seen it.

Battery life. The 2G first model was best and when introduced they said that with everything on there, having a 3G chip would decrease the battery life considerably. Everyone including me said we dont care, we want it. Without doing anything to save power, I reckon mine will last 1.5 to 2 days which is .5 to 1 day longer than I need. I recharge mine overnight each night as I've always done with any phone I've ever had. As long as it lasts one day, it's not even a minor niggle for me.

Now this years iphone update will probably utilise technology that wasn't around a year or so ago to put an even better battery in the thing. Won't matter to me but I guess it'll make it look better on paper.

I have a box here with 40+ phones in and another at work with around twice as many. We test everything that comes along with our services and everyone in the office now has an iphone. Believe me, that says something ;) I was a total windows mobile fan before the iphone came along.

The world's all about choice however and if charging the phone when you go to sleep at night feels like too much of a chore then the iphone may not be for you it's true :yes:
  7. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I charge mine every night as well so didnt even realise it had poor battery life :unsure:
  8. ieuanr

ieuanr Earning my ears

Hi Keith!

Sorry but I don't think 24 hours battery life is acceptable - if I was on the road 2-3 days a week I would have to charge it every day - which means taking a charger. I know that charging it every day is not the end of the world - but other 3g phones manage 3-4 days of use easily.

It is easy to use but the battery life is a major issue - form over function anyone?
  9. keith

:wave:

Well hey, everyone has their own needs don't they :) other 3g phones don't have the same level of functionality as the iphone which makes THEM unacceptable to me by comparison.

2-3 days on the road, I'd imagine you'd take along a car charger?

There's really no way anyone could level a form over function argument against the most functional phone out there today in my very humble opinion :)

but yep, doesn't sound like it's the phone for you. Get it on ebay and you can go grab something that you like better!
  10. ieuanr

ieuanr Earning my ears

Therein lies a problem - I don't like anything else better - other phones have a useful battery life though.
  11. keith

Well I know I'm sounding argumentative now :( and I don't mean to be, but it HAS got a useful battery life :/ it's not like it's 10 seconds and then it dies. If you really like how it works but hate the battery life, use a car charger, leave it in the cradle at work etc.
  12. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I've got to agree with Keith here. :yes:

Granted, mines an original iPhone without 3G but I've never had a problem with battery life. I charge mine on the nightstand every night (makes a nice little alarm clock). If I'm going out of town, I take the charger with me and charge it either in the car or the hotel.

Now my DW's 3G model is a little different. 3G usage does impact battery life. However, what we do with that is we generally turn 3G off unless we're looking for something specific that requires faster internet access. My DW's ebay auctions for example. :mental:
    Turn 3G on, do what we need to do, then turn 3G off again. It's a compromise that we're willing to make to get all the additional functionality that the iPhone has to offer.

Tom :)macwave:... I'd still rather have one iPhone than two of anything else!)
  13. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

My 2g lasts me about a day, i use edge, wifi, ipod and usually take 1-2 pics, too. I think 24hrs is quite a good battery life, granted if you are away from home it can be an annoyance but its not really hard to take a charger with you?
  14. keith

It'll be interesting to see how this years update goes!

Im pretty sure they'll want a more speedy processor and longer life but the two are pretty incompatible. Should be an interesting June!
  15. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Mine lasts longer now I know how to turn it of :lol: took me a couple of months to realise I was just putting iti in stanby and not 'off'

depends like all things on how much you use it and it will obvioulsy eat batteries as it does so much,

I never ever thought I would use it as much as I do

It is the best biut of technology I have ever bought and it has converted me singlehandedly into being a Mac convert

I have a charger in the car one at home and a USB one to plug it into the PC if it needs doing at work

If I hardly use it then it doesn't need charging - my last LG phone was total garbage and I only texted with that really and I astill had to charge taht every 2 days.

I think a 'short ' battery life was to be expected for the level of functionality - and the functionality far exceeds that of my laptop!
  16. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

I think it is the best phone I have ever had and it will take a lot to impress me as much as the IPhone has.
    I never turn my phone off it is on 24/7 as I do use it as a alarm clock. I will have to think about getting an in car charger.
    If you think about the amount I use the IPhone to how much I would use my other phone it is understandable that the battery will un down quicker.
  17. keith

I text an awful lot, really really do and over the years I've had the iphone I've on occasions thought it's too big, doesnt have a real keyboard etc. So I've tried to swap to one of the hundreds of phones around work. Lucky to have the choice I know!

I USED to like windows mobile but once you've tried the iphone, there's no way to go back to that.

Anyway, I usually don't last a day before I'm back with the iphone :yes:

I really do hope that someone comes out with something competitive though just to keep Apple on their toes!
  18. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

This new update what will it add to the IPhone?
  19. keith

Right, there's almost certainly a new phone coming out. Rumour has it it'll add a better camera, video, MAYBE a slight redesign, faster and better battery life. MAYBE.

Alongside that there'll be iphone os 3.0 which updates all the iphones including the iphone 2g one. Various things, MMS finally, voice memo, proper phone wide spotlight search etc. (some of these will only be on the 3G phone though such as MMS I think).

There are a lot of little fixes though. Little things like when I have multiple numbers for someone "Helen home Helen work" for example, if I missed a call it said "missed call from Helen" but didnt tell me which number. Now it does.

Cut and paste has been added in quite a nice way as well! very useful that one

There's also the big thing about background notifications which are a way to let an application tell you that something new has happened like a new facebook update or a new instant message. It's a new special way of allowing apps to receive new updates without sitting in the background using battery life.

In fact a lot of the features are new things for developers which may not sound too exciting but which should launch a load of really great new apps following the release.
  20. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

if you go to the apple website and its on the front page I think OS 3.0 if I remember :unsure: will allow picture texting that kinda think