1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

illuminations cruise or wishes cruise

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by wishonastar, Oct 1, 2008.

1. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

Which one of those two is the best and are they hard to book?

I dont really know how much they are or anything :lol: but it was an idea for something different to do
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If you give enough lead time, you should be ok with the booking.

I've not done the Illuminations, but can tell you that the boats only go to the bridge between the UK and France. It seems that the view from there might be somewhat obstructed? :unsure: But I truly don't know.

I have been on a Wishes Cruise (thanks to our Wendy!) on the Grand I. It was lovely! The sound was piped in and the view was perfect (although given the distance some of the lower fireworks weren't visible). It is breathtakingly expensive though. I checked on it recently and wasn't even able to consider booking it. I truly don't remember the cost, but it seems it was something like $600 plus for an hour? I don't really remember.

There are lesser expensive ones (Illuminations, of course) and different boats for Wishes, but they are all rather costly.
  3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I'm thinking Wishes, because you're out in the lagoon and you don't have all the smoke in your face! You lose the images on the castle and a few low fireworks, but they're not critical to the show.

Beginning in March, 2009, the Magical Fireworks Cruise is available to everyone, with booking 180 days out. It's terrific fun. You'll be with a larger group, so if that's an issue, you'll want to book one of the barges. I believe they hold 10 people or so. You book the entire boat. If your party is smaller, you can invite others to join you or try to recoup some of the expense by agreeing to a per person price.

I don't know what the costs are, but there are different levels. The least expensive is barge with captain only, then increased prices as you add piped in sound, beverages/snacks, etc.
  4. Tink

Some of the boats (the pontoons, for example) do not have the option of piping in the music. Also, I learned that you cannot bring your own food and drink on board. You have to order from WDW to have refreshments during a specialty cruise.
  5. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

When it comes to fireworks I am a big fan of Illuminations and not so keen on Wishes. However when it come to the cruises IMHO the Wishes cruise is much better. You go out into the lagoon and have a wonderful view of the castle and the fireworks As well as that you get the chance to see the Electric Water Pageant. Although I enjoyed the Illuminations cruise to be honest I would have rather stood round by Mexico and watched it from there. I cant say I gained anything in terms of a better view by sitting in a boat under the bridge.

Margaret
  6. Tink

Did the location for the Illuminations cruise interefere with the expanse of your view, Mags? It looks like it might, being tucked up under that bridge like it is.

It's $250 for the pontoon, by the way. (To start).
  7. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

was looking to find info on booking these but cant find it am i looking in the wrong places? been on disney site and searched any help appreciated in pointing me in the right direction thanks
  8. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

9. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

thanks will check it out :)
  10. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

No, actually it didnt Tink. It was a good enough spot from which to watch Illuminations. Its just that it cost a lot for something that wasnt terribly special. I would definitely opt for Wishes - you get a lot more for your money. :yes:

Margaret
  11. Tink

Thanks Mags! From the walkway it looks like the view might be obstructed. It's good to know that it isn't.

The number to call is 1-407-WDW-PLAY.