1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

I'm back! :)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Keith, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

They were saying you had to be DVC & staying there to go up. We did get a tour and the bar was ok but nothing special. To be honest, since our room had such a great view, we didn't really find we needed the bar

To be fair, I think he was being a nice guy. We'd already paid him in full so he really didn't have anything to gain :) one of the better drivers !

I definitely think there was more knowledge there than at bestbuy but sadly that only really matters if you need the knowledge :( if you don't then it's just an expensive way to buy.

It's a shame, they had the best stock of anywhere I've seen in Orlando for sure but their unwillingness to discount, mixed with their location, makes it unlikely I'll be going back much in future.
  2. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Oh rats! I really wanted to go look at the pool, not swim, just check it out. I agree, if you have a private room with a view, why go to the bar (but I'm not a drinker so....).

I was going to say just that about the knowledge. Someone who knows exactly what they are looking for & doesn't need the help will go where the price is best. I always feel for the moms 'n pops out there though being I am one, lol.

Good to know the cabbie was just being a genuine nice guy. That's so rare these days. Some areas of Orlando are pretty sketchy.
  3. Keith

Thing is, and we find this ourselves as independents in a market of huge hyper-global megamarts :), if we take less margin on the base product AND offer superior knowledge and support, people become far less price sensitive on the addons.

In the instance we're talking about, if they'd been "nice" to me pricewise on my initial purchases and offered better service than bestbuy (sure go out and try that lens for half an hour or so?), then I'd be on here saying "well they're a BIT more expensive than bestbuy but MUCH better" and I'd be returning there to buy all sorts of extras, lenses, filters, flashes etc.
  4. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Oh I agree, we have to offer better service. More personable service. And by all means be 'nice'!

I can't stand any place that marks up their products more than what is nominal. If I'm in a store & I see something that we sell & I know what they have in it, it just kills me when I see the mark up being 3 or 4 times more than it should be. We usually take a hit on our markup as we have to try to match what the chains are selling it for. It bugs me because I know we have more in the item than they do. And in some case, I have actually seen Best Buy selling CDs for less than what my wholesale is. I can't compete with that :(

Just curious, do store owners/workers that don't know you at all really let you take lenses out for a half hour or so & try them? Not saying you would be dishonest :tongue: but that seems like a pretty risky practice unless they take credit card info or something. Especially in a tourist town where people are coming & going all the time.
  5. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Welcome Back Keith . So glad that you had a fabulous time .
    And we agree ... Jim and I did not like Cali Grill either . We ate there once and have not returned since .
  6. Keith

Although we're in different businesses, we all have the same issues. Certain products we have to buy from a certain huge market leading provider and said provider a couple of years ago decided to sell direct at LESS than we can buy for wholesale :/

Well I don't know what it's like in the states, my experience is of course UK but it's common for mom&pop photo stores over here to offer to lend out equipment. As you say, if they've never met you before they'll politely ask for a swipe of the card but with absolutely no obligation to buy if I don't like it. That's fine and certainly better than being surrounded when looking at a $300 lens in best buy by a legion of spotty sales assistants :lol:

In fact, more than once I've had this conversation with best buy
    "do you have xyz?"
    yeah its kept in the cupboard
    "so, can I see one?"
    well we get them out when you buy
    "well I want to just read the box?"
    I'll call a manager

Crazy absolute lunacy
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I agree with what you are both saying Keith and Big Thunder. If I can, I'll support the privately owned, individual's business over a corporate one. I used to frequent a lovely clothing shop (in NY) owned by an individual. Yes, her clothes were much pricier than the retail chains, but she was incredible on customer service. She'd even special order things for customers and not require them to keep the order. That's what I paid extra for.

Best Buy drives me batty. I had to open a box myself to get the product out while the "service person" stood there in shock. I am NOT paying hundreds of dollars for something I can't first touch, Dude. Sorry. I didn't destroy the packaging, and the item was put back exactly as it came out. What a crock of bologna!

I think for the average person who is trying to support the individual's business, the business needs to offset the higher prices with incredible service. :yes:

Big Thunder, I didn't know you owned a store. What sort is it?
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Just a thought Keith.... you mentioned Mousekeeping entering your room.
    As this is a DVC resort, normally you only get a trash and tidy service every 4 days or so. Is this not the case at BLT?
  9. Keith

As we were staying on a full normal cash reservation not dvc/points, it's a usual full mousekeeping service :yes:
  10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Aargh, now it makes sense. [I forgot that you paid cash for your stay there. :unsure:]
  11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Still waiting for pics...................................................................
  12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

hahahahahahaha
  13. Keith

14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Lol, thought we'd forgotten didn't you.
  15. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer