1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

iMac for Sale

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by josh.p., Jun 19, 2010.

1. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

I changed my Hard drive on my Macbook all by myself. Me, a lowly housewife an all!

I've sent the ebay link to DH Josh.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

They're both pretty great systems now.

Windows vista was a very very hurtful period of time for me professionally, we're still suffering with clients who run the abysmal pile of dingo poo, but windows 7 is the best client OS they've made so far and very nice.

macosx has matured in a staggeringly small period of time and the whole apple ecosystem must now be making MS people cry.

Nonetheless, both now do everything needed :), neither is perfect :) and it really does come down to personal preference and for some people, price and what they're used to (if I have a windows machine, like it, does everything I need it to, why change?)

The chances are in five years or less we'll all be using something different more like an ipad + ipadOS anyway ;-) so no point getting to attached to what we have right now

3. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I can't remember who it was but someone said that they think in 5/10 years time only those who REALLY need a full computer will use them, and everyday consumers will have a netbook/iPad type device with a watered down operating system :yes:

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

well done to you :yes:

its not hard claire, the same i guess as in a windows based laptop takes all of 2 mins :)

5. ukwdwnut

hope not, i couldnt be using a screen that small

6. ukwdwnut

i totally agree windows 7 is by far, and i mean way out in front of anything else MS have done...XP is ok :yes: although i liked vista even on my system it ran like a dog so in comparison win 7 is way out in front and so fast as well

i think the pc format should have come away from the 64k based architecture years ago and force people to change. remember the risc processors really quick but didnt really take off

7. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Well I'm glad that windows have sorted themselves out - I know some people liked Vista - but it was the ONLY reason I converted to a Mac as I hated it with a passion.

I was a Windows freak from before 3.1 and would not have considered anything else - also learned a lot of DOS as well.

The single most impressive thing for me about Macs is the solidity, my use of computers is not really going to streatch the processors to their ability - I havea PS3 and a Wii for games, so unless I need to buy a specific piece of soft ware that streatches it to the point of breaking, especially with the lack of viral interference I can't see me needing a new computer for many many many years - wheras every single windows based pc I have owned has a life of about 3 years

8. ukwdwnut

thats the one brill thing about macs, is theres no virii that attacks them. ive not suffered at all eally thats caused me any amount of bother with them so im ok with that. ive had a toshiba pentium PII for 15 yrs, its still good for word processing and spreadsheets and its the size of a house brick but its still working great :) not much mem or hdd space but who cares lol

one day i will get me a mac, but tbh ive no use for one now unless my lappy breaks then i would get one

9. Skywatcher

Nearly the best thing about the lack of virus'f from my point of view, isn't just the lack of the nasties , but the lack of viirus checking software which I am sure has caused the deathof more of my PC's than the virus' them selves - I kid you not we use Dells at work and they take on average 15 minutes to warm up to the point of use and 12 of those minutes is due to virus and firewalls being put in place

10. ukwdwnut

depends on the spec and the speed of the network which hampers logging on to the pc itself. it wouldnt be nowhere near that at home or logging onto the local machine

11. keith

It's a fair point IMHO, not only do the av apps take an age to start, they hook into a fairly low level in the OS which means they can often be the source of crashes or slowdowns generally. We measured the speed impact on email apps with the latest slew of windows av tools and it's awful. Many also slow down your net access generally through inefficiencies and the inevitable download scan.

You can mitigate against SOME of the slowdowns by very fast disks, loads of memory and so on but ARGH!

In terms of longevity, I took a 5 yr old sony vaio round to my parents. It was so slow in todays terms and no memory for any modern apps really. Then DW realised that her macbook was about the same age, running the latest/greatest all nicely etc.

12. Skywatcher

How old is the macbook pro Ihave keith? that just flies!

13. ukwdwnut

very fair point, also depends how much software is on it as well that makes the registry huge..i find with the newish MS A/V boot time is still really fast, but ive no firewall as you would get on a hospital/surgery network and evrything else thats there too

just wondered can you logon to a win server with a mac?

14. keith

you can RDP into it with native tools, and you can get to filestores etc and domains. So mac talking to an existing windows server setup? yeah it's ok.

Just as apple has a whole ecosystem with its hardware/software/phones/ipad, microsoft has emerged over the last few years at the standard for very highly integrated corporate networks. They've pretty much killed novel and unix was never quite as tightly integrated.

This is one area where apple have a huge fight on their hands and macosx server just isn't there yet.

15. keith

I'd have to really think hard about that but not very old... mid 2008? cant remember exactly :/

16. ukwdwnut

blimey ive not seen novell in donkeys years was always a pain if memory serves. to setup a win server domain is a piece of cake...all those forests and trees tho, thats a lot of wood :wink: :lol:

17. josh.p.

It's met the reserve with 1 day and 12 hours left, :yes: Hoping I'll just get that bit extra now.

18. Skywatcher

:mental:

better order that iPad mate :D

19. josh.p.

20. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!