1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Initial Impressions of the Food and Wine Festival

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Tink, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, after washing and vacuuming the car, we loaded up the little guy and headed off to EPCOT to stroll around the World Showcase. We told him that we were going to a festival and wouldn't be concentrating on too many rides.

We call that prep work. :D

We also discussed how we'd be tasting some foods, and that he would too. That is what all good chefs do, taste new food.

We call this something other than prep work. :D

Parking was way out to Discovery by the time we arrived (around 1:30 pm). We were in row 25 and hopped on a tram that conveniently waited for us. We proceeded to suffer permanent hearing damage as the announcer CM felt it necessary to shout in the mic and talk non-stop to the gate.

Ears dinnilin'... we entered at the main gate. It's the 15th year of the FWF so the general theme is a tiered cake. Must say we weren't bowled over by the entrance presentation. Kind of boring in an artsy way.

Spaceship earth had a fairly long queue as we passed by headed for the Welcome Center (in the old Body Wars building).

Ummm... well, we weren't bowled over here either. Not much in the way of unique merchandise. :shrug: You now have to pay for food demonstrations. The least expensive being $9 per person. We passed. The wine collection is here this year. We browsed and perused the wines on offer. Isn't it illegal to sell Bunratty Mead for $19 a bottle? :eek: :lol:

We strolled out and headed for the WS, passing Mission Space. The place was deserted, so the "won't be focusing on rides today" speech went out the window. We had a fun time, with you know who being the Commander. He took that quite seriously!

On down to the WS. There were many people here but it's not as crazy packed as it will get as the festival wears on. The day is glorious albeit a bit too hot in some places.

We browse each kiosk and booth discussing the options. There is smoked duck at one. The little guy is a bit put off by that thought.

Spain has a lovely sounding plate of serrano, manchego, olives, bread... There is a kiosk "Charcuterie." We'll definitely try that at some point.

We are returning to the festival to stay over the weekend of the 16th so this was more of a visit to just browse than to actually feast on too much.

France's queue was quite reasonable which was quite fortunate for us as we love the escargot there. Guess what? So does HE! :D :yes: We had two plates of Escargot and one Champagne and Pomegranite kir. Lovely. Lovely.

Morocco is the same old, same old boring fare... Singapore is a bit interesting. We'll try something there too. Germany was quite popular (it always is) but nothing too alluring this year. Ireland has their lobster and scallop pie again. It was quite mobbed the two times we passed by. The also have a cheese plate that I dubbed the "Publix plate" as all the cheeses can be had at your local Publix! :lol:

China had a plate for $9.98 with an eggroll, steam bun, chicken pocket, ice cream and soda so we chose that. We all shared (not the soda, he had that all to himself) and declared we'd all live happily without repeating the sampler. The most interesting thing was the caramel and ginger ice cream, although it wasn't very creamy.

Norway has no booth. :unsure: The usual little beer stand is there. Mexico has the new place in full swing. It looks lovely and the outside cantina was quite busy. As we stopped to look at the menu for the inside a CM said, "Come right in! Your table is waiting!" So clearly they were not inundated with ADRs just yet.

Italy's new place looks very nice too. The prices for pizza are a bit high though, no? :unsure: Not too sure about coal fired ovens. We don't usually like that sort of pizza, but we may give it a go when we return. Some of the other options on the menu sounded quite interesting. At the FWF booth for Italy there was NO PIZZA!!!! :9: Finally. Sheesh.

So, after the second turn around the WS (which was getting more crowded by the minute, and people were getting more boisterous) we decided to head to the Land for no real reason other than we did. :lol:

Have you been lately? We had. Or thought we had. That place is a real gem! Skip the food booths and head here! They have incredible sandwiches, pork chops big enough to harm a crook, delicious looking desserts and a fine selection of alcohol! We tried a little portobello slider ($3:00!) and a glass of red wine ($2.75!!!). It really was very, very nice! We decided this was the best part of the food tasting for today! :D The little guy was excited to bits to find soy yogurt (he can't drink or have milk based products).

Once we finished that little snack we did the Living with the Land. It was a walk on and nothing new there, but still fun for all that. What is it about those veggies and cute little 'gators that keep us going back?

Overall, we were a bit disheartened with this year's festival. The charging for the demonstrations of food was part of it. The decor isn't too thrilling other than the fabulous topiaries in France. The merchandise very ho hum, with nearly no additional (non-Disney) vendors. No booklet as in every year past, only a tri fold brochure (that covers only the current week). :cry2: We've always kept one of the booklets with our comments about what we've tried each year, so there's a little 'tradition' gone.

We'll return. We've booked OKW. :D We'll try a few things here and there (wait 'til I tell you about the desserts!!!!!) and be happy for it, too. But it's not the same. :sigh: The atmosphere is festive and fun, and anymore that's really what we go for.

Oh, it was Taylor Dane singing tonight so we didn't attend the Eat to the Beat Concert.

On the way out, Spaceship Earth was a walk on, so we did!

Spent about 3 hours all told, doing our first "perusal" of the festival.

I'm sorry but I have no photos, and won't have any. :sorry: I have the camera of course, but no way to get them on the iMac. For some reason with the upgrade to the new system, iPhoto is no longer compatible. :(

At any rate. I'll do my best to describe things for you, and hopefully others who may attend will have some photos! :D

More to come...

2. Tink

Ooops, meant to say that the characters were out in full force. :yes: We saw Marie, Aurora, Snow White, Alice (and hooooeeee was that one creepy Alice! :eek: ) Mary Poppins, Jasmine, the Genii... Oh, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy (in Future World).

Also, we did stop by Ice Station Cool. We went in the back doors. The floor was so unbearably sticky it actually pulled my sneaker off my foot! Ugh.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Thanks for that excellent report Tink. At least we now know what to expect [or not to expect!] when we visit in a few weeks time.

I always tend to follow your move in not "doing" SE until we are on the way out of the park. Why some folks make a bee line for this ride on entry to the park is beyond me as it usually means a heck of a wait to do the ride early in the day.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

great report Tink thanks! :yes:

I wasn't wowed last year to be honest :/

Disney always mail me out one of the festival booklets which is kinda strange since they absolutely refuse to mail magical express, AP magazine etc :( if I can get it to you in time for your main visit I'd be happy to post it to you?

and we MUST fix iphoto for you!!!!

5. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Was there an Aussie booth this year, Tink?

If there was I hope they had something more exciting than lamb chops this time! :sorry:

6. Tink

I asked about a booklet Keith and was told there was none this year? :unsure:

Kazza, there is an Aussie booth and the lamb chops are there. Barramundi, again too. No wine walkabout though. Just a single booth.

Slowhand, we're with you! Why wait on line for that attraction when if you wait a few hours it will be a walk on! Sheesh!!!

7. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

When your foot came out of the sneaker did it touch the floor... euw euw euw.

8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well whether this is the right thing or not.. perhaps I'll take some photos before sending it :lol:

It's a booklet, food&wine festival 2010 guide on the front... "celebrating 15 yrs...."

lists all the marketplaces, experience, shopping, the culinary programmes, maps, weekly schedules all that kinda stuff with a fold out map in the middle

It's pretty much what we receive every year

9. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Sounds kind of homegonized Tink! I didn't realize that your boy was lactose intolerant? Or is it an allergy. Was it tough to find enough for him to eat? We love the Land as well and eat there each time!

10. Tink

Sure sounds like a booklet to me Keith! You never know anymore who to believe at WDW. :sorry:

Tinkfan, as long as we avoid milk products like milk, yogurt, ice cream, pudding, we are ok. He can handle cheese. He can actually handle a tiny touch of ice cream but we don't like to go down that road. We don't have much trouble finding him things to eat.

He really liked the escargot! :D

11. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Impressive!!!I think I know who the king of the Roost is!! I'm so pleased for you Sis that you have this time with him. The everyday memories are the very best :yes:

12. Tink

Oh he's Mr. Cockadoodledo alright! His favorite character right now is Peter Pan and he loves to crow like him. (Yaaaayyyyyyy! :sigh: ). LOL.

13. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Tink- Are you planning on going back on the 15th or 16th of Oct. b/c I would love to meet up with you all if it was on the 16th (Saturday). If I can get a fairly good room rate at an All-Star, I'll be there!

Also, for all the newbies, Spaceship Earth is THE best ride to do when you're leaving the park. For some reason it seems like they keep it open longest, even after Illuminations.

Also, for the newbies, put money on a gift card in the welcome center (between The Universe of Energy & Test Track). That way you can budget yourself. Believe me, the spending can get out of hand. Also, if you have any questions about the offerings, just ask, because I saw a lot of repeats from last year's samples (and I probably had at least half of them in my 4 trips there).

I'm looking forward to sampling from the new booths, Korea and Belguim, and there is some new food being offered at America (bison, anyone?)

I generally make a beeline for Soarin'. Living With The Land is hands-on my fave ride at the park. I "heart" plants.

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

While I am probably going to have to be particular about what I eat around the World Showcase on this trip I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully the weather will be a lot cooler than last year so that we can enjoy.

15. Tink

The weather is perfect right now, John. Low 60s to high 50s in the morning and humidity free 80 or so in the afternoon. Can't beat that with a stick!

16. uscwest

Now if it will just stay like that for the rest of the month.

17. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

That would be wonderful! Now, if any of you happen to see a fellow with a blue tinge of color to his skin, that would be John if he forgets to put on his SUNSCREEN!!!!!

18. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It is significantly cooler than it was last year. Weather is amazing!!
    Oh and John they have a cherry coloda we want you to recreate at the next lobsterfest :)

19. uscwest

Do they have a recipe?

20. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I will find out tomorrow!