1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Insect repellant

Discussion in 'General' started by Dawn, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

The only time we ever got attacked was at Kennedy Space Center and remembered the repellent next time we went there.

However, Adrian's mum appears to have a sign on her head that only insects can read that says "free lunch here".:lol:

So we are just going to Disney and Universal. Does she need repellent. And what sort. :unsure:

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`m told that the best ones to get contain "Deet". They sure kept the critters away from me anyhow. :thumbsup:

3. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

I'm also a walking lunch trolley for bugs. :( If she doesn't have sensitive skin get a repellent from a camping shop. Boots have a combined sun lotion and bug repellent which is good.
    I use E.Arden 8hr cream body lotion and then Avon's Skin So Soft dry oil body spray, Soft and Fresh fragrance, on top of that.

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Although some people are reluctant to use products containing "Deet" it is the best way to go. Repel 100 is the brand we use. Deep Woods Off also works very well and is easier to find.

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I have used deleting Thailand as that's a high risk area but don't like to use it. I've had a few bites in Disney/Universal but nothing major. Maybe if you're going to be out in the evening wear long trousers? I use the Craghopper zip off trousers/shorts for travelling, that way you just keep the bottom bits in your bag and put them on in the evening. Craghoppers currently has 70% off in their sale

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I am a walking lunch for bugs as well and I always buy Deep Woods with deet. So long as you wash it off every night you will be fine.

Kennedy is terrible for mossies I wouldn't go without any spray.

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Disney might not be as buggy as Universal since they deliberately breed non-biting bugs that lunch on the biting ones. :D

But in any event, I'd still use a Deet based repellant like the Deep Woods Off! to avoid these :mossie:

Tom :)macwave:... dead bugs tell no tales!)

8. Wendy

I forgot to say, I've been bitten quite badly at DTD, so you would definitely need something there.

9. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Just a quick question - I don't want to hijack the thread :unsure:

Do I need bug spray in November? I know here we have snow on the ground and freezing temps at night, but I have no idea if WDW will still be buggy that time of year? Thanks! :)

10. Wendy

I've never used in it December :unsure:

11. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Not generally. We usually only need it during the rainy humid months...May through September normally.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

12. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Great! Thanks :hug2:

I didn't want a nasty- bug ridden surprise :unsure:

13. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I stick to The Avon one with picaridon,
    Since its the safest for kids. It works well, but you jave to reapply constantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

This is what I do... because the mossies love my sweet lil flesh so much that even spraying deet on me doesn't stop them. This is the ONLY thing that works for me, I buy enough mossie bands to last me for the holiday and each day I put on four of them, one on each wrist and one on each ankle. I even sleep with them on as that's the time they like to have a party on me. I have never been bitten once by doing this. Save yourselves! lol! Yes I got funny looks because I had them on each ankle but I can assure you I had the last laugh, not one single bite the whole time in Mexico, Barbados etc... places you're likely to get bitten too. My friend goes to Scotland a lot and she did what I recommended and she didn't get bitten once either, and she gets bitten to death almost when she goes up there. Forgot to say.... I ended up in hospital in America with all the bites I got, that's how much they love me. Not no more they don't :D

15. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Esme, didn't you say in another thread that you wear perfume on a regular basis? Don't use perfume, scented deodorant or hair products and you may not need so much protection. Worth a try.

16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

I do, it's like brushing my teeth, second nature to me. But I have learnt to not use any on vacation, but sometimes I forget and spritz myself in the evening just before I walk out the door and then think Oh sh**. See here I can put it on every day and not get bothered so when abroad I forget I can't/shouldn't be doing that. I don't bath in it, just a light spray but I guess even that is enough to send them into a frenzy... however when I wear those bands I can still wear perfume. (sorry can't do paragraphs here for some reason) I like to spray my curtains lightly so when the breeze comes in it wafts gently through the whole house. One of my relatives said to me that my house always smells nice.

17. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    The only time I was bitten at DISNEY was when I went to the Hoop d e doo show and it was while I was waiting outside