1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Insurance

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Deafjeff, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hello all,

I am wondering which holiday insurance do you normally buy from?

We need a higher cancellation cover and money than previously. Most of the holiday company goes up to £600 for money which is a bit rubbish.

We looked at John Lewis and they quoted £288 for two of us :jawdrop:

However they seems to have quite a wider range of covers compared to other companies but I am not sure if it is gimmick?

2. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

Stay away from insureandgo.. We had our luggage left at T5 (it had no barcodes on it so they didn't know where it was). We got to France CDG going to DLP, we waiting for 2 hours in the airport and then reported it lost to a woman who refused to talk english. Anyways we got to our Hotel and called the insurance straight away, they said not to worry, and said we could spend up to £250 each for clothing.

So we spent about £120 each on clothing to last us the duration. We got back to the UK and emailed them scanned copies of the receipts, and posted the scanned copies through recorded mail. They sent a reply saying they needed the originals, so i sent them off too. The scanned copies were lost as I had forgot to make a backup and the hard drive crashed.

Needles to say, We didn't get paid, and with no original copies of receipts, they are not on our list of recommendations.

The wife has insurance with her M&S Credit Card + M&S Club Subscription. We haven't had to use it yet.

3. Deafjeff

Eeek that was our last company we used but didn't need to make any claim thankfully. The other thread about John Lewis's home insurance got me thinking as we usually go for the cheapest option. I hast made me wonder that cheapest is not always a good thing when it come to making a claim.

4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

£288!!! If you have no pre existing conditions that's extortionate!
    Do you need more than £600 cash? Is that each? We tend to take up to the insured amount in cash then the rest in travellers cheques and credit card for any big purchases/emergencies

5. Deafjeff

No not pre existing conditions insurance!

6. Britchick

wow! have a look on the Martin Lewis money saving site- they have lots of links to annual policies at reasonable prices :)

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Im still using the cover that comes with barclays premier but I do wonder if it's really enough :/

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I didn't pay that much for Chris and I for an annual policy last year and that was with all pre-existing conditions listed.

I'd definitely look around if I was you.

9. Britchick

We use it too, medical cover seems ok and that is the important thing to me really. Our effects are covered by a world wide forces policy so I don't worry about them though.

10. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

As some of you will have read on the other thread, I work for John Lewis (which means I can't afford their travel insurance!).

I also have an annual policy covering a pre-existing medical condition from justtravel.com. I found them from a comparison site (can't remember which, now) but they seem to offer decent cover at a reasonable rate. It needs renewing next month, but I'll probably just wait until my next trip and take out a new policy to save me paying for months where I have no travel plans.

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Make sure they don't automatically charge you for another year. I got caught out with Liverpool Victoria last year. It was only luck that made me realise and I was able to call them up to cancel it.

12. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Barclay's is the most easiest one i've seen online. They give you a basic price and package and then you add on bit you want like baggage cover or extra money cover and re calculates the premium.

They were too expensive for us as Jess has a pre existing condition.

In the end we went with Aviva and ended up buying an annual policy as it was cheaper than a single trip policy.

13. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

We had Allianze when we went to Cyprus and as you know DD got appendicitis 3rd day into our holiday... they paid up no problems and were absolutely brilliant every step of the way. They kept in constant contact with us and even when we came back they rang us up to see how she was doing weeks after we'd landed.

Sorry it doesn't answer your question about the money though.

Deafjeff likes this.
  14. Deafjeff

That company is on the list and cost us around £89 not sure if that is reasonable?