1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

International Driving Permit Required for Florida - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Wendy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Hopefully they clarify and sort out the legislation before we go in october. If not I will probably just swallow the cost just for peace of mind :rolleyes:

:wiggle:

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I completely agree with you Sue :yes:

3. welshjim22

welshjim22 Earning my ears

Well i won't be bothering until it's sorted. It should be noted not all Post Offices issues these IDP's. It amazes me that we actually issue an IDP in the Uk translating English into English. bearing in mind that is it's sole job.

4. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I HAVE JUST BOOKED MY CAR HIRE FROM DOLLAR AND THEY REQUEST AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LISCENCE

5. Wendy

Thank you so much for this Robert, that's really useful information.

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Thanks Robert - I was actually going to look into booking our car hire today (we use Dollar)

7. welshjim22

To be clear did they say licence or permit they are NOT the same thing?

not to mention doesn't this break the same international law Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949) that forced them to abandon enforcing the new law.

8. Wendy

The thing is some people will still be happier to get the IDP. The change in law hasn't been abandoned it had been suspended until the next meeting when it be discussed again.

Now I for one would get the IDP if I was going in the next few months. If nothing has been permanently decided in August then I will be getting one then.

Worse case scenario they find a way around the Geneva Convention and it is decided whilst someone is on holiday that it will stand and an IDP is required there will be no use saying "sorry officer but when I arrived I didn't need one" :shrug:

Each to their own I guess but for such a small amount of money I would advise people to get one, until there has been a permanent change back to the way it used to be, I know I will be.

9. welshjim22

In fact they have made it clear this law is an unintended consequence. I have simply asked did Dollar ask for a international licence or permit they ate different!

Would be a lot easier if it could be got from all post offices.

10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It would definitely be easier if it could be got from all post offices, although you can do it via post for a few quid more.

I had a pre-booking with Dollar and just paid the balance, in the final paperwork they mention they'll need to see an IDP at time of rental.

Now, by the time I come to rent, the law may have been changed and everyone told its not needed. Everyone may have got the message that the law was a silly unintended consequence and that prosecutions have been suspended.

Or .... Not ....

It's stupid, silly, a crazy oversight but there's just no way I'm going to take the chance for the few quid it costs. Even if they changed the law a week before I go out, I'll still be taking an IDP with me even if I think it's daft ;-)

11. Wendy

I would think Robert means Permit, but I am sure he will clarify this at some point.

Actually, according to the AA, an International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document and if you pay to get one of these from various Comapanies in the internet, you will not be able to use this to meet national requirements to carry an IDP.

In their update of 15 February 2013 they state:

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) has since released a Statement on International Driving Permits. This says that the Florida law will not be enforced until a final determination regarding the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic can be made. Although the DHSMV states the law will not be enforced, theoretically this law still exists.

Consequently, the AA strongly advises that you should obtain an IDP if you intend to drive in Florida before the possible repeal of the law in March.

The UK licence is a licence issued in the UK which can be used throughout Europe, it is not an international one.

12. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

13. Wendy

Great news, thank Mags :D