1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

International Travellers Could Face Delays at Customs

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Wendy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Passengers flying into Orlando International Airport and on other international flights into the US may face delays at customs due to the government sequester and budget cuts that went into effect on the 1st March.

The US Customs & Border Protection have cut back on the number of workers processing these flights. Overtime staffing has been reduced and there will be a freeze on hiring in the coming months.

Passengers departing airports will also be affected by long lines.

A statement released by the US Customs said,

"Under sequestration, US Customs and Border Protection will not be able to maintain its required staffing levels at our ports of entry. CBP reduced overtime this weekend at ports of entry around the country and effects are already visible. Lanes that would have previously been open due to overtime staffing were closed, further exacerbating wait times at airports with typically longer international arrival processes. In the coming weeks, we will see additional impacts as the CBP hiring freeze and furloughs take place."

Would long waits at customs put you off visiting the US or will you just think of where you will be once you get out of the airport?

2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

so whats new??

Last trip we waited 2 hours in a non a/c working room.... 1 agent for 3 full international flights

We then waited an extra hour until they realised Toño wasnt a drug dealer :shrug1:

So now Im considering at least a 3 hour wait until we go through... hope its not 5 hours though :unsure:

3. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Wendy, I appreciate all the great work you do in gathering the news together here, but this is only the second thread Ive read today and it isnt going well. :blech:Considering how long the queues are already, this isnt good news.

Mags

4. Wendy

Oh Mags, there are some nice threads of information out there as well :hug2:

I don't know what's happening in the US, first the IDP, then allowing knives and sporting equipment on flights and on top of that delays because of sequestration :shrug:

If they want to stop UK visitors they just need to carry on as they are :sigh:

Maybe Europe won't be so bad next year after all :sigh:

5. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Do you guys actually want our tourist dollars or not?

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Things like this are just the tip of the iceberg. All of the spending cuts haven't even kicked in yet and almost 1 Million government workers are looking at 20% pay cuts. I don't know about you but something like that is really tough to absorb.

7. Wendy

It's going to hit you and Donna badly John isn't it :hug2:

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I'm sorry John that we're moaning about this and it's going to affect peoples livelihoods :hug2:

9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Yes Wendy it is. The hit could be as bad as $40,000 but we don't expect it to be that high.

10. Wendy

I'm so sorry :sigh: and here we are complaining about being delayed at the airport :hug2: it's terrible that this is happening to you both :(

11. Sam

Sam Imagineer

Sorry that it's hitting you guys too. :hug2:

To be honest with the delays, I kind of expect it everywhere. I've had it flying into the UK before now, waited just short of 3 hrs coming into Heathrow from Bahrain.

My only worry is that it doesn't start causing problems with security and things start to be missed as fewer staff are expected to do more and end up getting tired. :shrug1:

12. welshjim22

welshjim22 Earning my ears

Firstly this is a pet hate of mine it is immigration not Customs where the issue is. They maybe part of the same department but it is two very different jobs. Secondly queues for security or doing the job properly is fine but this appears to be money based. Bet they have too many senior managers just like Uk goverment departments.

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Money based? Yes, but not in the way you mean. It's a matter of our government departments not being able to come to a sensible consensus and so cutbacks will ensue. Those who are left will do more with less. Those who will suffer those effects will be the consumer. Not a situation anyone likes or wishes to have to deal with, but until we here in the US vote the fools out of office, it's going to continue unabated.

14. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

And not to forget the workers who will have cuts to their income. We have friends that are in the reserve (US Air Force) they have lost one days work a week until October. These are the people that are still going into dangerous places for all of us :(

15. Wendy

I can't believe they have cut their time and pay, that's just disgusting :( the armed forces should be protected from things like this.

16. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I think the regular forces are ok it's just the reserves, but even so he still goes to dangerous places

17. Wendy

They are one and the same in my eyes Julie.

18. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

All of our elected officials certainly don't seem to be taking a pay cut! That is what burns me up the most. They make the mess and everyone else has to pay for it.

19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If the taxes were adjusted on luxury vacation homes and things like yachts, this whole sequester business would most likely be avoided. Instead, we'll cut critically needed food to women, infants and children who cannot afford staples such as milk, eggs, cheese, etc.