1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Internet access at disney?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by UKTim, Jul 26, 2008.

1. UKTim

UKTim Earning my ears

Is there any info around here about internet and how to get on at disney? do they have wifi or broadband or is it all still dialup thanks!

2. dzneeprincss

dzneeprincss Earning my ears

It is all still dial up and if you own DVC and are staying in a DVC resort it is free otherwise it is $9.95 for 24 hours.
    Marie

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I believe they have high-speed internet (you interpret that!) at all of the WDW resorts for $9.95 per 24-hour period. If you manage it well--and are frugal of mind!--you can maneuver that to cover two days.

You also can jerry-rig dial-up, if you choose. That's what I do, as I'm exceedingly frugal and just checking email when at WDW.

If you plan to use dial-up, be sure to bring a connector and an additional short telephone cord. You don't have to, but some of the phone lines are very short and it's difficult trying to balance and use the laptop on a short leash! :)

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Yep, two options in the room.

Dial up.... make sure you get a local orlando number from your provider. It USED to be 75c per local call but in May I noticed it said local calls were now free? I'll have to check that out again

High Speed Internet Access.... $9.95 per contiguous 24hours access. So it lasts from say 5pm till 4.59pm the next day whether you use it the whole time or not. It's very easy to buy and is charged to your room. There's a cable in a bag in the wardrobe in your room and if there isn't, a call to mousekeeping will get one delivered. There's a charge if you take the cable with you so remember to put it back.

Wifi... there is no wifi in the rooms at Disney however, if you have or buy a little <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0016KHYL6?ie=UTF8&tag=disneysecretc-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B0016KHYL6">AirPort Express Base Station</a> then you can just plug it into the wall and plug the cable into that instead of your pc. Then you'll have wireless access :) it works great!

There is also wifi in some common areas around certain resorts:-
    Price: $4.99 for the first 60 minutes or $9.95 for 24 contiguous hours
    Disney's BoardWalk Resort: Convention Center Hallways/Common Areas, Resort Lobby, Main Swimming Pool Area, Concierge Lounges, Bellevue Lounge

Disney's Contemporary Resort: Front desk sitting area, 14th Floor Concierge - sitting area, Outer Rim Bar (near Concourse Steakhouse), 1st Floor Convention Center Lobby, 2nd Floor Convention Center Lobby, Feature Pool.

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort: Main Hotel Lobby, Convention Center Lobby area, Feature Pool, Francisco's Lounge.

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa: 1st Floor Lobby area including Tea Room, Convention Center Lobby area, 4th Floor Concierge area - sitting area.

Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts: Main Lobby area (both resorts), Concierge sitting area (both resorts), Convention Center Lobby area, Stormalong Bay Pool.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wouldn't it make life a little simpler Keith, to have your own aircard? That way you don't need to worry about WDW access? :unsure: (I'm still pretty fuzzy on how all this access stuff really works. I just know that I use my aircard and don't have to worry about wifi or anything else).

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

You know, you're absolutely right :)

The last time I posted about internet access from disney, the cell phone companies were all hideously expensive for internet access. Now though there are these neat little adapters you can just plug into your laptop and they'll get you on the internet anywhere you can get a cell signal!

Many of them have data limits in terms of how much you can download in a month and of course you generally have to subscribe to their services so they're not necessarily convenient for say a UK person for a 2 week period.

...but yep! they free you from needing wifi OR The in room broadband :)

7. Tink

Plus, now that you mention it, Disney has some sort of cyber shield going on and it makes for iffy cell signals on a regular basis. Might make the aircard use problematic too.

8. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Must say, I really *do* find it silly that Disney is still "charging" for Internet access...seems like such a basic service that could be provided for little cost to Disney and be advertised as a "mega" perk.

9. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

You can purchase aircards at various stores now--Target & WalMart, for sure. Not cheap, but available.

But, as Tink noted, any cell service can be iffy at WDW, particularly in the rooms. We haven't had any connection issues outside (Verizon & T-Mobile), but inside the rooms can be patchy.

10. Tink

I used an aircard at this last stay at the Polynesian and SSR. No problems what so ever. May have been a bit slow every now and then, but that is always the case with an aircard. Carrier is Verizon.

11. Beccaberry

Does anyone know (ballpark) what the cost of an aircard is?

12. Tink

Hmmmmm...mine was purchased by work, but I think in the neighborhood of $60-80? You then need to pay for the service.

13. Beccaberry

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks, Tink!

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I don't have a problem with a modest length of stay charge but $9.95 for 24 hours is ABSURD