1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Intersting article on Cruise Line tipping...

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by Beccaberry, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Nice to have it all laid out there. NCL is our preferred line (right now). We so prefer the automatically added gratuity to the main bill, and then the auto gratuity for any bar service. It's just so much simpler.

We have never adjusted downward for gratuity, but have provided extra from time to time.

DCL was the closest we have ever come to adjusting downward, but in the grand scheme of things the person who would have ended up penalized was not the person who could have changed the situation so we didn't take that particular action.

Crew onboard cruises work non-stop and very hard. This is the one setting where I don't mind tipping at all.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

For us Brits who are often confused regarding who to tip and by how much, I reckon DCL have got it just about right by giving you the guidelines, yet still leaving things to your own discretion.

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

I prefer the DCL way of tipping. We know throughout the whole cruise that 15% is being added to the drink bill or whatever it might be for. As far as tipping for your head server, server, asst server & room host/hostess I don't think they can make it any more simple. We were talking to a couple of servers at Topsiders at breakfast in the mornings and you would be shocked to hear how many people stiff them at the end of the cruise. :thumbsdown:

It may seem like a lot at the end of the cruise to pay $168 in tips for two people (seven day cruise) but you have to think that's for seven days of service. That's only $12 a day per person to have service for a four course dinner and someone cleaning your room twice a day.