1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

ios 7

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Wendy, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

So what's it like Keith :D or haven't you got it yet.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Re: ISO7

iOS not ISO ;-)

yeah! I was there, trying to download it as soon as the keynote finished. So I've been running it for a few days now.

The first thing to say is that the icons/colour schemes right now are like something from a katy perry video. Very very bright, candy colours. It all feels a little too pop and silly at the moment but they've said that this is just a beta, it's just a step on the road and in no way a final thing which is more than fair! It's a beta.

In terms of usage, there are some really great little things and as always with Apple, you don't always see the new bits immediately, it's just a feeling that stuff is working more nicely.

For example, finally it gets a swipe up to see a "control panel" of common settings so you can easily get to bluetooth on/off, volume/brightness etc.

pictures are organised by time which is really cute. there's iradio which looks at what youre listening to and suggests similar songs so you can find new stuff you may like.

There's airdrop nice and easy to use/find so you just click share, and other people in the room will pop up on the display so you can share. Nicer than having to bump phones a'la android.

The fonts are much more modern and a fave of mine, finally, animated backgrounds. The one thing i liked on android was my animated backgrounds of the christmas cottage with snow falling etc LOL

Then there's nice things like panoramic photos as home screens and as you hold the phone it kinda scrolls the photo around

Now, it's true to say that a lot of whats there is catch up with Android AND what isn't in ios7 so far are widgets or tiles or anything else that sits on the screen and provides real time information like android/windows phone. That was widely rumoured and expected so whether SOMETHING like that will be built into 7 before go live who knows.

As it stands, if I imagine a more finessed version of this beta, which is for sure what will happen, then I can see a more modern feeling phone. Animated backgrounds, assuming apple lets third parties make them, will be all the rage and the whole phone experience feels much more contemporary WITHOUT feeling alien and confusing.

I must admit when I first saw it I thought oh just a freaky pop-art skin :/ but no, it's more than that without losing the iphone feel which lets face it, has been such a hit.

3. Wendy

:taunt:my fingers type faster than my brain :lol:

Chris is teasing as usual, he said so basically Apple are copying Android :lol: he said he uses the slide for services etc much quicker than having to go the long way round on my iPhone. He thinks that's a good improvement.

4. keith

There are a lot of new bits in ios 7 which you can't help but think hmmm that's almost a straight copy from Android. The services slide up being one of them. I mean, it's hard to complain because it's such an obvious and great improvement but it's also hard to argue it's not a pretty straight copy ;-)

5. Wendy

Hhhmm, Chris said that he's read that there is a similarity between some of the jailbroken features, which Apple don't approve of but seem to think they are a good idea :lol:

6. keith

yeah I definitely think that's true :lol:

I guess Apple's point of view has always been that they want to present a very ordered and controlled environment. They don't want developers to have access to so much that they could do bad things to the phone in the background etc. So whereas they may not allow enough access for a third party developer to do a certain thing, if they like the idea, they'll implement it themselves in a safe way

7. Wendy

:yes: and all it does is make Chris more and more likely to get an iPhone :D

8. keith

It's still my favourite after trying all the latest windows and android phones :yes:

9. Wendy

Well you've almost converted him :D

10. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I have been having trouble with my ymail email recently (been hacked for the second time) so I decided to open a icloud.com email. It's great accept I still need a third party email to use for my Apple ID as they have no way of merging the two. Apparently you cannot have the same icloud email as apple ID! :(

Regardless of that though I am really enjoying my iphone.

I am due an upgrade next month and I am tempted to go for the iphone 5 however the android (the Samsung S4) is calling me.

I love the ease of use of an Iphone. I think I will end up sticking with it to be honest.

I have an ipad too but it's only the original so that needs upgrading too! lol :yes:

Will the new ios be rolled out to the iphone 4 do we know?

11. keith

yeah it's a bit daft that you can't use existing email domains with icloud.

All signs point to there being a new iphone, probably an incremental upgrade from 5 to 5s, in September along with a retina version of the mini ipad (we hope). I'd expect iOS 7 to be rolled out for that launch and should be available to existing devices within a week or two of the new devices.

12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Did I read correctly that this will also become available for iPad?

13. keith

yep!

14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

So then, give me your opinions...I dropped my 4s (eek!) the other night at a concert and have a hairline crack across the screen (not a huge deal, it's not in the best of shape to begin with - I've had it for AGES). I'm due for an upgrade, but haven't yet taken it because as it stands I have unlimited data usage, but last year Verizon ended that program and now only offer a tiered program. I'm currently "grandfathered" in, but when I upgrade, I'll lose it. So, the question is....should I make a claim through insurance and get a new 4s and keep that (and my unlimited data) until September when they're likely to put out a 5s, or should I go ahead and upgrade to the 5 now?

Thoughts?

15. keith

I definitely wouldnt go for a 5 now, especially not if you lose your unlimited!!!

Given the choice I'd definitely do the insurance claim, get the new 4s, keep it nice until september then sell it if you like the 5s and pay the extra to get an unlocked one out of pocket. that way you'll keep your unlimited

16. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Keep the unlimited data at all costs! :mental:

I lost my unlimited data plan through an AT&T upgrade and I seriously regret it! I've taken to turning on airplane mode while it's in the charger overnight just to avoid "accidents".

Had an application that failed to play nice and tried to stream video all night over 3G. It was ugly at best. :shocked:

Tom :)macwave:... my 2 cents)

17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Are you sure you will lose your grandfather status? I have unlimited with AT&T. We have made all sorts if changes, upgrades, etc and I keep my grandfathered status.

18. Beccaberry

Unfortunately, I'm absolutely certain as we've been through it twice now with Andrew's phone and Jon's. Stinks.

19. Beccaberry

Keith, that's actually a really good idea. I hadn't thought of doing it that way.

And yes, I am really LOATHE to lose my unlimited data, especially given I typically use about twice as much as anyone else in the house.

Thanks for the thoughts!

20. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

Don't suppose it has the one thing it really really needs......FLASH!!!! does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk