1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

iPad acquired

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, May 14, 2010.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well the deed is done :yes: iPad has been duly purchased

The reservation and purchase process was problematic, and this was almost entirely down to some less than stellar service from a couple of apple store staff. I'll comment on that to apple via their comments link so moving on swiftly :yes:

The apple stores were all extremely busy with people asking about ipad and accessories. When I say busy, read manic. All demo ipads in two local stores were being used with people queuing to try them.

The device itself is simply stunning. It's actually not as large in my hands as I expected it to be, I believe it COULD Work as a carry everywhere filofax, for those of us who remember the 80s, device :yes: It is heavier than would feel optimal though, although the weight adds to the solid feel of the device.

Nothing on startup other than a sync to itunes screen. Literally, you can do nothing with it out of the store until it's linked up, it's a brick. I've no real idea why it must be so but ok.

Turns on instantly like the iphone and even faster than a macbook, which is quite a feat, way faster than a windows device. That feels more important than I'd expected since I've taken to reading tech manuals on it already and immediate switch on is important.

The apps are great. One immediate observation, iphone apps do NOT cut it on the ipad. Natively they look too tiny, at 2x they look silly. App developers will have to code for ipad and if there was an app I wanted to buy now, I probably wouldnt unless it had an ipad version.

Web browsing works great, as you'd expect :) However no support for flash as we know, but also no support for full Java. This counts out some java games and other things on the web. There IS of course full javascript support which is heck, 100% essential.

The app that surprised me most perhaps is the book reader. I listened to others really wanting that and thought hmmm maybe but I probably wont love it. Well I love it :yes: for those waiting for it I think you'll love it too! I know kindle owners have this already but Ive now got a ton of books on here, all searchable, easily readable, bookmarkable down to the word and so on. I'm impressed. I can see kids interactive books, books where you take on the role of the character and the plot changes, books with videos, books with dynamically updated sections from the internet and so on. Books are changing :yes:

Mail is beautiful. I run an email company so this is close to our hearts and its well just fantastic. Theyve been very clever the way they get the mailbox views out of the way and devote the screen to your email.

Much more to say but it's worth the wait. It's worth the hassle. It's a little bit of the future here today :yes:

2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I now so cannot wait!

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Instant switch on is very important to me, which one did you get in the end?

4. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

It is the best invention since sliced bread :)
    Glad you got it which did you get in the end?

5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Without wishing to step on his toes as he is on HOLIDAY at the moment

I believe he went for the 64gb Wi Fi as it was the only one he could get his mitts on :)

Thanks for the review mate

really cannot wait

:mental:

6. daveann

I have read that the 3 g models are slightly thicker wondered if he had gone for that one.

I'm off to Southampton apple store to see if they have any cases this morning :)

7. Skywatcher

remember mouse on the move :mental:

:unsure:

I think I'm a bit 'sad'

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Absolutely! :yes: But, you can also get the Kindle app for iPad. No, it doesn't interface with your "book shelf", it's got it's own, but if the book you want isn't available in the iTunes book store, you might be able to find a Kindle version. I had to do this with the "Hitchiker's Guide". Wasn't available yet in the iTunes book store but was available in a Kindle version. All that being said, if it suddenly shows up in the iBook store, I'll probably just purchase a copy from there so I can have it with the rest of my books.

Now, oddly enough, there's no good way to do things like read PDF's. Unless they're buried in web pages. The iWork suite supports them (Pages) but you've got to get them to it. So, what I did was purchase an application called "Air Sharing HD". It let's me mount my iPad as a disk to my Mac wirelessly or mount my .me iDisk to my iPad so I can load my iPad with PDF's, RTF, RTFD, images, etc. It then has a viewer in it that allows me to read those files that I've loaded onto my iPad. And lots more. The point is, it can be done relatively easily.

What Keith said!

Glad you got it mate! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club. Remind me to teach you the super secret handshake! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... another one bites the dust!)

9. daveann

remember get your accessories before you come home cause there not released here until ipad release date :( just been to the apple store :)

10. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

11. keith

Ah yes, I wrote a simple little php script to list all the pdfs in a directory in a nice format so now if I want one, I just put it in the directory and my ipad has a nifty bookmark to PDF LIST job done

You're all going to LOVE it, it IS worth the wait :yes:

Accessories wise, I cant get them over here anyway :lol: so they'll have to wait.

I went to the bar last night and a guy there had one. He was a web designer (but I didnt hold that against him :lol: ) and we were just chatting about web design generally. At one point he wanted to illustrate an idea... went to a web site, did a quick screenshot, within a second it was in an ipad drawing app and he was putting arrows here there and everywhere to show what should go where. All via touch. Passed it to me, I said argh no thats terrible, should be like this, drag this there, put that there, colour that bit like this. show.

It was one of those tech geeky moments where you just smile realising that something is just more intuitive, easier and more "right" than it was before :yes:

12. Skywatcher

:mental:

Its like the Jetsons

13. keith

:laugh:

Funny you should say that because we did get into our flying bubble cars shortly afterwards :yes: pulled over later by the astrocops :( too much wine to be flying really

Keith (iPadding giddiness wooooohoooooo)

14. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Keith,

Do you happen to know which one he was using? :unsure:
    I've been looking at the drawing apps and haven't seen anything that really floats my boat.

BTW... saw that Omnigraffle is now available on the iPad but they want $49.95 for the thing! :eek:

Tom :)macwave:... app parently overwhelmed!)

15. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Pleased you got one :thumbsup:

16. keith

Argh omni :( theyre so totally macosx. Everything they do is kinda right but they do charge for it :( omnigraffle is so great on the mac though I may be tempted

I dont know exactly what app he was using since I was trying to act cool as if I'd had an ipad from about a year before anyone else had one :lol: but I think it may have been photopad. We werent doing anything really adventurous just annotating, arrows here and there etc

If you find a great one let me know, otherwise we'll have to write one :D

17. Deafjeff

I am not sure but.... is this any good?

Sketchbook pro app $7.99
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/…
    iTunes Store

18. Deafjeff

19. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

Now im probably going to get a slap for this, but i really don't see what all the fuss is about.

It just seem to me to be a bigger version of the touch or iphone (but without the phone part). Isn't it the same principles just on a larger scale. Just seems that Apple just wants our pennies.

Sorry just my opinion :)

20. Deafjeff

:thud: :jawdrop: :lalala: