1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

iPad acquired

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, May 14, 2010.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Ahem. M'dear? Did you just say the Emperor is naked? :eek: ;) :hug2:

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Actually Jeff, that's gotten stellar reviews. :thumbsup:

However, it's more an artists tool than what I'm after. If you're interested, here's a video they did showing it's capabilities. Way more than I need or could figure out. I'm not an artist.

I'm more interested in something that's more technical illustration oriented. That's got the sketch oriented drawing tools but also some vector tools where, like Keith said, I can draw circles, arrows, boxes, make annotations, etc.

Lisa, I actually understand what you're saying. :yes:

However, take a look at that Sketchbook Pro video I put in this post earlier and tell me you can do things like that on the touch or the iPhone.

The way I see it is that the iPod Touch or the iPhone is a convenience item. They work well for the quick check of email or the internet while you're out. Or perhaps to find the nearest toilet.

The way I see this thing is more like a revolution in portable computing. Almost like your laptop with nothing but the screen. Between applications like Sketchbook Pro, Apples own iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) and other that are hitting the store daily, I think this thing can replace a laptop in very many cases.

Tom :)macwave:... try it, you'll understand!)

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Maybe that is the key, catrancher; trying it. :yes:

I too wonder how it becomes more than a glorious toy... :embarassed: But I am intrigued. However, way too pricey for me. :redface:

4. catrancher

Yep. I've used Omni on the Mac since version 3. It's stellar for things like class diagrams. Couldn't live without it. :yes:
    And yes, I'm certainly tempted by the iPad version!

I've got PhotoPad. For free, it's hard to beat. There's some implementation bits I might have done differently but, like I said, for free it's hard to beat.

Okay! :thumbsup:
    If we have to write one, I know you're a graphics guru but how's your OpenGL ES? I'm still working on mine! :laugh2:

Frustums, anyone? :geekon:

Tom :)macwave:... neat stuff!)

5. catrancher

Or, take a look at these videos Tink! These are the Apple iWork videos:

There's no way you could do those on an iPhone or an iPod touch. And, if you're like the vast majority of computer users, these are the kind of things you'd normally do on your laptop.

No, this is a revolution in mobile computing. Some people have said it's a laptop killer. I'm not prepared to accept that yet but for the mobile business person or the casual computer user I feel that this is the wave of the future. And it's here today!

Tom :)macwave:... not giving mine up. Ever!)

6. catrancher

Found this freebie this morning.

Adobe Ideas 1.0

It's not bad. Gives you a picture layer (bitmap) and a drawing layer (vector) and overlays the vector on top of the picture. You can then scribble or draw all over the picture without actually doing it any harm. Then you can email the results as a PDF. Really wish it had a text layer and would save your work but then again, it's only 1.0 and it's free. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... if it's free, it's for me!)