1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

ipad questions

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, May 10, 2012.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Okay, it appears that with my new job, I will need to provide my own computer. I believe this is the case as it is not a true requirement for my actual job. However, I would like to have a computer where I work.

That leads me to my next question. For those experienced with the iPad, do you think it would do for a work type of device? I may need to do a few notes, but from my understanding that's it. I'm thinking I could buy a keyboard to connect to it, correct?

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yes, yes, and yes. :yes:

You can get a external keyboard. And with applications like Pages in your iWork suite, you can easily share documents between your iPad and your iMac. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... sent from my iPad.)

3. foreverducky

That's good to know. I thought about buying an apple laptop, but they're an extra $500.

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Which iPad did you get? The newest one has a speak software so you can just speak your case notes into it and then put them wherever they need to go. The OT at work was showing me. Very cool.

5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Or you could down load bamboo notes and write a note with bamboo stylus pen. A friend of mine write notes using this. You can have different colour for different area of work or project.

:mental:

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4ckli2

6. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

Oooo I didn't know that Jeff, will have to try that. I've just bought a stylus type pen so my clients can sign their contracts on my iAd, makes me feel important, lol :)

7. foreverducky

I haven't bought one yet. I'm still deciding which road I should go down....ipad (newest version) or an apple laptop. I will have to see what kind of education discount I can get for the laptop.

My feeling on it, is that I want something I will be able to use in and out of work.

That stylus thing sounds way cool!

8. foreverducky

the iPad is much cheaper than the laptop even with the education discount. Hmm, now which iPad to get. They are selling both the older and newest version. Is the newest version worth getting?

Also, has anyone bought any awesome cases/covers that they recommend?

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I have to say that if you are trying to decide between the two still, go with the laptop. You'll be able to do everything with it and not be limited. :yes:

Now, if you can swing a Mac Air do it! :yes: I LOVE this machine. You will be so very amazed.

If not, then go with a Macbook pro. They are incredible machines too, and I had a really hard time deciding between the pro and the air (but my love of the newest electronic gizmo won out). :D

10. foreverducky

I totally understand what you're saying.

If I buy the iPad, I still have to buy a keyboard and mouse for the office. There goes another 100-150 dollars. It's so hard to stomach the $949 of the latest apple laptop.

11. Tink

Yes, they are not cheap. And that is the beauty of them. Proportionately, the iPad is not the better value though. I'm not "dissing" iPads, mind it's just to me they are more of a luxury than the necessity that a laptop is (or could be).

Hope that makes sense!

12. foreverducky

Definitely makes sense (even at 6:24 in the morning)! :yes:

13. foreverducky

Maybe a stupid question, but you can share easily from an iMac to an apple laptop?

14. catrancher

Oh absolutely! :yes:

And to an iPad or an iPhone or... you choose.

There are a couple of ways. First is Apple's new iCloud. With iCloud you can have what they're calling "documents in the cloud". What this means is that if you've got iCloud enabled applications on your devices (Apples own iWork suite for example), your documents automatically get synced between your devices using iCloud. My only problem with this approach is that Apple is not giving us (so far), any options on what gets synced and what doesn't. I want and need more control than they're offering. Again... at least so far.

However, there's another way that I much prefer. At least right now. That's by using Dropbox. With Dropbox, you install a little application on all your devices. Now, any files that you put in Dropbox on one device are available on your other devices. There's only one minor issue with this approach. Apple's iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) don't work with it natively. There's workarounds you can do or additional products you can get that will allow you to do it but right now, it's a bit of a pain. Of course, if you're only working with the iWork suite, syncing to iCloud may be all that you need.

Finally, there are specific applications that DO allow you more transparency between your devices. Things like "Noteability". If you're just looking to take notes and keep them in sync across all your devices, something like this in combination with Dropbox is probably the way to go. This app (which only runs on the iPad or iPhone) can sync your notes to your Dropbox account as an RTFD document. This format includes text, images, and even audio. Then, on your Mac, you can use the native RTF tools on your Mac like TextEdit to edit the document. Put it back in your Dropbox and it's available again everywhere.

There's really no "perfect" solution yet. Everybody's just starting to hop onto this "cloud" bandwagon. Things will get better, I'm sure. Apple I think will have to provide more user control over what goes into iCloud. Services like Dropbox will continue to improve their integration. Right now, most of it is in it's infancy. I'm sure it'll get better!

Tom :)macwave:... kind of long winded. Again. :sigh:)

15. catrancher

Wait! Don't do anything quite yet. :shocked:

If you can wait until next month, the Apple Worldwide Developers conference happens June 11-15. They have always announced new products there. There's currently rumors of an overhaul to the Macbook Pro lineup. Supposedly making them more Macbook Air like. And even one rumor floating around of a new Macbook Air in Q3 targeted with $799 price tag. This to compete with the Intel Ultrabooks that are coming. Whether it actually happens or not is anybodies guess but I'd certainly wait to see what comes out of WWDC next month.

Tom :)macwave:... patience grasshopper!)

16. catrancher

No mouse. Remember, it's a touch screen device. :D

For a keyboard/case type of thing, there's the Zagg ones. There's others. Lots!

Tom :)macwave:... I just like the name Zagg. I'm easily impressed.)

17. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well as an iMac owner and now...ta da...iPad owner I would caution that if you were working with just an iPad I think you would find it a bit tedious being that you would most likely still need a wireless keyboard (if you were planning on the typical work applications, and would not have the mouse to move things along). That being said I was at a NASA workshop and a few of the participants used their iPads with a keyboard and were able to do most everything we needed to do. I LOVE my (ok, now OUR iPad as DW and DD have used it more than I have:tongue:) and think it is the most incredible device but in reality it is like a palm pilot on serious steroids (IMHO). It is a great source of entertainment and information, but I think that even with the productivity suite titles, you will be better off with the fantastic power book...step up and pay a bit more up front and you won't be sorry.

But I did say it was the coolest invention in the world right?:tongue:

18. foreverducky

Thank you so much for all the advice/suggestions! :worship:

I can definitely wait until June to see what will be new. I will attempt to locate my patience while I wait.

19. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Earning my ears

Suggestion: Older iPad and a MacBook. The AND is important. I can't live without either of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. Tink

Oooooh, nice info regarding June, Catrancher! Herself wants another Mac Air so we'll be watching to see what plays out then too. :yes:

Southern Dad, I like your style!