1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

ipad questions

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, May 10, 2012.

1. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I purchased a MacBook Pro last year. I bought it refurbished with the educational discount. I was also able to buy the Apple Care protection plan. It's a phenomenal computer! So much so that I get very aggravated with my work pc (though that is in part also a server issue).

If you are the type of person who can pay off something in a year, you can take get Apple financing and no finance charges if you pay it off in the year.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Yup I wouldn't want to be without either but today, if you forced me to give one up, I'd have to give up the iPad

I can do everything with my MacBook air/pro I'd just miss the iPad for convenience. The same isn't yet true the other way round though I believe that day is coming

I'm waiting for June hoping I get my 15" screen on an air or 15" pro lighter

3. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Earning my ears

I'm kind of spoiled. I have the MacPro on the desk, the MacBook Pro, the iPad and iPhone. Yes, I'm an Apple addict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Join the club! :yes:

There's a whole bunch of us on here that are also.

Tom :)macwave:... since 1984... )

5. keith

yep :D

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I have become one. I bought the iMac last year, and I will not own a pc again. I do have an android phone...that is until I can get another upgrade. :D

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Nope not me :sigh:

8. catrancher

Ahhh... but there are so many others. For instance:

• me
    • Keith
    • Josh
    • Forever Ducky - convert as a result of Secrets
    • Johnie
    • Tink
    • Skywatcher - convert as a result of Secrets
    • and now Southern Dad
    • Watchinherskip - update
    • Lisa1976 - update

I may have missed some. I'm not sure. Those are the ones off the top of my head. If I missed anyone else, I apologize.

So, you see, it's like the ocean waves. Inevitable. Nothing can stand in it's way. :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... next... world domination!)

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. Johnie

I'm a convert due to Secrets. I bought the Mac Pro last year and I, too, will never own a pc again

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm still deeply rooted in PC myself. Mainly though, because I cannot afford a Mac that would meet my needs.

11. Johnie

They are definitely expensive. John, have you looked at the refurbished ones?

12. catrancher

Not necessarily. At least not a lot. If you want a desktop, you can get into a Mac Mini for $599. Add a keyboard, mouse and monitor and you're ready to go. iMac's start at $1199. Notebooks like the Macbook Air or or a Macbook Pro start at $999 and $1199 respectively. Most pc's of equivalent configuration will cost you almost as much.

More expensive that a PC? I don't really think so. At least if you compare apples to apples. Sure, you can get a pc cheaper but you give up capability to do so. At least that's been my experience.

Tom :)macwave:... just sayin'...)

13. Wendy

:yes: I agree John, when I bought my laptop, Apple didn't have anything anywhere neat as good performance wise. The other huge thing for us is that all the programs we have are for Windows and whilst I know you can buy something to run Windows products on an Apple it just seems a bit defeatist.

I would love a Mac Air but I couldn't afford or justify paying the money for one :shrug:

Chris has offered to get me an ipad so that it will be lighter for me on holiday, but everything is on my laptop and even though I use dropbox for some things, I think I will find an ipad to restrictive and annoying for typing :lol: Keith actually did agree with me on that :lol:

14. catrancher

As do I. If I were going to do any serious typing on my iPad, I'd need a real keyboard of some sort. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... but it's still as handy as pockets on a shirt!)

15. Wendy

Yeah, but as I use my laptop all the time, what would I use an ipad for :unsure:

16. keith

yeah, having seen how fast you churn things out on that laptop. Of course you could attach a keyboard to the ipad.

but I do agree with everyone, for some people, they could get away with the ipad. My mother hasn't touched her macbook since she got an ipad. For most of us, I think the ipad is GETTING there but not quite there yet in terms of being the only device.

HOWEVER..... price/performance is one of those weird things. I've had toshiba laptops since they were huge and black/white only. Soon as I tried an Apple powerbook(then macbook pro) that was it. I switched.

The feel, the quality the whole experience is in another world. Even if you use windows on it, which I frequently need to do, the hardware is still brilliant.

In my experience they last much longer, you dont feel that upgrade urge etc.

So it's one of those things. Say a dell is £700 and the macbook equivalent is £1000. In my experience, although you'll be happy with the dell for a while, you'll be happier and for longer with the macbook. So over time, it makes up for the initial outlay.

Now, all that is such a total apple fanboy thing to say and I know that's how it sounds too but I really do believe it hand on heart. I'm typing this on a 27" imac (running windows right now). It's a few years old, I guess I should feel like an upgrade but it's absolutely silent in use, fast, reliable, lovely to look at and honestly as close to perfect as I've ever had in a desktop computer.

My final argument :lol: you can, and I do, run windows on apple computers. Sometimes I run it in bootcamp which means I'm just using it completely as a windows computer, no mac osx being used, sometimes I'll boot into macosx and just run any windows apps I need in a window (click on them and it just happens). So with any of my mac stuff I can run mac and/or windows depending on what I feel I want/need. On a pc/laptop from another vendor, I can only run windows (or linux etc.) no apple stuff. For me, that flexibility is useful too and worth a couple of hundred extra on the buy price.

17. catrancher

I have mine next to my chair in our den. In the evening when we're watching TV, if an email comes in or I need to look something up quickly, it's right there. I don't have to go turn on my main machine or even get out of my chair. Very handy when my DW says "who's that actor". IMDB is right there with the answer.

Tom :)macwave:... great for those kind of things...)

18. Wendy

I am sad and have no life :lol: I watch TV with my laptop on my lap doing things on here as well :lol: :anxious:

I know what you are saying Keith, I have had to have a new hard drive in my Dell and my battery is shot :lol: On the other hand Chris' Lattitude whilst being slower than mine :D is as good as new - maybe that's something to do with the fact that I use mine more than him.

So that's the other thing I am probably on my Dell, about 7 hours or so a day, surely with that amount of use I'm better spending less money and replacing when I need to :unsure:

19. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Not necessarily. Before I had my macbook I'd get 'that itch' for a new laptop pretty much every year. There'd be some new processor out, or some new software that I liked to use. That's not even taking into account the times I *had* to replace it because through heavy usage my laptops just didn't last that long :rotfl:. Since having a macbook, whilst I've sort of pined for a Macbook Pro, I've never come close to actually buying it because my macbook does everything I want. I've had my macbook for about 3 years now. I must use it for at least 7 hours a day, too.

For example, right now I have secrets open, Facebook open, and mail open. Alongside that I'm making photos transparent in photoshop and adding them to a leaflet in inDesign.

That is on a dual core machine with 2gb of ram. My Dad's laptop is a windows equivalent however it has 4gb of ram, and it is seriously laggy doing any multi tasking. He has to defrag it often and to boot it is about a year and a half 'younger' than my macbook. The mac operating system is just so light.

20. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Earning my ears

When it comes to computers, you get what you pay for. My daughter has a Power Mac G5 in her room that was purchased in 2003. It still works fine on OS X Leopard. The only changes to it from the time it was purchased is a bigger hard drive.

My daughter's laptop is a MacBook purchased at the end of '06 or early '07. It is running OS X Lion. The only upgrade on this one was additional RAM.

I don't think you'll find too many PC's of those ages still completely usable. My computers are a bit newer because I'm spoiled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD