1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

iPhone 4 or the new 5

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, Jul 8, 2013.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I will be upgrading my phone in about a month. I have had Droid phones very quite a few years, but now with having an iMac and an iPad I'm thinking it would be nice to have an iPhone. They have good deals for the 4, but would it be better to get the 5? :unsure:

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That's quite hard :/ in general it's usually better to go for the newer device for resale value and sometimes newer features are only available on the newer handsets.

The 5 is a bit of a weird one because to be honest, there's not much newer/better about it and some people consider it worse in terms of shape/batterylife etc.

Then of course in september we all expect a 5s to come out ... which again we dont really expect to be amazing.

So whatever you do in august, you're likely to get a better deal by waiting till sep/oct. If you want the latest, you'll be able to trade for a 5s. If you want a 5 it'll be cheaper and a 4s will be cheaper still.

Not sure that really helps but I guess you could go try both the 4(or4s) and the 5.. see what you think? If you dont like the 5 but DO like the 4 and can get a brill deal then perhaps that's the way to go? If you prefer the 5, then you really do need to wait until sep/oct :/

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I'd say go for a 4S, the battery life on my 5 is shocking

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I'd probably vote for the 4S also. I've still got a 4 but I've looked at the 5 and can't see anything there I can't live without. :shrug:

For me, the real reason to upgrade is always the availability of the latest IOS on the device. When they come out with a new version of IOS that isn't supported on my current device, that's when I start thinking about upgrading. The 4, 4S and 5 are all still on the same IOS versions. When my 4 falls off that list, then I'll think about upgrading.

Tom :)macwave:... software driven...)

5. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

This is really interesting.

I have a 4 and due an upgrade soon.

Have thought about an android and still I can't decide.

The iphone 4 I must say has been fantastic for me, and has never let me down so I am tempted to stick with iphone.

My only gripe is the battery life and if the 5 is worse then I'm tempted to move away from the iphone.

6. foreverducky

Thanks everyone for you input! I just can't believe how much a decision this has become. I think I put more effort into finding a new phone that I would finding an apartment. :yes:

7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

See I'm tempted to go with a galaxy s4 or something but I find them more difficult to use so I'm going to stick with my 5. I only got a year contract so will be swapping over to giffgaff as soon as its ended.

You might be able to tempt me with an iwatch... As that is what i need for the gym

8. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Personally I'd go for a great deal on the 4s over paying more for a five. If you waited until the 5s, and went with a 5 then I'd also recommend white as the black edging on mine has been scratched to bits and that is just from the case!

9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I was a total iPhone person until I discovered the S3. Now I'd never go back to iPhone.

10. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

NOt long until I am due an upgrade. Really really tempted by the HTC one. Does anyone have one of those?

11. keith

I have them all at work (we support all the different phones etc.) and the HTC one is the best android phone we've yet seen.

As well made as an iphone, speakers WAY better, blinkfeed on the front screen is great.

So if you want an android phone, yeah it's a great choice.

The only fly in the chardonnay is HTC themselves :( they've got a very bad reputation for upgrading the software. So for example, phones that came out only a year ago have already been taken off the upgrade schedule, they'll get no official HTC upgrades. That's quite important with android really as it does move on quickly and there are security considerations.

you CAN buy an HTC one without the HTC software on it and of course that would be upgradeable as soon as google bring out a new version but then you do miss out on the HTC stuff like blinkfeed. Still get the great hardware though.

12. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Quite an important issue really. I will be having the phone for two years (as it will be on contract) and while I'm not to fussed if the software is out of date what I am concerned about is being able to use the apps for the duration of the contract.

Thanks for this info as its quite important for me. :)

13. keith

Well, android apps tend to support older versions as unlike Apple, most people running android are running non-latest versions. So I wouldn't worry TOO much about apps stopping working :yes:

14. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris looked at the htc one yesterday and was disappointed, he said it is not as well made as the iphone :thud: he didn't like it because he said it was a piece of plastic sandwiched between the aluminium. It put him off straight away even though it has good points.

15. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

See I've been really chuffed with my iPhone. I've had it two years nearly and it had one small problem which was so easy to sort in an apple shop.

Ive had sonys and samsungs in the past and always been disapointed. The htc has been the only one really to tempt me away and that really is only because of the price.

The iPhone 5 deals are crazy at the minute and I wanted to reduce my monthly cost if I could, which is looking unlikely with the 5.

Do we know when the 5s will be announced and is it likely to reduce the price of the 5 straight away?

16. keith

almost certainly announced next monthish for a late sept/early oct launch

Availability can be constrained at first which means people will still go after the 5 but yeah, the price normally goes down pretty quickly... perhaps 70-100 cheaper

Thing is, all things considered, the 4/4s were probably the sweet spot. The 5 really doesnt add much other than an extra row of icons and worse battery life :(

17. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Went phone shopping last night for a new phone for the girlfriend and ended up having a phone too!

Had to pay £30 for the phone (which I wasn't happy with) but every shop I went to told me the same thing that apple set the prices of the phones.

So I managed to get them to chuck in an extra charger and a case etc which softened the blow a little.

We both ended up having the iphone 5 after I have a play with the HTC one.

I've been happy with my iphone so I thought that is good enough.

Set up Jess' within a few minuites apps all set up etc.

Mine took a few hours sadly as I had to install each app individually for some reason.

Anyway It seems a very solid phone and very quick however I didn't go with a 4g provider to keep the cost down.

Battery is very similar to my other iphone (so far) so we shall see how it goes.

18. foreverducky

I got an email yesterday from Verizon saying that 3 new Droid phones were coming out in August.

I'm still bouncing all the phones back and forth. The Samsung Galaxy phone is big and I've heard great things about it...but it sure is big.

I want to get my money's worth, but don't want to spend a fortune either.

19. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Donna and I both have the Verizon Droid Razr. Hers works fine but I have had lots of problems with mine. We are eligible for new phones in October I believe. One of my granddaughters just got the Galaxy S4 and yes it looks big but OH MY. I think that will be my next phone.

20. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

The battery on my iPhone5 is more than acceptable. I do plug it back in while I'm having my tea but that's mainly as a precaution as I work evenings and don't want it failing me incase my car breaks down at 22:00!