1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

iPhone apps sounds have stopped! Help!

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Deb, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Ok, I got my new iphone 4 ths week - my first ever iphone - and I am slowly coming to terms with it and trying to love it :D

Last night all of my apps suddenly stopped having sound - I have been through everything I can think in the menu....sounds, notification noises for Faxebook etc, and I can't work out why or how. I have turned everything on and off and resynched. Can anyone please throw any light on this? I'm sure it's something very basic and it's simply my lack of istuff experience :yes:

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Have you tried increasing the volume? It's the switch on the side of the iPhone. Push the + button on the side to increase the volume. Push the - button to decrease it.

Also, make sure you haven't accidentally set it to silent mode. It's the switch on the side above the + button.

Tom :)macwave:.. I've done that too!)

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I have a confession! It took me about 2 months to find that button! Lol

4. Deb

Thanks Tom!! But all the other sounds are still on, like the ringer, message notification, Facebook notifications etc....though I have played with those buttons just in case. And I have checked that each apps sounds are switched to "on".
    It's a mystery I tell you!

5. catrancher

Okay. Couple of other ideas to try. Do you get sound if you plug in a pair of ear buds or headphones?

Second thought.

Have you tried completely turning it off and then back on (rebooting it)? If you don't know how, hold down the "home" button on the front and the "on/off sleep/wake" switch on the top together. Keep holding both of them down and after a few moments, you'll get "slide to power off" notification. Go ahead and power it off. It'll take a minute or so to shut down. Once it's shut down, press the "on/off sleep/wake" switch on the top. It'll boot back up. Then you can try your app sounds again.

Tom :)macwave:... odd. Very odd.)

6. Deb

Thanks Tom.

Yes, I switched it on and off again yesterday, and nothing! And the sound doesn't come through the earphones :unsure:

The only thing I can think of to do is to delete them all and reload them....which seems a bit extreme but I don't know what else to do.

7. catrancher

Deb,

If you've been through all that I might be inclined to make an appointment with the genius at the Apple Store. Take it in to them and see what they think.

I really can't think of anything else to do. :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... puzzled. And all that!)

8. Deb

Ok Tom, the sounds are working again - I hadn't yet put any music onto it and yesterday synched it with my itunes music - and lo and behold the sounds for the apps came on again as if my magic! Totally puzzled, as it doesn't answer the question as to why they suddenly went off in the first place when nothing had changed, and why putting music on should affect that, but hey it's working!!!!

Thanks Tom for all your puzzling. Maybe iPhones are so smart they just get into bad moods and make decisions for themselves!

9. catrancher

Glad you got it sorted! :thumbsup:

But I'm still puzzled by the whole thing. :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... as long as it's working...)

10. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I love the genius at the 02 store, he has helped me solve many a problem....well, not so much problem, more me being stupid :lol:

11. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

My ipod touch did that to me as well. Turned out it was because I wasn't actually turning it right off but just switching it to standby. :oops: