1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Ireland Day 7 Sat 16/8

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by mumof2, Aug 30, 2008.

1. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

Part one

we were supposed to be driving over the Waterford today to visit the Magic Road (where the car rolls backwards up the hill) and the Mahon Falls where we'd been to in 2006 but the weather was sooooo bad, and the forecast said there were possibilites of floods over there. :(

As we've been before no-one was overly thrilled at the thought of a long drive in the rain, so we may have to go back and do that one again one day!

Instead, we drove down to Rosslare Strand where we could see the harbour - the boats were in and we saw the fast ferry we were supposed to have travelled out on......it looked tiny next to the bigger slow ferry!

We then went to Rosslare Strand along past where Mum and Dad used to have their cottage - DH and I were pretty stunned and sad to see how much the area has changed over the last 20 years, there are so many new houses where there used to be nothing but green fields and old cottages......

We drove along the strand to the end where the road meets the sea - luckily the tide was out!

When we got back to the house my cousin Pat dropped in to say hello and goodbye as he was off to sunny Malta shortly - lucky man, i wonder if the sun *was* shining for him!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. mumof2

part two

Around 7.45pm we popped down to Carne where there is a little harbour. A little dog came over to say hello and, as is usual, had to say hello to each one of us before he (or she?) sat down with us! After shaking hands with doggy and taking a few pictures we then jumped in the car and drove on to where there is a little lane leading you right to the beach.

The lane is so narrow that if a car parks behind you you're stuck there 'til they go! You have to reverse back to a turning spot in a field entrance and just as we were getting near it a van came along - we luckily made it just in time!

The beach has boulders on it but i can't remember the history of those, there's also a wind farm there.

It was getting quite windy and the evening was drawing in so we made our way back to Bill and Anns for cake and a cuppa before bed!

Attached Files:

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Fantastic report :p015: I love the photos....especially the first one in part two.

4. mumof2

oh thank you Diane!

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

How rugged is the sea in Ireland! Some of the land too, of course.

I'm generally pretty skittish with dogs that are unfamiliar to me, but in Ireland when I'd be strolling through a given village, invariably there'd be a dog come along to say hello. One of the times I had just purchased a pastie in a little shop. I didn't care for it at all so fed it to the dog that had come along to befriend me. Needless, to say that dog was my best bud for the duration of my stroll through that particular village! :lol:

It's sad when places you remember as peaceful and unimproved become all developed, isn't it? :(

I love the shot of the flowers. :yes:

6. mumof2

oh I'm the same with dogs Tink, i wouldn't normally pet any old dog that walks by me but you can just tell with some of these dogs that they just want to share some time with you! They're not too fussy either, anyone will do! :lol: i did love your doggy story!

yeah rugged sea - that's the sea we travelled out on remember, and now we were thinking "yikes, we've got to go *back* to England on that!"

i can't tell you how i felt when we drove past Mum and dads old place -well, not that it's even still standing.....oh no, a nice new big house on the land instead, that's been there some years now though, it was all the other houses that have sprung up - i just find it so sad, all my memories of playing games with my nephews on the old road out the front of the cottage :(

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Thank goodness you have those memories, eh? :hug2: :sigh; No one can build up houses over those!

8. mumof2

no they absolutely can't....:lol: