Is BOG nice enough for a birthday meal?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plan' started by Deb, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Deb

Deb Active Member

Tomorrow is ADR booking day :mental: It is especially :mental: as we have upgraded our free DP to the Deluxe DP!! There is method in our madness, which is maybe for another thread. But, we are having a little uncertainty as to where to book for our 2nd full day, which happens to be my birthday :D We will be eating early, around 6pm, as our bodies will still be working on UK time, and therefore knowing us we will have been up since the middle of the previous night :rolleyes3:

We have never been to BOG as it opened after our last trip and of course we are really excited to try it. We are especially excited as we can actually have a *gasp* glass of wine with our dinner in the MK!! :jawdrop:

Now this is probably a moot point as it will most likely be fully booked within 5 seconds of the ADR window opening tomorrow, but should I book that for my special birthday meal? I know it is not a total gourmet experience but it does look beautiful and different, but of course not having been I am not sure of the atmosphere or anything else. But they do at least serve a bottle of champagne too so we are covered in that department ;) Our alternative option right now is Narcoossee's, for the menu, and also the view. And of course what we don't do that night we will do another night, but we will not be staying to watch Wishes in either place as it will be too late for our jetlagged heads. Our intention is to get the monorail back to Epcot from either of them and saunter back to the YC through there, then if we feel like partying we can drink as we go, or if we feel like snoozing we can go back. So, what would you do please? :)

And now I need to make my final decision about where to have birthday breakfast......

2. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

well i think so but i'm more into theming than 'gourmet' on holiday :) it can be a little noisy but the surroundings make up for that

3. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It is lovely but the food isn't gourmet and it is noisy.

If you want to be treated like a queen on your birthday then I can think of no better place than the YSH being served by Ricky. Either I or Terry can fix it up for you, I can text him now if you want me to :D

We had our anniversary there and it was perfect from the moment we arrived, I'm glad we never went anywhere else. I loved it.

4. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

BOG would indeed be a very nice place for a birthday dinner, if for no other reasons than the decor, and the Beast. Narcoossee's is also an excellent choice. BUT, dinner with Ricky at the Yachtsman, as Wendy notes, would be superb. As Wendy said they can hook you up, and hopefully your birthday doesn't fall on his night off, though he can rearrange his schedule for special people.

5. Figment

Figment New Member

We are eating at BOG for my birthday in December. :) That being said, we are not into super *fine dining*. We've never done any signature dining and probably never will...closest we have done was Le Cellier before they went signature.

BOG is truly an amazing sight to behold and we've enjoyed our dinner there, but if you are looking to a quiet, very special occasion dinner, I'd book some where else for your birthday and book BOG another night.

6. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have to say this. :sorry: I would NOT book a special meal at Narcoosee's. :( I celebrated one of my birthday's there and it was pretty dreadful.

7. Vikki

Vikki Well-Known Member

I agree. We went there for our 10th wedding anniversary and were really disappointed. Food was so so and the service was awful.

8. uscwest

It's interesting how Narcoossee's gets different ratings. Except for one meal several years ago when I chose the wrong entree despite Donna telling me not to, we've had excellent food and service.

9. Deb

Deb Active Member

It's interesting for me too John, as we have had good food and service at Narcoossee's too. And we like the situation of it too on the water :yes:

Thanks for all of your input everyone. It's confirmed what I thought about BOG. I absolutely, most definitely, want to go for dinner and will be really excited about that, but it does not have to be for my birthday.

The Yachtsman's - well we did have it scheduled in for later in our holiday anyway, especially as it is in our hotel! But Mr Deb had dismissed it as a birthday option straightway when we were originally discussing it, and his main reason being that the neither the view or the theming were strong enough. Though things might be better if we were seated closer to the window. Each time we have been we have been placed at the back, near the entrance, and it has seemed dark. The first time we went the service was appalling, but that was before we brought Ricky into the equation, and of course our service has been wonderful since :) Last time I even left my bank card on the table and he remembered where we were staying and called me up to let me know it was safe. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Wendy :hug2: I am going to sleep on it, but another point for me is that while we are still having early nights because of our jet lag, then we won't have to really do anything to get home! We could have an easy day and a stress free evening. Whereas later in the holiday we will be happier to be out away from the hotel. And steak is Mr Deb's favourite, and I do love a good steak too. So, as I said, I am going to sleep on it :)

10. Tink

Whatever you do don't go to that other YC restaurant, Captain's Grill? Something like that. There is something gone really bad there (insider story) and the service as well as the food are terrible.

Good that you've had good luck with Narcoosee's. :yes: Have you considered Flying Fish? That's nearby. :yes:

11. uscwest

Ooh yeah, Flying Fish is also fabulous. If you go ask for Bob

12. Deb

Deb Active Member

Oh that's a shame Tink. We thoroughly enjoyed Captain's Grill for breakfast, but only as a walk-up. But we certainly wouldn't be going for dinner so no worries. Interesting though.

Flying Fish - in our itinerary, but not a choice for my birthday for some reason. One of those reasons has been the service, and again, being sat at the back of the restaurant near the walkway....there is a theme with us I think! But I shall remember that John, to ask for Bob :yes:

13. Vikki

Vikki Well-Known Member

Can I suggest Grand Floridian Cafe? Perhaps not everyone's first choice, but we did an anniversary meal there last year and it was wonderful. I always find the food to be good there anyway but they made such a huge effort for our special occasion. I think it was because its not somewhere people would normally go for a celebration, so they really made a massive effort for us. The service was the best we have ever experienced at any disney restaurant. I honestly think it's a total undiscovered gem.

14. Deb

Deb Active Member

Vikki, that's interesting as we love the Grand Floridian Cafe and go there each time. The dining room is nice and bright, and the food is really good. We hadn't really thought about it for a celebration place.

Mr Deb is one for views. If we could sit outside and look at a view he would be totally happy, and we are always a little disappointed at how few outdoor dining places there are in the World, though we understand really with the humidity it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. But especially when we are away from home in a sunny place her likes to be able to potentially have a view. I think I am taking far too many things into consideration :D Maybe when the ADR time comes in a couple of hours I will just see what is available :wink2:

15. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You won't have a view but as I said to be treated like a queen on your birthday go to the Yachtsman. The later you go there are less children. If you go earlier, when you are finished you can walk over to Epcot, grab a couple of glasses of Champagne from France and watch IllumiNations from the bridge.

16. Tink

We've not tried it yet, but the new(ish) Mexican restaurant in the world showcase is right at the edge of the lagoon, so there would certainly be views! :yes:

I'm sure you've called for your ADRs by now though so tell us what you've reserved! :D

17. Deb

Deb Active Member

Well, I am online trying to do ADRs and so far can only manage to book two anyway :( And neither for my birthday. I am going to have to call when that window opens in 20 mins, and I don;t like doing it that way, but never mind. One of my reservations was for BOG dinner on the 5th so at least I know I am going there :) Right, I will roll up my sleeves and try again!

18. Tink

Oh geez. Sounds like a load of trouble to make ADRs. I hope the calling is productive!

19. Vikki

Vikki Well-Known Member

How did it go?

20. Deb

Deb Active Member

Well, once I stopped shouting naughty words at the website and picked up the phone that bit was easy. The online booking really was awful though. There were a couple I couldn't get (Tutto Italia 5:30pm for our first night so we can sit outside - only 4:30 and 7:30 available - what is that about? :shrug1: It's not exactly a "must have" for people is it?) and a few I wasn't sure of but I have the big things in for the first 10 days, and now I can sit and work other things around them. I have the last 4 days to do, one day at a time too. I have logged onto MDE and the reservations are connected to it, so that part is working well. I hope they have some lovely Garden Festival magic bands I can buy when I get there :)

After great dithering on the phone I got Yachtsman for my actual birthday, and Narcoossee's for the day afterward. If we want some breathing space and decide we want to change then we can, but at least we have them booked :)

I also seem to have BOG dinner reservations on 2 nights! :jawdrop: I may not keep both, but at least I can play with them and bask in the glory of having them, and decide which one to drop later :D