is longhorns any good please?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plan' started by goofygal, Jan 17, 2015.

1. goofygal

goofygal New Member

I've read somewhere else sorry that longhorns is the best you can get for steak but when we tried it a couple of years ago it was really poor quality and Im wondering if its just that its all those people have tried?

mannys chop house was rubbish too before anyone suggests that

2. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We have had good and not so good at Longhorns, but I think overall you can't beat their steaks.

It's the service that let them down for me :sigh:

3. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Argh :/ I only tried longhorns once. I'm a total steak fan but I wasn't impressed with Longhorns at all. The steak was just ok, the service was ok ironically and I DID love the decoration :) I do hear a lot of people praising it though so perhaps I should try it again

4. Isafari

Isafari Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Longhorns is my husbands favourite plave to eat in Florida. He swears by their steaks.
    I tend to eat chicken most evenings as I'm not a big fan of steak and Longhorns chicken was boring. However, last summer and twice again this past Christmas I have had their ribs and they are superb! I always raved about Tony Romas for ribs but Longhorns beat them hands down.

5. keith

Home Page:
    see it makes me think I should try it again :/ which longhorns did you try issy?

6. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Keith, IMHO, Longhorns is more of an every day steakhouse compared to the quality of steals that I know you like to eat. I don't think it would be anywhere near up to your standards.

7. keith

Home Page:
    Ah fair point usc :yes: it may be that, perhaps I'm being unfair and expecting too much at the price point

8. Isafari

Isafari Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Most of the time we visit the one off junction 32 on the I4 on our way back from BG.

9. Wendy

Longhorn is basically cheap and cheerful Keith. The steaks are nice, we have Flo's Filet, but it's not the same as you would get at say the Columbia and that's not a steakhouse.

We used to go to the one in Winter Garden as it was so much nicer than one for tourists on the 192, it was also an annual tradition. It's supposed to not be so good now, so we will have to find somewhere else to go :sigh:

10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    I'm reading that a lot of the eateries that were once good have gone downhill? I guess we'll have to rethink where we eat, Manny's is not getting good reviews anymore and I'm not wanting to go all that way if it's not worth it. I'm going to try a few I've never tried before this year and see what I think.

Also I have to be so careful what I eat and I now have to be so picky as I can't eat very much so what I do eat has to be really good quality. I can't fill up on rubbish, rubbish now for me is garlic bread, onion rings that sort of thing. I have to have good quality meat and veg or salad.

11. keith

Home Page:
    It depends how much you want to spend too.... I mean the capital grille at the mall at millenia is really first rate

12. Esmeralda

I don't mind spending if the food is good, but I can't do BIG as in V and A because even though small portions it's still too much food in total for me. I will make a note of that Keef, thanks. The amount of meat I can eat is a small filet size steak with about three chips :( Me and DD are planning on sharing a plate as she's in the same boat as me meal wise. We're very cheap dates lol.

13. Esmeralda

No one looks at me if I go to GC and get a plate of mash, gravy and green beans and that's it. No one is wondering why or making me feel uncomfortable, maybe that's why I like to go there, I can choose the amount I put on my plate.

14. keith

Home Page:
    Oh totally agree Esme, should be able to have exactly what you want :yes:

I think the world is slowly understanding that the portion sizes we have today are silly anyway. Definitely a lesson I need to learn but it'd help if the restaurants understood too

15. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Longhorn. :sigh: As Wendy says, once upon a time it was our "supper place." Not a fancy place by any means, rather the "McDonald's" of steak. Cheap, decent enough, and plentiful. Then Darden hit the skids and all things have changed, with service being horrible, and the menu undergoing a downturn.

Unfortunate, too as it was a good price point. Now, if you really want a steak you'd better head to the pricey places, or you're out of luck.

Esme, GC is decent enough if you choose the right one, eh? :yes: The one nearest to Disney seems to be the best kept with the best quality food. I think it's because they are so busy. Don't venture far from that one though.

Some people really like Outback. I'm not one of them. Have never liked it. Don't like Manny's either. Surprisingly enough, Chili's has undergone a menu change and increased the training of its servers. They've added two steaks to the menu, neither are incredible, but again decent enough for weekly supper. One is a sirloin and one is a rib steak. It's not our favorite place by any means, and we once had service so bad I wrote a complaint to the manager, but they've inched upwards. Not a place to "go out to dinner" rather a place to stop and grab a bite because you are too tired to cook that night.

Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Capital Grill, Del Frisco's, Flemings... those are all upper end, but are known for excellent steaks. :yes:

16. Esmeralda

Taking notes.... I have to say though, even the roughest steak in USA is far far superior lol than our UK steak, imho. I only go to the GC near Celebration on the 192. I even liked their steak. I'm so sick of tasteless rip off UK steaks :( Even USA pork chops are delicious and ours are getting more and more meh.

17. keith

Home Page:
    oh heck yeah I agree with you there! the UK has generally forgotten how to cook nice steak (if they ever really knew). I think anyone who'd tried a nice steak house in the US would be amazed to experience most UK places :( and not in a good way.

18. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    Ooh I've got to reply to this. I never buy supermarket steaks but we have a lovely local butcher here (been in the family hands for a good few years) and their steaks are to die for. We love steak medium rare and they are absolutely fantastic. We tend to compare our steaks here to those in US and the only ones that come near are those at the Yachtsman.

19. Wendy

We've got a local butcher as well and the steaks we get from him are fabulous. I am very critical of the way my steaks are cooked and the only place, other than cooked by me, are the ones I get in the US.

We have been to Miller and Carter Seakhouse in Cardiff and it was a good steak by UK standards but we also went to one in Poole and it was rubbish.

The only place I have had a steak that was as good as the US was at a restaurant in London, the Pheasant Restaurant It is strange place layout wise but the fillet steak was to die for and cooked perfectly. Chris likes his steak well done and they asked if he minded it butterflied. His steaks are normally chargrilled on the outside to make sure it is cooked properly right through. The service was excellent. It's just a shame it is so far away.