1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is mama melrose any good?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by disney1sttimer, Feb 16, 2011.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Im thinking we could do mama melrose for the fantasmic package this year but wondering if its better than the brown derby
  2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Good question!

I've got to set the way-back machine since it's been a few years since my DW and I did either of these but here's what I can remember.

First of all, they were both good. At least the last time we were there. At the time we went, Mama Melrose's had a grilled prime rib that was about the best thing I ever put in my mouth. But that was then, and this is now. So, here's what I can recall.

The Brown Derby was quite a bit more formal while Mama Melrose's had a more relaxed, laid back atmosphere to it. The Brown Derby cuisine seems to cater more toward things like steak whereas Mama Melrose's is of course, Italian.

Also, keep in mind that if you're on the dining plan, the Brown Derby is considered signature dining and will cost you 2 table service credits per person whereas Mama Melrose's is only one.

Hope this helps. At least some. :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... now I'm hungry!)
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We have not eaten at Mama Melrose in many years. The one time we did eat there we weren't impressed and haven't been back. It appears that it can be either hit or miss. Some love it, some hate it, and some think it is OK.

Brown Derby, in it's day, was a top line restaurant, not only at DHS but also in Hollywood. The one in Hollywood has long ago shuttered its doors. The food at the one at WDW had IMHO gone quickly down hill and the only thing worth ordering, to me at least was the Cobb Salad. So, that said, we decided to venture into the Brown Derby at lunch in October, ostensibly for the Cobb Salad. We ended up ordering several appetizers to go with it and were suitably impressed. We relayed to our server that we normally avoided BD like the plague and told her why. She sent a manager over to us. We had a lovely chat about how they had brought in a new chef and that he had reinvigorated the menu. We are looking forward to trying it again for dinner on one of our trips.
  4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

That's good information and just goes to show how important the chef is to the overall success of the venue. :yes:

A given restaurant may be bad one time and excellent at a later date all because of a change in the chef. But sadly, without first hand reports, we have no way of knowing if that's the case.

Tom :)macwave:... fan of inside information!)