1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is narcoosees any good?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by dvcjane, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dvcjane

dvcjane Imagineer

I think its down by the water at the grand floridian. We didnt like citricos very much the times we've tried it so looking for something new

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I think you will get a lot of mixed reactions here. The one time we ate there I didn't care for the food I got (it was a trout dish) but my wife loved hers. The restaurant itself is very nice and if you are there during the fireworks it provides a terrific view and you can go out on their veranda.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I didn't like the service (the server was completely uniterested in her work, couldn't answer questions and barely spoke, essentially sullen and rude througout the special occassion meal).

I didn't like the food. :( It wasn't prepared properly, nor served well. The asparagus I ordered was raw. Not undercooked (that would indicate it had seem some form of heat) but raw. :rolleyes2:

Can't say as I've been willing to return there since.

The much touted Wishes view is obscured by those crowding on the outside deck (for those who wish to stay seated and continue their meal).

Nothing to recommend it from this quarter. :(

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

sigh what to say :lol:

We went there once on a whim, sat by the window, great meal, great service, saw the water pageant, great wine. Really nice peaceful experience.

Next time we tried it, we were sat by the stairs in the middle of the restaurant and attended to, I use the words loosely, by the most offhand server ever (well until the next one that is :). Steak was quite tough, hard to get drinks, just no good.

Time after, we'd booked for citricos with booking reference and everything, turned up and the gates were locked! A very nice lady from v&a came out and checked our booking, yep, we had a booking for a night they were closed. She phoned narcoosees and got us in there.

Well it was an awful experience. We were on the dining plan that time and the moment we sat down, the server came straight over and said on the plan you get this/that what do you want? I said we'd like a little time to look over the menu and I got this look like what are you doing wasting my time. She hovered there until I Said look honestly, we need 5 minutes ok? she tutted and walked away.

Ordering was a hassle with her being awkward, cant remember the specifics but we ordered a bottle of champagne was well which didnt come. I had to prompt her several times and finally she came back, dumped it on the table, no ice bucket, not opened etc. Had to ask her to come back and open it at least, got snapped at "I was doing it!" yeah well when were you planning on doing it? asked to swap a dining plan dessert for a cup of tea or coffee and she went ON about how people were always asking things like that and its impossible. Well fine but just say "sorry thats not allowed on the dining plan", I dont want your life story :rolleyes008:

She brought the bill before we were anywhere near finished and hovered for that. In the end I thought I'd just pay it to get rid of her.. of course there was the one to sign for the dining plan and then a separate one with an enforced tip for the champagne (which I object to but am used to it by now). As I opened the bill, she darted over and gave me a huge speil about how many people left a better tip than the one on the dining plan and you could fill in an optional amount blah blah.

Anyway, I filled in the bill bits... paid my 18% tip but no extra of course. Well she practically slammed the bills back on the table with my card and walked off.

We left and the wonderful v&a lady had arranged for a taxi for us at the GF expense for their mistake.

Anyway next night at the yachtsmans steakhouse we tried to pay using the plan but no credits. They couldnt help us all they could say was that narcoosees had taken out double the credits the night before :(

We got back to our hotel and had a HECK of a job getting them credited back ;( we did eventually call the duty manager who got them credited and we explained we thought it was probably done on purpose by the nasty server. He said it does happen and it's unclear whether they keep the second set of gratuities even if the second plan credits are returned to the card.

So yeah hmmmmmm when its good, it's great but when it's bad.....

5. Tink

Ugh. Yep. Have to admit, that's the sort of thing I'm not surprised to hear about that place. I'll bet you anything (well nearly) your server was the same one we had.

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That is a horrendous story Keith, but sadly I echo the thoughts of you and Tink regarding Narcoosee`s.
    A few years ago we really enjoyed the place but it sure has gone downhill of late....maybe another victim of Disney`s dining policy? :(

Having said that we are going to give it another try when we visit soon, hopefully it may restore my faith!

7. keith

We're thinking of trying it again as well. We'll offer to wait for a window table and if I recognise that horrendous witch of a server, I'll ask to speak to the manager and get a change of table/server

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I don`t suppose you remember her name do you Keith?

9. keith

I don't.... but I'm sure DW will. I'll ask and let you know. The area she saw to was the group of tables in the middle of the restaurant as you first walk in

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

There is absolutely NO excuse for that type of behavior by a waiter/waitress or any other type of service person. I personally would not have left ANY tip at all. I believe you were overly generous Keith. I also would have asked to speak to the manager on duty.

11. keith

I think you're right John.

It's where the included tips work well for rude servers :( if there had have been a blank gratuities line, I would have left it blank with an appropriate comment but because it was already all filled in and worked out, I just didn't want to add to the unpleasantness of the whole thing by having an argument.

12. Tink

Same here. I hate having to ruin a meal (even one that the server has already compromised) or make a bad situation worse by calling for a manager and then going through a huge explanation for why a tip won't be forthcoming. :(

13. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Imagineer

What an awful experience Keith :(

Happily we had just the opposite experience to that.
    Our server was fantastic, even bought out drinks to us while we were watching the fireworks outside. (I did and always do make sure I don't block the view for those seated inside :hug2:) and told us to take our time over the meal and stay all evening if we wanted. She really went out of her way to make sure that we had a lovely time :p015:
    The food was fantastic, all perfectly cooked and presented. I think we had mussels and lobster and then I had almond cheesecake. I may have piccies somewhere.